Worker control in Argentina

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 24 2007 02:02
Worker control in Argentina

Hello everyone, I'm doing an essay on Horizontalism and the worker self-management that took root in Argentina in the late 90's and early part of this decade after the IMF structural adjustment policies pretty much destroyed the Argentinian economy. Anyway, published scholarly mat'l on the subject is hard to come by and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations (books, articles, etc) that would be suitable for an academic paper. So far I've found two books, one by AK Press and the other by Haymarket, that look promising, anyone have any other suggestions?

anna x
Oct 24 2007 14:35

Hey ncwob, a cursury check of my uni's databases seemed to give up a number of journal articles and the like. Do you have acces to the database Academic Research Library (via ProQuest)? If you don't have uni database access let me know and I could probably have a search for you and somehow swing you some of the stuff I find.
All the best. gregg

TakePossession
Oct 24 2007 19:38

Do you speak spanish? I'm in Argentina right now and have been living here nearly a year working a little with those businesses. I could probably put you on to some books and editors that have specifically focused on the recuperated enterprise movement here. They would just be logistically a little difficult because - 1) they would be in spanish and 2) you would likely have to contact the editors directly to get a copy mailed to you.

syndicalistcat's picture
syndicalistcat
Oct 24 2007 22:05

There have been a number of things written on this subject. There is Marina Sitrin's book Horizontalism. Also, Sin Patron by the Lavaca Collective. Also, search on ZNet for articles by Marie Trigona, such as her article "Worker Power in Argentina."

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 24 2007 23:53

Well, thank you to all.

Gregg - You are a damn nice guy. We definitely have proquest newspaper database. I'll have to see, but i assume that we have the article database as well. I had been using Jstor, not much luck there.

Take - No habla espanol, mi amigo/amiga. But best of luck to you, sounds really awesome.

Cat - actually, those were the exact two books I found, just to lazy/couldn't think of the names when I made the post. Znet has been pretty helpful, but I hadn't come across that article, but i'll be finding that tonite.

If anybody comes across anything else, just let me know.

antrophe
Oct 25 2007 15:54

Interesting enough piece here.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Dec 5 2007 04:46

In case anyone was wondering how it turned out...

http://wikis.lib.ncsu.edu/index.php/Neoliberalism_and_Social_Revolution_in_Argentina

David in Atlanta
Dec 5 2007 14:50

Graciela's a good comrade of mine, I'm just sending her the link to nc's paper.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Dec 5 2007 15:06
TakePossession wrote:
Do you speak spanish? I'm in Argentina right now and have been living here nearly a year working a little with those businesses. I could probably put you on to some books and editors that have specifically focused on the recuperated enterprise movement here. They would just be logistically a little difficult because - 1) they would be in spanish and 2) you would likely have to contact the editors directly to get a copy mailed to you.

thats the best first post i have ever seen!

welcome.