National Delegate Council 24/01/13 report

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jan 26 2013 00:18
National Delegate Council 24/01/13 report

As our website seems to be down again, I'm posting this report here for the time being.

At our national delegate council on 24/01/13, the Solidarity Federation officially recognised three new locals, in Calderdale, Hastings and the Solent. We also recognised a Belfast local as being in-formation prior to reaching a formal decision at national conference in April.

We also agreed to make regular donations to the Sparrow's Nest library in Nottingham which holds the collection of one of our members which stretches back to the Syndicalist Workers' Federation and is an important record of British anarcho-syndicalism. We will also be making a donation to the London anarchist bookfair collective and encourage others to do the same.

syndicalist
Jan 26 2013 01:17

Good for Solfed....3 new locals!

syndicalist

syndicalist

vanilla.ice.baby
Jan 26 2013 09:17

you seem very excitable syndicalist?

So - this is interesting, does this mean the IWA might decide the partition of Ireland is legitimate?

syndicalist
Jan 26 2013 13:56
vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
you seem very excitable syndicalist?

I am always excited when I see the growth of anarcho-syndicalist organizations! I am glad that other english speaking folks can make gains.

And it is true, I am more emotional then theoretical!

Spikymike
Jan 26 2013 14:18

Odd question on Ireland v.i.p! I don't think the SolFed is in a position to determine legitimacy or otherwise of partition in Ireland into two states, though it seems JC might think they are?

These occassional boundary disputes between anarchist groups in England, Ireland - north and south and Scotland always amuse me.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Jan 26 2013 14:24

We all like a funny story Spikey - what amusing boundary disputes between anarchist groups are you referring to?

akai
Jan 26 2013 17:31

Well, provided there is no IWA section over there, I don't see why anybody would care. And I would hope some of the nice Belfast comrades I have met would be either closely cooperating with or in SF. Why not?

The issue of borders and countries are sometimes quite tricky and I just do not see why anarchists or anarchosyndicalists should really give a fuck about this to much. If a group is in close proximity to or can work with another, what the fuck. This was an issue at one point for the post-Soviet comrades and the post-Yugoslav comrades, but ultimately you have to use common sense. So, for example, if Moldovans have good contacts with Romanians and want to be in one organization, why not. If they want to be separate, also their business.

As to deciding whether the partition of any countries is legitimate, or whether declaration of autonomy are legitimate or not, I think the IWA has nothing to say in the matter, unless it directly effects one of our Sections. For example, if the Basques from the CNT said that they would form their own CNT and want recognition from the IWA, or the Silesians from ZSP or something like that. Then I am sure there would be a discussion.

Congrats to SF on the new locals.

Deezer
Jan 27 2013 14:50

Speaking as one of the Belfast comrades this move has nothing to do with recognising the 'legitimacy' of partition. Like it or not this wee bit of the world is governed by the same state as governs Glasgow, London, Brighton, Liverpool etc. We are facing the same welfare 'reform' and attacks. This move makes practical sense from a class perspective. Some issues still need discussed but as anarcho-syndicalists none of us recognise the legitimacy of borders or states. The irish state is no more legit than the uk one.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 28 2013 11:10

Actually there's loads of other potential options, but yeah that's for discussing through the official channels rather than here.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jan 28 2013 11:17

Three tenable, principled options perhaps?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 28 2013 19:19

Off the top of my head:

- "Sponsoring" Belfast as being its own entity benefiting from SF's larger base
- Time or size limiting Belfast as an integrated part of SF so that beyond a certain point it becomes its own section and encouraging that process (a "section in formation," sort of thing)

Or whatever, you get the gist.

[Edited: Extra bit no longer relevant]

syndicalist
Jan 28 2013 14:23

Not for me to say....but this seems to be an age old question. Far back as I can remember.
But my question is, if the folks from Belfast sought out the SF, what's the issue?

Conversely, when some folks in Canada sought out WSA (I know, different history between lands), I'd say we were ok with that. Some of us less so then others, but it was their initiative, not ours. Or you simply say no? Or work with folks as long as a relationship has mutual value or until they form their own "national" organization?

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jan 29 2013 09:46

deleted, irrelevant stuff

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Jan 28 2013 19:19

[Edited: no longer relevant]

Deezer
Jan 28 2013 23:24

Or you all might just piss off anarcho-syndicalists in Ireland and stop what would be a positive move forward for anarcho-syndicalist and working class organising dead in its tracks.

As for the B&I SolFed dig I'm sure its above most peoples heads but for it to have any merit (rather than as a glib insult) SolFed would have to subscribe to a Stalinist notion of what constituted a legitimate 'state' or nation. I don't believe this is the case.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Jan 28 2013 23:57

For me, the guiding principle is: the working-class has no country, therefore we organise and federate voluntarily where we want and whenever we deem it necessary.