Why anarchists should read Dunayevskaya

Submitted by doug on March 12, 2021

A short discussion article based a new collection of articles on Dunayevskaya and Marxist-Humanism, Raya Dunayevskaya’s Intersectional Marxism on Race, Class, Gender, and the Dialectics of Liberation (2021), is on the International Marxist-Humanist website here.

Summary: How Raya Dunayevskaya’s Intersectional Marxism on Race, Class, Gender, and the Dialectics of Liberation relates to Anarcho-Libertarian positions — Editors.

The book itself is available here. Hopefully a cheaper paperback version will be out soon!

Reddebrek

3 years ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Reddebrek on March 12, 2021

I read it, but I don't really get what the argument for anarchists or anyone else should read Dunayevskaya is in the article. It seemed to give us many reasons why her work is flawed and surpassed by others including Guerin and Bookchin. And the only positive for reading it is that the author really likes them, which fair enough I suppose but I was kinda of expecting more.

I have read some of her stuff before and some of the other humanists mentioned there too, and I probably will continue to do so. Got Black Jacobins on the pile at least, but so far I don't think much of it was that enlightening honestly, and certain works were deeply flawed.