DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

what strand are you?

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 00:22

What I mean to say, is that anarchism has nothing to do with socializing.

Smash Rich Bastards
Offline
Joined: 24-03-06
Jan 21 2007 01:53
lem wrote:
Quote:
Anarchism isn't a social club for me.

grin I am worried that I only engage with people when I feel threatened - which is not very honest, but I can't help feeling your grasping at straws there.

For everyone here socializing with you (me, anyone..) is less important that politics. I do not imagine that you never socialize with people with similar political views to you. So why say something so daft?

Do you think that the "inactivity" of some people is distorting their beliefs and arguments? That if I were to join some group then I would see that you are correct?

A pointless ad hominem that calls for a ghetto - in which political people have forfeited the ability to socialize.

I don't quite know what you mean by 'social club', but when I was young I did note that most people would visit the local social club.

You sound like a retarded goth.

Uh... I don't really know what you are saying here. What I meant was that I don't view the anarchist milieu as a place to make new friends. Most of my friends wouldn't identify as anarchists, at least not in a movement sense. There's plenty of anarchists that I do have tons of respect for and get along really well with, but for the most part I don't care if I am popular in my arguments among other politicos. I want to see a serious movement develop around our ideas, and try and engage people on that level. Whether or not they are my friends afterwards isn't especially important to me.

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 03:30

However I read that it strikes me as a bit weird.

As an excuse for being rude to people it amounts to saying "Because I don't like you".

As a political statement, you see to think that you are the only "politico" worth knowing (but you can probably guilt trip others into working with you either thru the power of ideas, or sheer charisma).

I think you should lay off the steroids! As then you may relaize that life tends to go a bit smoother if people like you confused

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Offline
Joined: 26-11-06
Jan 21 2007 03:42
lem wrote:
However I read that it strikes me as a bit weird.

As an excuse for being rude to people it amounts to saying "Because I don't like you".

As a political statement, you see to think that you are the only "politico" worth knowing (but you can probably guilt trip others into working with you either thru the power of ideas, or sheer charisma).

I think you should lay off the steroids! As then you may relaize that life tends to go a bit smoother if people like you confused

Are you going to cry or something?

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-03-06
Jan 21 2007 04:02
thugarchist wrote:
Smash Rich Bastards wrote:
Anarchism isn't a social club for me.

The amount of money you spend on penicillin would seem to prove this statement wrong.

Ouch!!! grin

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-03-06
Jan 21 2007 04:05
thugarchist wrote:
lem wrote:
However I read that it strikes me as a bit weird.

As an excuse for being rude to people it amounts to saying "Because I don't like you".

As a political statement, you see to think that you are the only "politico" worth knowing (but you can probably guilt trip others into working with you either thru the power of ideas, or sheer charisma).

I think you should lay off the steroids!

grin The biter bit..

As then you may relaize that life tends to go a bit smoother if people like you confused

Are you going to cry or something?

Nah don't think lem is coming from a fragile place when he says that..

Reckon he is saying that it makes sense to get on with/have a good rapport with those you struggle/engage in political activity with.. and he would be right.

Love

LW X

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Offline
Joined: 26-11-06
Jan 21 2007 04:12
Lone Wolf wrote:

Reckon he is saying that it makes sense to get on with/have a good rapport with those you struggle/engage in political activity with.. and he would be right.

Love

LW X

This isn't my experience actually. The people I agree with and work with politically I generally can't stand personally. The people I'm close to generally think my politics are weird. With the exception of some of the NEFAC folks those lines never cross for me.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-03-06
Jan 21 2007 04:40

As lem says I think that is kinda weird... but everyones experiences are different..and there are peeps i am friends with on these boards who i violently disagree with on certain issues..but i personally would find it hard to work with politically peeps i couldn't stand personally tho its hard to say cos that has never come up for me - kinda the opposite of your experiences really..but the point is still valid that it kinda helps if you "get on with" the peeps you organise with.. how do you manage your dislike of them i.e. do you just try and ignore those annoying aspects and then enjoy your downtime with your buddies??

Love

LW X

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Offline
Joined: 26-11-06
Jan 21 2007 04:51
Lone Wolf wrote:
As lem says I think that is kinda weird... but everyones experiences are different..and there are peeps i am friends with on these boards who i violently disagree with on certain issues..but i personally would find it hard to work with politically peeps i couldn't stand personally tho its hard to say cos that has never come up for me - kinda the opposite of your experiences really..but the point is still valid that it kinda helps if you "get on with" the peeps you organise with.. how do you manage your dislike of them i.e. do you just try and ignore those annoying aspects and then enjoy your downtime with your buddies??

