Solidarity Networks and "Occupy"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
blarg
Oct 29 2011 19:59
Solidarity Networks and "Occupy"

How are solidarity networks relating to the Occupy movements? In Seattle a bunch of our most active people (not including myself, sadly, but I have a good personal excuse...) have been doing a ton of work at Occupy Seattle, but we've still been able to simultaneously keep our usual Solidarity Network activities going. Also we've added a bunch of people from Occupy to our phone tree. It's been a challenge to have enough solid people with the time and energy to keep all this going, and to keep SeaSol free from the dysfunctional tendencies of Occupy, but so far so good.

However I wonder whether the newer solnets have been able to engage with Occupy without getting overwhelmed and letting the longer term solnet-building project fall apart? How's it going out there?

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Oct 30 2011 18:18

occupy has taken over everything or the attention. our solnet in pvd is definitely dead in the water as it speaks, or just lurking about. but all it really takes is hitting the streets. we are going to try to do a teach in about ourselves and stuff in the upcoming week.

888's picture
Oct 31 2011 18:48

I think the question is more how should solidarity networks relate to occupy beyond merely recruiting people. Can we push Occupy in a more useful direct action related direction?

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Oct 31 2011 21:40

well that has been one thing that has been sort of successful. occupy in my city has sort of become a flying squad for the issues many groups are dealing with.

tastybrain
Oct 31 2011 22:11

I think there is a great deal of potential in bringing the two groups. Not that solnets should get too wrapped up in Occupy stuff to continue their good work, but I feel like solnets might be able to find new fights at these events as many of these people have specific grievances that could be acted on. In fact I saw one "I am the 99%" sign where the person mentioned being a victim of wage theft.

knotwho's picture
knotwho
Nov 18 2011 21:00

unOccupy ABQ (the name chosen by 'consensus') is in the midst of confusion (rival factions, basically), and I haven't been to the GAs recently. But the relationship with unOccupy has actually been somewhat beneficial to our SolNet, thus far. Some of the people involved in the SolNet were able to recruit a few folks for an action last week (which wasn't exactly successful: the boss wasn't there). Another group started up with the aim of using direct action to prevent foreclosure evictions. They're very new, but I hope they're successful. Our SolNet is currently only focused on workplace issues, though the housing angle is something we're hoping to build.

John E Jacobsen's picture
John E Jacobsen
Nov 24 2011 15:02

Knotwho - what led you all to decide not to include housing fights in your SolNet work?

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Nov 26 2011 01:03

Yeah I wonder about this too. I saw that Steel City Solidarity sorta is similar. Also CAP was pretty much only housing oriented. I think it would be much more interesting to find ways to actually broaden the focus while still not falling into jumping from activist project to activist project.

knotwho's picture
knotwho
Nov 30 2011 18:21

"what led you all to decide not to include housing fights in your SolNet work?"

We figured our knowledge-base is more rooted with workplace issues. Also a matter of capacity: trying to build a solid group of participants before taking on a lot more fights.

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been on here in a while.