Who are the Melancholic Troglodytes?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ffaker
Aug 30 2007 12:38
Who are the Melancholic Troglodytes?

I just read "Reservation Politics: the Palestinian experience through the historical monocle of Native Americans".

Quite interesting to see the parallels (there are more than I thought). But who are the Melancholic Troglodytes? I ask because of this little nugget in one of the notes: "In our youth, many members of Melancholic Troglodytes were hopelessly inaccurate with the molotov-cocktail, barely competent with the rifle and woefully inept with the bazooka." WTF? grin I take it from certain language used they are some sort of primitivists.

The essay itself is excellent up to the concluding part, where it really starts to loose it. Even before then are a few (relatively minor) problems. "The almost complete marginalisation of this brand of mystic Zionism by the exclusionist-settler wing of Zionism is a feature of more recent times." Er? Really? Evidence that is was ever anything more than a lunatic fringe? None is given.

The conclusion is really problematic. Although they are right to criticise the militarisation of the second intifada, Arafat's private fiefdom etc, they seem to have some kind of Islam: bad, tribal religion: good agenda. "Today, monotheistic religions are wholly counter-revolutionary." And other religions are great???

Also, WTF is this about: "Those who choose not to see the qualitative differences between the Paiute Ghost Dance and the Shi’a ritual of Ashura are doing all of us a great disservice." Er... What do Sh'ia religious rituals have to do with the Palestinian struggle? Does Ahmadinajad make Hanyeh and the rest of the Hamas political leaders do a little dance for them before he gives them suitcases full of cash?

the button's picture
the button
Aug 30 2007 12:45

I must admit, I immediately thought of this, but then I'm a pretentious fuck.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Aug 30 2007 12:49
Quote:
Even before then are a few (relatively minor) problems. "The almost complete marginalisation of this brand of mystic Zionism by the exclusionist-settler wing of Zionism is a feature of more recent times." Er? Really? Evidence that is was ever anything more than a lunatic fringe? None is given.

Would say you're right there ffaker. Zionism was decidedly secular to begin with, and IMO it is in more recent times that that sort of mysticism and Jewish religious fundamentalism has come back again (in part as pop-culture rivival of Kabbalism). What do they refer to when they mean "recent" times? Zionism is pretty recent in the grand scheme of things.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 30 2007 12:55

I think that I know. I don't want to name people on the Internet though.
Devrim

Marshall
Aug 30 2007 15:36

www.metamute.org/en/Unmasking-the-Zapatistas

they wrote this review too - seem to be connected with the Psych department at Manchester uni

ffaker
Aug 31 2007 09:05

I don't need to know names, I just mean who is the group, what do they stand for and are they for real about the bazookas and that? grin

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 31 2007 09:14
ffaker wrote:
I don't need to know names, I just mean who is the group, what do they stand for and are they for real about the bazookas and that? grin
Melancholic Troglodytes wrote:
In our youth, many members of Melancholic Troglodytes were hopelessly inaccurate with the molotov-cocktail, barely competent with the rifle and woefully inept with the bazooka.

I think the use of the word many is a bit grandeoise. One of the people I knew in it was from a Middle Eastern country (not Turkey) and could have had experience with weapons. They are more common over here.

They were people from the council communist type scene in London.

Devrim