Love

LW X

I'm very polite when I'm busy and shit has to get done, then when its done I go and live my life. I find that when I do political work or even work work with people I socialize with it becomes tiresome.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-03-06
Jan 21 2007 05:39

Ah ok.. polite is good. cool

I still find it interesting that you find it tiresome to socialize with peeps you work or organize with... [psych. hat on] hey but best to leave it there... wink and I understand the "can't choose who you work with, can choose yer friends" type argument..

Love

LW X

Smash Rich Bastards
Offline
Joined: 24-03-06
Jan 21 2007 07:00
Quote:
Reckon he is saying that it makes sense to get on with/have a good rapport with those you struggle/engage in political activity with.. and he would be right.

I like to think that I have generally good relationships with the people I am active with in real world political work. What does that have to do with random people on an internet discussion board? I'd say at least 80% of the discussions on here are totally abstract and removed from reality (ie, not rooted in any actual practice), or else just straight up political pissing matches. Obviously I am as guilty as anyone else here, but I like to think I have some perspective of the actual importance of these discussions or my relationships with the people involved.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-03-06
Jan 21 2007 07:08

SMR

You misunderstand!! I was referring to IRL political activity and working relationships..not this or any other net board.. Tho of course there is a crossover - some of us do know/organise with each other IRL who post on here...

Re: the net culture btw - as you raised the subject!! You have a point about the abstract nature of most discussions - I am a big one for combining the theory with day-to-day life stuff AND don't do the pissing thing either.. tongue . so while these DO happen you can still post a lot and not fall into these traps..if you wanna..as i choose to as best i can..

Love

LW X

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 17:00
thugarchist wrote:
lem wrote:
However I read that it strikes me as a bit weird.

As an excuse for being rude to people it amounts to saying "Because I don't like you".

As a political statement, you see to think that you are the only "politico" worth knowing (but you can probably guilt trip others into working with you either thru the power of ideas, or sheer charisma).

I think you should lay off the steroids! As then you may relaize that life tends to go a bit smoother if people like you confused

Are you going to cry or something?

Well, I'm always coming from a slightly fragile place grin But smash rich bastard's hatred toward me does not bother me because he has said that he hates all "polticos". Which is understandable.

I reassert that I think he's coming across as a complete goon. Is his hatred of almost all "politicos" a poltical point, or is he just a nasty little man?

Lol, what tossers! "I don't like you!". If anything THATS fragile - he wants to get the rejection in first.

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 17:06

I suppose that its possible that he genuinely hates "politicos", but it doesn't make sense why he would want an anarchist society?

I is teh emo grin

sam sanchez's picture
sam sanchez
Offline
Joined: 8-09-05
Jan 21 2007 17:24

"Revolutionary democratic socialist" would be enough for me if it weren't for the fact that this is this is generally taken to mean a parliamentary state with total nationalisation rather than a system of worker and consumer self-management through directly democratic workers and consumer councils. And "revolutionary democratic socialism-from-bellow" is a bit of a mouthfull.

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 17:57

Oh yeah, what label to pin on me? - an-open-marxist-that-reject- all-their-ideas-and-is-actually-a-left-communist-posing-as-a-marxist-anarchist. Just like it says on my profile page grin Nah, like, I gave up following "sectarian" debates a while ago so I couldn't say.

Big up solfed btw @

thugarchist's picture
thugarchist
Offline
Joined: 26-11-06
Jan 21 2007 18:39
lem wrote:
I suppose that its possible that he genuinely hates "politicos", but it doesn't make sense why he would want an anarchist society?

I is teh emo grin

He's one of the most dedicated, solid, trustworthy anarchists I've ever met.

lem
Offline
Joined: 25-07-05
Jan 21 2007 18:40

So... yeah I suppose it must get annoying to work that hard and yet see everyone else sitting on their arses.

Commodity's picture
Commodity
Offline
Joined: 19-12-06
Feb 7 2007 18:01
JDMF wrote:
anarcho syndicalist through and through.

But am heavily into enviro/animal/earth first/eco/tree hugging/gerbil bullshit as well.

Not all workers are employed in a factory.

Commodity's picture
Commodity
Offline
Joined: 19-12-06
Feb 7 2007 18:01
JDMF wrote:
anarcho syndicalist through and through.

But am heavily into enviro/animal/earth first/eco/tree hugging/gerbil bullshit as well.

Not all workers are employed in a factory.

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Offline
Joined: 6-05-05
Feb 7 2007 18:18

Hi

Quote:
Not all workers are employed in a factory.

They never were though. What's your point?

Love

LR