Is it capitalistic for a union to be selfish and abuse its power?

Submitted by timthelion on June 6, 2016

There is one union that a lot of Czechs have been hearing about lately, and that is the coal miners union. They are a powerful union, because they have the ability to basically cut off electric power to this country. Right now, in the south of the country, a steel grade black underground coal mine is being shut down, some thousand workers will lose their jobs. These workers are alied with the coal miners in the north of the country who surface mine brown coal, and the ones in the north promise to do a big strike if the black coal mine is shut down. This has lead to lots of political manuevering, with various politicians promising the black coal miners huge early pensions, gauranteed jobs at other companies ect. There is nothing revolutionary about it, the black coal miners are not demanding the fall of capitalism, indeed, all they want is a golden parashoot. This is sturing up a lot of anti-union sentiment in this country, obviously.

But my question is, isn't there something inherently capitalistic about this situation? This isn't a case of the working class rising up, but a small and powerful part of the working class getting unfairly good treatment. When a huge chain of bookstores, for example, shut down, thousands of people also lost their jobs. Those people didn't get golden parashoots from the government. They just had to find new work, and being very poor and unskilled, this was far more stressfull for them than for the coal miners.

My general feeling, is that the coal miners power over electricity production is a kind of capital, and that these coal miners are exploiting it just as any other capitalist would. They want these gifts from the government, not because they work hard, but because they are alied to people who can cause the governemnt big problems. What is libcom's take on the situation?

Battlescarred

7 years 9 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Battlescarred on June 6, 2016

Yeah, the miners are holding the country to ransom. what a bunch of bastards, aren't they?

Auld-bod

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on June 6, 2016

Unfairly good treatment is right, why they're only common working people. Treat them like the rest, beat them down and kick them till they know their place. Make the world safe for the better class.

Fleur

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Fleur on June 6, 2016

TimtheLion said in a different thread:

I could then formulate an intelligent counter argument.

Clearly this is not true.

Steven.

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Steven. on June 6, 2016

timthelion

My general feeling, is that the coal miners power over electricity production is a kind of capital, and that these coal miners are exploiting it just as any other capitalist would. They want these gifts from the government, not because they work hard, but because they are alied to people who can cause the governemnt big problems. What is libcom's take on the situation?

Jesus Christ are you actually serious?

These words you are using, like "capital" and "capitalist", do you actually know what any of these words means?

It's true though, coal miners get treated so well. Bit like prisons nowadays. Coal mines aren't hard work, they're basically holiday camps!

It is terrible how all those lazy workers bully the coal mine owners. Those guys are really struggling, with their tens of billions of dollars, huge mansions, holiday homes and private jets. It would be better if they didn't have to pay miners anything at all, then maybe more of them would be able to afford private islands. Fingers crossed those capitalistic unions will lose and the non-capitalist coal companies can make some more profits so they can fairly reward the shareholders who do all the hard work the miners don't do…

akai

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by akai on June 6, 2016

The situation is interesting although the question has a problem with it. There is no "libcom's take" because Libcom is not an organization that takes positions. And the comments on it are becoming less coherent. All you can ask for are opinions of readers, which might vary.

l can speak a little to this question since we have a large mining sector and a lot of Polish miners went to Czech and we have comrades in this region working in that industry. So we are been following things happening in the south of our region and yours for some years.

(l assume you are talking about the situation with OKD - right? Or maybe something else?)

First of all, most unions are not revolutionary organizations but ones that seek to fight for the workers' material well being in the existing capitalist framework. Some unions seek to build power to overthrow capitalism, but these are not the miners' unions in your country or mine.

As such, the main purpose they have is to fight against job loss and the destruction of the industry. lt has to be remembered that a large part of the problems of the coal industry is not connected to any drop in demand, but other factors, including the capitalist business model.

