New IWA External Bulletin

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 26 2012 17:17
New IWA External Bulletin

The IWA hasn't always been the best at communicating what it's up to to the outside world, especially in English (SF is the only full section in an English-speaking country). So now there's a new External Bulletin being produced (pdf). Contents:

IWA External Bulletin wrote:
From the Secretariat
First of May 2012
IWA Action Days
The CNT Calls for a General Strike March 29
IWA Days of Action Worldwide
CNT Strikes in Spain on March 29
International Support of the Strike in Spain
IWA Days of Action in the UK
ZSP Participation During IWA Days of Action
31.03.2012: Rally-picket in Moscow
(KRAS-AIT) IWA- Action Days: Rally! Hands off Social Rights!
Support to the General Strike on March 29 called by the Spanish CNT- AIT!
The SF-IWA will be launching a campaign against Workfare as part of the IWA-Actions
IWA International Mobilizations and the European Day Against Capitalism M31 in Spain
About the M31 Meeting in Modena on March 31, 2012

International Solidarity Campaigns
Solidarity with the ABB Strike
RyanAir Don't Care Action Week
Solidarity Actions at Roche
Solidarity with the CNTE at the National Library in Madrid

From the IWA Sections
5th Anniversary of ZSP
Where strikes are forbidden, there is no right to strike!
Report on the March 22nd General Strike in Portugal
CNT Against Labor Reform in Spain
USIS on Kilkis
Belgrade Six
Statement of the USI-AIT (on the police raid on the squat where USI has its headquarters)
ILO on FAU Berlin
Solidarity against Repression in Kazakhstan
FF Mercantil Struggle Continues
Actions in Roche Conflict
XX Congress of USI
USI in Leroy Merlin in Carugate (Milan)

jolasmo
May 26 2012 17:24

Sick!

~J.

syndicalist
May 26 2012 17:45

We'll pass the info along.

syndicalist
May 29 2012 17:02

So WSA folks found it of interest. Has raised the age old discussion about WSA and the IWA; WSA and IWA relations; building better relations with IWA Sections, etc.

Thanks for posting the link.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 29 2012 17:04

You might as well creating entry under the "publications" tag and put them in there

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 29 2012 18:12

I'm happy to put it in the library, just didn't want to spam libcom with IWA stuff. I'll create a 'publication' book outline once the next one comes out.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Sep 28 2012 15:38

bump, no. 2's out now. note to self to add to library/publications tag.

syndicalist
Sep 28 2012 16:14

self-deleted.

akai
Feb 27 2013 20:57

New one out: http://www.iwa-ait.org/content/iwa-external-bulletin-4

solidariedade
Feb 28 2013 12:26

Unfortunately, as is almost always the case with the IWA and it's sections, not much care seems to have been put into the publication itself. I don't mean the articles (generally good) but their formal organization on the page. There are obvious readability problems, and the overall look is amateurish. If this is an attempt from the international to communicate with the outside world, it would be helpful to give some thought on how it should be communicated.

syndicalist
Feb 28 2013 13:33

All things considered, it's informative enough. Particularly the stuff which we don't see here on Libcom.

MT
Mar 1 2013 09:15

I've just scrolled the document and see that the design is so far the best compared to the previous issues. I haven't see any readability problems and certainly don't feel that the overall look is amateurish. The editor's job was done very decently I would say. But maybe my usual critical perspective failed me...

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Mar 1 2013 11:48

solidariedade, I tend to work on the principle that if you have an issue with something like that you can a) give constructive criticism as opposed to just "looks amateurish" etc which doesn't help tell people what needs changing b) get involved to do it yourself c) stfu because otherwise all you're doing is dragging down other activists.

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Mar 1 2013 13:30

There are a few things that could be improved with the design, but overall I think it looks OK. I don't think having fancy design is the most important thing for this type of publication anyway.

Also, as Rob says, some constructive advice would be a lot more helpful than just telling them off.

I might be good to have a more accessible download button for it on the web site though, especially as it is placed in the category "Downloads".

solidariedade
Mar 1 2013 15:09

Ok. Perhaps I was a bit harsh. I didn't mean to put down all the effort and time that went into the bulletin.

However in activist circles, I think design is generally seen as an afterthought, and not something that is part and parcel of a publication and which will definitely influence it's reception.

My general impression is that for a big part of the activist milieu, if the characters are on the page and aren't totally unreadable, then everything else is superfluous, a bourgeois affectation.

As for constructive criticism, I definitely think that the two column layout is not the best option for on screen reading. The justified text makes the page look too heavy, while the spacing between characters and words is not consistent throughout. The titles provide little or no relief (for lack of a better word) between articles, making the bulletin appear as one giant text. The images, instead of appearing just as a token visual attachment, could have been used more sparingly, but with different sizes, providing some kind of surprise effect. I could go on.

Overall, the layout has no rhythm, it appears lifeless, boring and dry.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Mar 1 2013 16:07

Layout? What about the content? Flaming hell, it's not a coffee table accessory.

solidariedade
Mar 1 2013 16:17

Whatever. Is it that difficult to comprehend that the way words appear on the page is relevant for what is being written? Do you take pride in being thick or you'r just having a bad day?

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Mar 1 2013 16:36

Yeah, like, whatever.

syndicalist
Mar 1 2013 17:52
plasmatelly wrote:
Layout? What about the content? Flaming hell, it's not a coffee table accessory.

Astetic improvements are things folks can work on. Personally --- and maybe it's just me --- I paid more attention to the information. Afterall, that's the "attraction", the content, the struggles, the news.

Although I'm not IWA, I wish the comrades well and hope they continue to make adjustments and improvements as time rolls on.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Mar 1 2013 19:12

Look, this isn't a working group for the IWA External Bulletin. Personally I find it disappointing that on a place like Libcom, people are more inclined to talk about the layout as opposed to the contents. My understanding and experience of the best way trying to win people over to new ideas and forms of organising is through practical, real experience - exactly what the IWA is about and exactly what is demonstrated in the bulletin.