DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Would business exist?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 01:07
Would business exist?

Can business exist in an anrachist society?

RedHughs
Feb 3 2010 04:35

Business couldn't exist under communism.

I'm not sure what anarchist society you're thinking of...

Fletcher
Feb 3 2010 09:23

Yeah of course OUTLAW do you want to own one? We could make you the chairman of Cadburys.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Feb 3 2010 09:59
The Outlaw wrote:
Can business exist in an anrachist society?

no

bootsy
Feb 3 2010 10:30

Maybe you should define what you mean and do some research, then post a thread on libcom if you're still feeling confused.

This definition is not perfect, as its off wikipedia, however if this is what you mean then the answer is absolutely not, since its describing an institution which is particular to capitalism.

Quote:
A business (also called a company, enterprise or firm) is a legally recognized organization designed to provide goods and/or services to consumers.[1] Businesses are predominant in capitalist economies, most being privately owned and formed to earn profit that will increase the wealth of its owners and grow the business itself. The owners and operators of a business have as one of their main objectives the receipt or generation of a financial return in exchange for work and acceptance of risk.
The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 14:06

If there is no business, how will goods get distributed, how will they be made?

THE OUTLAWS MUMMY
Feb 3 2010 14:34
The Outlaw wrote:

Me and your dad could deliver them in the volvo if that helps you and your anarchy friends.

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 14:41

Fletcher you aint funny but thanks for going to all that effort for me.

gypsy
Feb 3 2010 15:02

Not if it was a true anarchist society.

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 15:04

What is a true anarchist society?

gypsy
Feb 3 2010 15:10

One where everyone cooperates for the common good and where capitalism does not exist. (im my opinion).

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 15:11

What would you class as the common good?

Edit: Also, capitalism could not exist and another form of society could exist in its place, nwo.

Anarcho
Feb 3 2010 15:16

I think people are being far too literal here. I'm assuming what is meant, is how would an anarchist society produce useful goods -- how would the economy work, if you want to use that term.

May I suggest the following:

The Economics of Anarchy (an edited version of which is in the current version of Black Flag, no. 230)

And:

section I of An Anarchist FAQ

And I would really ask people if they are seeking to convince people of libertarian ideas, because the responses to this question are really pathetic and somewhat off-putting....

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Feb 3 2010 17:48

there'd be no business like show business

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 18:02

that actually brings a good point: What about the film industry and other forms of media such as the papers?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Feb 3 2010 18:17

The sky would still have the colour blue.

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 3 2010 18:28

Not after they try and block out the sun.

Yorkie Bar
Feb 4 2010 13:10
THE OUTLAWS MUMMY wrote:
The Outlaw wrote:

Me and your dad could deliver them in the volvo if that helps you and your anarchy friends.

I realise it's ironic that it's me saying this, but ffs gb2 libcommunity.

Yorkie Bar
Feb 4 2010 13:14

In answer to your question, I don't really know what you mean by 'buisness' in this context - but ultimately I don't know exactly what an anarchist society in the far future would be like (and neither does anyone else). Obviously capitalist companies and firms wouldn't exist.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Feb 4 2010 13:58
THE OUTLAWS MUMMY wrote:
The Outlaw wrote:

I always thought that your family owns two Chelsea tractors

gypsy
Feb 4 2010 14:43
The Outlaw wrote:
Not after they try and block out the sun.

You look 30, I thought you were a teenager? What are they feeding these youngsters nowadays.

The Outlaw's picture
The Outlaw
Feb 4 2010 19:20

I'm 21.

The media is used as an apartus of bourgeois control over the masses. Do you understand the neo-marxist concept of cultural hegemony? If in this anarchist society, media did exist as it does today, those who control the media would control the society (or at least the percieved dominant view of it).

The only way i could invision such things in an anarchist society, would be if they were free and anyone could take part in them, with a kind of pluralist version of the media existing.

I don't think capitalist business would exist either, but what can exist in its place? Workers controlled business?