The fights of coal miners therefore have a normal basis - the economic and physical survival of the worker. Do the miners have more bargaining power than other workers? Here they tend to and l suppose in your country too. So is it "fair" that they get more help than other workers whose companies fire them? No, it is not "fair" that some workers have more bargaining power than others, just as it is not fair that some workers work for slave wages and others have a better time. But this situation is not the fault of any worker - it is a structural problem of capitalism.

Further to the ideological slant you put in your comment, this is what we expect from the neo-liberal establishment. lt is in their interest to divide the working class. Here we read a lot about "priveleges" of certain categories of workers, who have managed to fight better than others or are in a stronger position. A lot of people, l suppose yourself included, just get twisted in this logic of blaming the workers in a stronger position. And thinking that this is "unfair" in a way that begrudges those in the better position instead of demanding that all workers be treated better.

So my personal point of view is that your ideas are poisoned by the capitalists at the same time you are criticizing people for not being anti-capitalist. No, the struggle is not anti-capitalist, but about their position of workers. But your analysis is far from anti-capitalist itself.

Chilli Sauce

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on June 6, 2016

These workers are alied with the coal miners in the north of the country who surface mine brown coal, and the ones in the south promis to do a big strike if the black coal mine is shut down.

Ditto to everything else that's been said, but just to say this ^^^ is fucking awesome.

It may not be "revolutionary", but it's a level of active solidarity we rarely see in Europe or America. And it's these sort of actions - solidarity strikes in key industries - that could pave the way for the development of revolutionary consciousness and revolutionary struggles.

Would it be even better if those same miners had the same level of solidarity with book shop workers? Of course. But we don't build to that level of solidarity across industries by criticizing where it exists within industries (obviously).

Also, "golden parachute"? You're comparing the millions - sometimes tens or hundreds of millions - departing CEO's get to a better severance package for coal miners?!? And it's not even correct, I mean, they're striking so they don't lose their jobs, right?

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 6, 2016

What about the stories of gravediggers during the winter of discontent? Should there be a point where workers say enough is enough re. pay?

Chilli Sauce

7 years 9 months ago

Every strike is about more than pay though, isn't it? It's about power on the job and, in the WOD particularly, about class power.

S. Artesian

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by S. Artesian on June 6, 2016

Straight up Thatcherism, as spoken by a member of the rentier class. Steven. you missed a chance for a "gtfo." Tsk.Tsk.

Timthehousecat at it again, pretending Ayn Randism can be camouflaged by pretending to be "anti-power," anti-state, anti-anything.

Also, come to think of it, straight-up Jaruzelski-ism, who confronted the coal-miners in Poland who had objections to working 7 days a week in mines.

Of course, that makes sense, since Thatcher and Jaruzelski exported coal to each other's country to break those miners' strikes.

Hey Tim, tell you what, give up your rental income and go work in the mines. Tell me then about how miners have too much power, and shouldn't strike. Or strike in solidarity. How they should, after they've been worked to death, be positively demure. You go down there, admin: no flaming , and tell us what it's like to have "too much power."

Fall Back

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Fall Back on June 6, 2016

wojtek

What about the stories of gravediggers during the winter of discontent? Should there be a point where workers say enough is enough re. pay?

No.

Auld-bod

7 years 9 months ago

Wojtek #8
‘What about the stories of gravediggers during the winter of discontent? Should there be a point where workers say enough is enough re. pay?’

There was a reason Thatcher made sympathy strikes illegal in the UK. Certain categories of work make striking problematical - gravediggers, care-workers, hospital workers, etc. There were instances in the past when workers stood together. The only solution in the long term is for the stronger sections of the working class to take up their case and when invited, be actively involved.

EDIT
I used to visit an old lady in a home for Alzheimer’s sufferers. The care given to the residents was impressive, though the careers monetary reward was pitiful. When I was there I’d sometimes help at meal times. In this situation to withdraw their labour would be to sentence some of these sad people to starvation.

Steven.

