a good copy of capital

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 14 2009 12:25
a good copy of capital

Hi,

I am looking to get a copy of Marx's Capital and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a version. Also, would it be worthwhile getting an introduction to capital and would an abridged version be alright? I'm not exactly flush with cash so if any are suitable I would prefer a cheaper abridged version.

Cheers,

Kakumei

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Dec 14 2009 13:50

i would avoid the abridged one if I were you - the penguin UK versions of capital seem pretty good (about a tenner on amazon for vol1)

Ben Fine did a pretty good small/concise introduction to capital that's good at giving a general overview (of volumes 1 through 3) of everything - and may be worth reading before you plunge into it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marxs-Capital-Ben-Fine/dp/074532049X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260798469&sr=1-3

other than that just do the free online davidharvey lectures to take you through volume 1
http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/

tigersiskillers
Dec 14 2009 14:17

There's a speech Marx gave to the IWMA, Value, Price and Profit that gives a decent intro to volume 1/overview of the main concepts. Like the Ben Fine book (and there are many similar guides) it'll help but won't be a substitute for reading the real thing.

ETA: Getting an abridged copy is a false economy, get a 2ndhand version of the penguin edition from amazon/abe books.

kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 14 2009 14:36
oisleep wrote:
i would avoid the abridged one if I were you - the penguin UK versions of capital seem pretty good (about a tenner on amazon for vol1)

Ben Fine did a pretty good small/concise introduction to capital that's good at giving a general overview (of volumes 1 through 3) of everything - and may be worth reading before you plunge into it
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marxs-Capital-Ben-Fine/dp/074532049X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260798469&sr=1-3

other than that just do the free online davidharvey lectures to take you through volume 1
http://davidharvey.org/reading-capital/

Is this the penguin version you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capital-Critique-Political-Economy-Classics/dp/0140445684/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260800778&sr=8-5

I think I might go for that introduction one first (after Christmas I think!). I have heard that it can be a bit heavy if you just dive straight into the full version. I'll probably check out those other texts too.

Cheers,

Kakumei

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Dec 14 2009 14:43

yep that's the one

the davidharvey lectures would probably be your best bet to get through the first few chapters of volume 1 - if you feel nothing makes sense at all in the first three chapters don't worry about it, you could pretty much skip them/skim thorugh and read them again once you've finished the rest of the book, will make much more sense then and you're far less likely to give up in frustruation - they're worth reading again once you finish volume 1 anyway

kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 14 2009 14:49

I've bookmarked it now so I will take a look when I get some time. Thanks for the advice, I've been meaning to get the book for a while but I always got put off by what I had been told by friends.

I guess I can always come back here if I have any further questions .

Cheers,

Kakumei
(I think I might stop writing my user name after this, it's clearly a mistakegrin)

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Dec 14 2009 15:36

if you can read german: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kapital-Kritik-politischen-%C3%96konomie-Produktionsprozess/dp/3320002627/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260804946&sr=1-6

kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 14 2009 16:02

I did German for five years at school and pretty much came out only being able to remember "vergnuegungspark". It's a shame really, but I suppose having not used it for 8 years wouldn't have helped.

Thanks anyway.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 14 2009 18:04

If you can get past the first three chapters, then you should be set. I did a Capital reading group earlier this year and for those that had not read it, the Harvey lectures helped a lot.

When you start reading it, just come and ask questions here. Quite a few people on these boards know their Marx really well.

jura's picture
jura
Dec 14 2009 22:15

Kakumei, also try searching the theory forum on here, precisely your question pops up from time to time and people recommended some useful books as secondary literature to Capital in the past (Fredy Perlman's The Reproduction of Daily Life springs to mind).

kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 17 2009 13:50

Cheers for all the advice guys, I've ordered the Ben Fine book to set me up for the real thing, and I'm looking into the Fredy Pearlman pamphlet. The Harvey lectures seem good too. I'll let you know if I have any problems, got a fair bit of reading to do now! In a slightly unrelated note, a friend of mine asked if i wanted this http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Gods-Masters-Anthology-Anarchism/dp/1904859259/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3JQZ2K46OBWBL&colid=1WGY6ZB46CPSS for Christmas, is it any good?

Lexxi's picture
Lexxi
Dec 17 2009 14:35

Don't buy the abridged version... I've read different translations of Capital, the differences aren't substantial. I'd recommend the Penguin edition too, it has an introduction by Ernest Mandel. However, I don't know about anyone else but my first edition basically fell apart (and I've only read it a couple of times & only read it in my bed). The binding on it sucks, especially for a book that big. If you can cancel your order of the Ben Fine book I would, since I uploaded it before. Personally I think Harvey is a waste of time & ignores so much (understandable, but then he goes into long rants about irrelevant crap).

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Dec 17 2009 14:41

Anyone encounter the Modern Library edition?

Lexxi's picture
Lexxi
Dec 17 2009 15:12

(Not in response to the above bleeep post).

I haven't read it, but this looks okay.

Admin: please avoid throwing feces at other posters. This is a non-flaming forum.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Dec 17 2009 14:52

No, I mean, the physical one. I'd rather be able to read it using tried and true, rain forest-killing technology.

Lexxi's picture
Lexxi
Dec 17 2009 15:03

That post wasn't aimed at you.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Dec 17 2009 15:08
Marsella wrote:
That post wasn't aimed at you.

Well, it did appear after the only post that succeeded your latest post prior to that, so I think my confusion is understandable. Carry on.

Lexxi's picture
Lexxi
Dec 17 2009 15:12

I edited my post so as to avoid confusion.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Dec 17 2009 17:07

Mind editing it again to avoid senseless verbal abuse on a non-flaming part of the forum?

kakumei's picture
kakumei
Dec 29 2009 03:38
Marsella wrote:
Don't buy the abridged version... I've read different translations of Capital, the differences aren't substantial. I'd recommend the Penguin edition too, it has an introduction by Ernest Mandel. However, I don't know about anyone else but my first edition basically fell apart (and I've only read it a couple of times & only read it in my bed). The binding on it sucks, especially for a book that big. If you can cancel your order of the Ben Fine book I would, since I uploaded it before. Personally I think Harvey is a waste of time & ignores so much (understandable, but then he goes into long rants about irrelevant crap).

it was ordered by my sister for christmas for me so i don't think i can cancel it (not arrived yet, going to take a few weeks), but i do prefer a physical copy as i tend to skip over digital text a bit too much. probably due to my almost ridiculous lack of patience with my computer. i'll have a gander anyways though, maybe it will keep my mind off the fact that apparently my jaw is collapsing.