What is the role of a political party leader?

Submitted by Andrea Grainger on February 27, 2016

I've been considering a run at political office.

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions of the revolutionary function of political leaders.

Chilli Sauce

8 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Chilli Sauce on February 28, 2016

mmmm...maybe start here, just so you know what sort of response to expect here on libcom:

http://libcom.org/library/state-introduction

Auld-bod

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Auld-bod on February 28, 2016

Some time ago I knew a militant shop steward, she was a formidable fighter for worker’s rights and as a young woman had led a major walkout of females at a Glasgow factory. This dispute quickly spread to several factories in the area. She had a reputation for not taking any crap. Years later when I met her, she decided to ditch her old communist comrades and join the Labour Party. She told me, “I’m tired of only getting a say on what colour the factory shit house walls are to be painted. I want to make a real difference”.

She was duly elected on to any number of council committees and for a while caused a stir. Then she was institutionalised as they all are and her reputation plummeted. I feel individuals are helpless once they become embedded in the machinery of governance and to retain their positions must become functionaries. No doubt telling themselves they are only using the system to change it. This is why the Labour Party has always been ‘failed’ by its leaders.

Andrea, if you are successful in running for political office can you stop becoming an administrator in your own exploitation?

EDIT
Just came across this article: http://www.workersliberty.org/story/2012/05/02/legacy-agnes-mclean

I’ve linked it as it proves you can’t believe all you read on the net.
It wishes to cast doubt on Wee Aggie’s shop steward activities. It reminds me of the Stalinist back stabbing of Agnes after she left the party. There was never any doubt about her past union activities and the party was always trying to contain her militancy. I was present on several occasions when she had blazing arguments with the communist factory convener John McCormack. Though no working class saint, she really went down-hill after she jettisoned shop floor activities for the Labour Party ‘power politics’.

jondwhite

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jondwhite on February 28, 2016

As Debs said

I am not a Labor Leader; I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads as well as your hands, and get yourself out of your present condition; as it is now the capitalists use your heads and your hands.

Steven.

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 28, 2016

Andrea Grainger

I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions of the revolutionary function of political leaders.

There isn't one.

If you want a thorough and detailed analysis of why even well-intentioned leaders are unable to enact real change, have a read of this excellent book: https://libcom.org/library/state-capitalist-society-ralph-miliband

Or watch The Wire!

syndicalist

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by syndicalist on February 28, 2016

The role of revolutionaries are to help convince others to become revolutionaries
The role of political office is retard the role of revolutionaries

Noah Fence

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Noah Fence on February 29, 2016

The role of a political party leader is to act in the interests of capital whilst creating the illusion that they are acting in the interests of the electorate.

Steven.

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 29, 2016

Noah Fence

The role of a political party leader is to act in the interests of capital whilst creating the illusion that they are acting in the interests of the electorate.

Of course they may also have the illusion that they are acting in the interests of the electorate (cf Syriza, the [early] Bolsheviks, etc)

Noah Fence

8 years 1 month ago

Steven.

Noah Fence

Of course they may also have the illusion that they are acting in the interests of the electorate (cf Syriza, the [early] Bolsheviks, etc)

For sure. It makes no real difference though. Whether a cynical or deluded party leader the end results are the same.

Steven.

8 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 29, 2016

Of course, yes the end result is the same. Just thought it was worth pointing out that they don't have to be horrible people, it happens to the genuine ones as well.

Noah Fence

8 years 1 month ago

Steven.

Of course, yes the end result is the same. Just thought it was worth pointing out that they don't have to be horrible people, it happens to the genuine ones as well.

Agreed - 2 minds with but a single thought!