Question about Zelený's book

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jura's picture
jura
Aug 8 2013 11:57
Question about Zelený's book

I have a question about the English edition of Jindřich Zelený's book, The Logic of Marx, published by Blackwell in 1980 in Oxford, which I'm sure many of you have read or seen in references in other texts.

First of all, I would like to know what the basis was for that translation. Apparently, it was translated by Terrell Carver. Now, I know he translates from German (e.g., Marx's methodological writings in Texts on Method) but I'd be quite surprised to learn that he also translates from Czech. The thing is, in 1962, Zelený published a book called (in Czech) On the Logical Structure of Marx's Capital. Later, in 1968, he published another book called (in Czech) Praxis and Reason. These two were combined and published in the GDR as Die Wissenschaftslogik bei Marx und "Das Kapital". I suspect that the English translation is really based on the German edition, and is therefore also a combination of two books that were originally published separately. If someone could take a look at the 1980 English edition (believe it or not, I can't get it where I am!) and confirm this (simply by checking the first or last few pages for translation information), it would be immensely helpful.

Moreover, if anyone with access to the book would be willing to type up the table of contents (the chapter names will be enough), that would be great!

Karetelnik's picture
Karetelnik
Aug 8 2013 20:20

The Logic of Marx (1980) is indeed a translation of Die Wissenschaftslogik bei Marx und das Kapital (1968). The translator indicates that Zelený supplied him with corrections to the German text.

jura's picture
jura
Aug 9 2013 16:10

OK, that makes sense. Thanks very much for the help.