Relationship between theory and practice?

Submitted by Jschul05 on January 12, 2016

Hi all,

I'm looking for sources--particularly anarchist ones--that discuss the role and task of theory as it relates to activism, revolutionary activity, etc.

Here's the question I'm trying to work through: "What does it mean for theory to be 'radical'? What exactly is radical theory supposed to do for activists and for the possibility of revolutionary action? The goal can't simply be for theory to 'lead' practice like a vanguard, so what are the other ways of viewing the theory/practice relationship?"

Very recent sources are best for my purposes--in the last 10-15 years.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

infektfm

8 years 3 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by infektfm on January 13, 2016

Not a recent source, but I think this is insightful.
http://libcom.org/library/intellectuals-power-a-conversation-between-michel-foucault-and-gilles-deleuze

Jschul05

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Jschul05 on January 13, 2016

This is great--thanks. I'd stumbled across this before a while ago and at first really dislikes it. But rereading it now, it's extremely helpful.

It helps me reframe my question:

D and G talk about ways to do theory that aren't all about speaking "for" others or creating ideas that are simply supposed to then be "applied by others. I'm really troubled by the power and hierarchy these ideas assume-the thinker is made out to be some kind of leader.

So anything else along those lines would be great too for anyone else reading this: ways of thinking about theory outside of or against the "leader" complex ...

Khawaga

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Khawaga on January 13, 2016

You could go down the route of critical pedagogy, i.e. Freire and those working in that tradition. While they are reflecting on the practice of teaching, what they write about the relationship between theory and practice could be helpful in what you're after.

Jschul05

8 years 3 months ago

Submitted by Jschul05 on January 13, 2016

I hadn't thought about Freire's work in those terms before. Interesting! Can you say more about what you have in mind? Do you mean theory as "problem posing" in the way Freire talks about?

Spikymike

7 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Spikymike on December 1, 2016

The 'Search facility'on this site is working again and there is plenty there worth a look. There is this by way of a very short read: http://libcom.org/library/theory-practice-introduction-marxian-theory-root-branch