Any groups active in the N/E of England?

Submitted by Vlad The Inhaler on November 27, 2017

I'm based in the N/E of England, Gateshead to be exact and I'd be interested to know whether there are any groups active in my area. I'm primarily interested in discussion and education at this stage as my level of knowledge in Anarchist theory is still relatively low.

Spikymike

6 years 4 months ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Spikymike on November 27, 2017

The Solidarity Federation at www.solfed.org.uk does list a Newcastle group but not sure if they are still active. I don't think there is an active AF group there but you could ask.
This site has plenty of material you could educate yourself with.

Not of course anarchist but they do have some meetings in your general area see CWO here:
www.leftcom.org/en

Vlad The Inhaler

6 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Vlad The Inhaler on November 27, 2017

Cheers Mike, will check them out.

Dyjbas

6 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Dyjbas on November 28, 2017

Yep, the CWO holds regular meetings in the North East.

On the anarchist end, there is not much. I believe the Solfed local collapsed, and there is no AF group. The closest thing is probably the recently formed IWW branch - not anarchist but you'll find some anarchists involved.

Vlad The Inhaler

6 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Vlad The Inhaler on November 28, 2017

The truth is my politics are in flux. I don't really know where I belong on the far left now that I'm no longer part of the Leninist movement. I'm intrigued by Anarchist and Left Communist ideas whilst also having questions, doubts, reservations.etc which I'm sure are perfectly normal. I know I'm not the only one to find the route out of Leninism particularly disorientating.

As implied in my bio I'm not hardcore cadre material at the moment due to health and so I'm primarily looking for groups that encourage discussion and education alongside whatever else that they do.

Rob Ray

6 years 4 months ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on November 28, 2017

You could try the Star and Shadow radical cinema, it's anarcho-friendly iirc and did some great film festivals in the past.

Cirtur

6 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Cirtur on January 15, 2018

Not sure if this is still relevant but I recently moved back to Newcastle and I'm interested in being part of a regular meeting, maybe a consciousness raising group of some sort. Maybe we could meet up sometime

Vlad The Inhaler

6 years 2 months ago

Submitted by Vlad The Inhaler on January 15, 2018

If you find anything, let me know. I don't how committed I can be to begin with, its difficult when you've got young kids, but I am interested.