7 years 9 months ago

wojtek

what do you mean by this? Gravediggers got rubbish pay, and their pay was being slashed by inflation running at nearly 30% and a Labour/TUC agreed 5% pay cap.

(Even if they got paid 60 grand a year I would still support them striking for more pay: we, the working class, deserve the whole world)

About the winter of discontent, this is a good overview: https://libcom.org/history/1978-1979-winter-of-discontent

wojtek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by wojtek on June 6, 2016

They left bodies unburied which seems disrespectful. I guess I'm more arguing over tactics.

Steven.

7 years 9 months ago

wojtek

They left bodies unburied which seems disrespectful. I guess I'm more arguing over tactics.

I care more about the living, personally

edited to add: any gravediggers/crematorium workers feel free to go on strike whenever you like after I'm dead. A good tactic I reckon would be dumping my festering corpse in front of the boss's house

Auld-bod

7 years 9 months ago

Steven, that is not right, the dead no nothing, the disrespect is to the next of kin.

timthelion

7 years 6 months ago

Submitted by timthelion on September 10, 2016

-

-

Battlescarred

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Battlescarred on June 6, 2016

tssk, miners causing problems. Where will it all end, eh?

factvalue

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by factvalue on June 6, 2016

Tim are you sure you're not against them because of the ecological profile of coal?

Chilli Sauce

7 years 9 months ago

Given this is a solidarity strike, I feel like you sort of undermined your own argument in that second paragraph, Tim.

Chilli Sauce

7 years 9 months ago

Tim, I'd also suggest you check out the awesome fucking solidarity the UK miners offered during the Grunwick Strike.

Serge Forward

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Serge Forward on June 6, 2016

And the occasions when UK miners came out for nurses. Tim, you've not quite grasped the whole class struggle malarkey.

timthelion

7 years 6 months ago

Submitted by timthelion on September 10, 2016

-

-

jura

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by jura on June 7, 2016

timthelion

Several thousand Slovak school teachers did a 6 week long wildcat strike at the beginning of the school year. It had no effect. The government simply didn't care.

I don't think this is correct. There will be a 6% increase in teachers' statutory wages in September. Yes, it's far less than they demanded, but still, it's uncommon for increases like this to happen during the year. It wouldn't have happened without the strike.

Reddebrek

7 years 9 months ago

Submitted by Reddebrek on June 7, 2016

1) No, that simply isn't what capital means, if the miners clubbed together, pooled their wage packets and savings and invested in the mining then threatened to pull out, then this would be an example of a capital strike. They are withdrawing their labour power, from those who purchased it via wages.

You have a very awful habit of using words when you don't actually know what they mean, like our Feudalism and slavery chat.

2) A capitalists power is not their labour capabilities but their, capital (hence the term) their property.

3) How exactly do you know why the miners want what they claim? Unless you can read minds or have uncovered secret Union memoranda this is just meaningless assumptions.

4) Also how would this count as "gifts" if its based on these miners continuing to work. A gift is free and requires no action on the part of the receiver. I don't think you understand what a gift is either.

wojtek

Yeah but the bodies were kept in cold storage so at worst they delayed a couple hundred funerals. That's a pain in the arse and not what you'd want on top of everything else if burying a loved one, but its hardly a desecration.

Well at first they were striking so as to not lose their jobs, but they are now receiving money from the GOVERNMENT, not from the capitalists who own the mine

And? They're still working under a capitalist relationship, what about this changes anything?

I feel that the general strategy of our Czech government is to hush up those who cause problems. I fear that if the miners are satisfied with their government money, than they WON'T help the bookshop workers (or whoever's next). You know the old, "if I'm happy, than what's the problem?" attitude. It is this disballance in power that makes me feel weird about this. It's like "to each according to their ability to cause problems" rather than "to each according to their needs

This was just more of your revolution is impossible unless the workers are all starving nonsense from this thread isn't it.