DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

State internet repression in the public sector

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Harrison
Feb 5 2011 17:44
State internet repression in the public sector

Through my public sector workplace computers i am able to access afed, libcom and other sites.
however, it seems links to radical workplace struggle / syndicalist websites are blocked. this would be the only rational explanation i could think of that would explain why http://www.solfed.org.uk/ is blocked.

Weird.

Heres a pic of what appears instead:

(open the image url http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee364/froggermonster1/solfedblocked.png to read the text)

We had a library day of action today, a few trots turned up and left despicable counterfire leaflets everywhere.

Anyway, just thought i'd let SolFed know that you're important enough for the state to intentionally repress specifically you in the workplace smile

Bluedog's picture
Bluedog
Feb 6 2011 10:50

wow didnt expect that, maybe solfed is taken more seriously in the workplace than i thought! Weere you unable to access any other workplace struggle websites? IWW?

Has anyone else experienced this through public sector workplaces? Or anywhere else for that matter?

no1
Feb 6 2011 12:48

Thanks for letting us know, that's kind of interesting. What happens if you try to access the site at http://solidarityfederation.org.uk/ ? (it's identical to solfed.org.uk)

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Feb 6 2011 14:15

Interesting. Might be an automated keyword thing? Can you access mainstream union sites? Also, be careful, I once got pulled up at a (private sector) job when they printed out a list of websites I'd been on with libcom at the top. If it's blocking you it's probably being recorded somewhere, even if nobodys looking at the data at the moment.

gypsy
Feb 6 2011 15:47
Joseph Kay wrote:
Interesting. Might be an automated keyword thing? Can you access mainstream union sites? Also, be careful, I once got pulled up at a (private sector) job when they printed out a list of websites I'd been on with libcom at the top. If it's blocking you it's probably being recorded somewhere, even if nobodys looking at the data at the moment.

Yep I never access libcom from workplaces because of the fear of this.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 6 2011 16:41

A lot of big employers have software which automatically monitors Internet usage. Sites which are accessed a lot are then flagged to IT, who look at it and if they see it is not work-related they block it. That could be what has happened here

Harrison
Apr 29 2011 20:47

i'll give some other sites a try when i'm next at work (i'm a student for most of the week).

could be internet filters. if so, apparently solidarity is prohibited in public sector lol.

my co-workers know i'm a militant, and it's just a general login, so i'm not worried.

what steven says makes sense, but i've never tried solfed.org.uk before last sat. perhaps there is another anarchist in x public sector who triggered the block.

Mike Harman
Feb 8 2011 13:56

You could try Tor - http://www.torproject.org/

It includes a browser, which iirc you can run from a usb stick too.

However you'd need to make sure you don't get caught using Tor itself, since that might be as bad as them logging particular websites in terms of IT policy.

vanilla.ice.baby
Feb 20 2011 10:52
Mike Harman wrote:
You could try Tor - http://www.torproject.org/

It includes a browser, which iirc you can run from a usb stick too.

However you'd need to make sure you don't get caught using Tor itself, since that might be as bad as them logging particular websites in terms of IT policy.

Indeed running something off a stick would almost certainly be worse in my experience, I would unfortunately advise people not to try and access blocked sites or work around blocks unless they intend to make a stand over it.

cobbler
Feb 26 2011 20:04

I never access that type of site from work. I know for a fact they log all our internet traffic.

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Feb 26 2011 20:12

As stated by others more eloquently, don't access that stuff from work. Ideally, encrypt it with stuff like Tor at home too, if you've fast enough internet!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 27 2011 00:42

Yeah, in general I would say that people should not try to access blocked material from work, definitely if it's in a permanent job. If you just have a crappy temp job then I would say don't worry about it, access away!

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Mar 11 2011 15:55

Just been in Toxteth library and couldn't find SolFed on Google. Some of the local sites came up but not the national one. The website comes up if you type the web address in though.

petey
Mar 11 2011 17:29
Mike Harman wrote:
However you'd need to make sure you don't get caught using Tor itself

don't quite follow, is there an 'official' tor, different from the torproject?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Mar 11 2011 20:53
Mike Harman wrote:

An IT tech at a previous workplace told me that you could get done under misuse of computers act for going around filters and blocks. It's probably not worth the effort as you will probably get sacked if they catch you.

Harrison
Apr 23 2011 18:14
Steven. wrote:
Yeah, in general I would say that people should not try to access blocked material from work, definitely if it's in a permanent job. If you just have a crappy temp job then I would say don't worry about it, access away!

yeah this is just a part time job until i go to uni.
i've even done stupid stuff like left anti-cuts based criticisms on the head bureaucrat's blog
(which i got some funny careerist replies to btw)

martinh
May 13 2011 20:01

Most local authorities will have a rule against using USB sticks, for data protection reasons. I've known of people lost their jobs for being casual about data. It will be a much worse offense than going onto a dodgy website

radicalgraffiti
May 13 2011 23:00

there are various proxies if you search proxy on google, they will probably get blocked as they are found but you should be able to find one that works for a while, just don't use them for anything where you need to log in.

lostlost
May 27 2011 21:49

im afraid im one of that generation in the uk who are not very clued in to computer systems,but the following might be of interest and/or help to other revolutionaries and workplace militants.

i work in the public sector.my employers use computer systems amongst other things to distribute key guidance in relation to the work we do.so i found it realy frustrating that workplace/professional guidance often gives links to other websites.i then found my and others computers configured in such a way that my computer refused access to said links.it took management intervention to get the configuration changed.that said i am not making an argument about management being progressive.

on the other hand,i would advise extreme care in accessing certain sorts of websites not only at the workplace during worktime,but at any time.anyone accessing such sources needs to"arm themselves"with the knowledge and arguments to meet and counter any management offensive on these issues.that old saying "we may (not)be paranoid,but they are still out to get us."i have seen and heard of how such issues can be divisive,and indeed am aware of high levels of fear in workplaces in relation to computer usage.whilst it may not be fair on workers part to assume that all our colleagues are safe,competent and well versed in computer technology,i would indeed suggest that there is a need for sharing and publishing workers and activists guidance and good practice and indeed campaigning tools for ourselves and others.so im posing that as both idea and question?is there any campaigning/activist material on these issues out there?