Persecution and threats against student activist escalate

Bahar Mustafa - Golsmiths Student's Union Welfare & Diversity Officer

A London student union officer has received death threats in a month-long campaign of harassment, after she organised a meeting for minority students.

Bahar Mustafa, 27, is the Welfare & Diversity Officer of Goldsmiths Students’ Union. Ms Mustafa organised a meeting for black and minority ethnic (BME) women and non-binary people, and asked that white people and men did not attend.

A Goldsmiths student, who is understood to have recently been a member of the xenophobic right-wing UKIP party, claimed that this was racist against white men.

The story was spun as ‘white men banned from anti-racism rally’, and subsequently picked up by student paper the Tab, the Evening Standard and Daily Mail, amongst others. Supporters of Bahar refuted the claims in a statement:

This is not, as has been suggested in the press, anti-white bigotry. Nor is it discrimination, in any sense of the word. The event in question is not a job or scholarship from which white people are barred from applying. It is an organising meeting involving just over ten people, convening to feed back into wider organising meetings.

However, the campaign against her subsequently escalated, with attempts to have Ms Mustafa - who is an elected student union officer - ‘sacked’. She has also received death threats, and has been reported to the police.

Following the media coverage, an assortment of Men’s Rights Activists, British fascists, and participants in the misogynist hate campaign gamergate descended on the twitter hashtag #SupportBaharMustafa with a torrent of abuse.

This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses. Former genocide-denying Marxist turned right-wing contrarian Spiked magazine recently published a ‘free speech ranking’ for universities, with red, amber, and green categories.

Supposed ‘threats to free speech’ which landed universities in the red category include bans on on-campus fascist activity, “zero tolerance” policies on sexual harassment, and recognition of transgender people. Sacking of elected officers for speaking freely is not mentioned.

Posted By

Anonymous
May 22 2015 12:29

Share


  • This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses.

Attached files

Comments

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:16
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
What? Who says that? You mean YPJ commander and she only says this: YPJ does not support radical feminism (she explains it is separatism between genders, dividing society). Nobody in nowhere say something like they oppose feminism. Moreover they have their own theory "jinology" that says that goes beyond feminism.

Did you even read a book about feminism? What do you know about feminism? Why do you constantly confuse feminism and separatist radical feminism as if they are the same thing? Or think that Bahar is some sort of separatist feminist unlike Kurdish women organisations who organize autonomously?

God I hate when a white person just comes and teaches people in different societies what they can be or can not? You are an example of colonial attitude. What you think you know is just an orientalist image.

EDITED for readability and removing the slurs

Isupport equal rights for women, why did you keep mentioning that the kurds support equal rights as if that means I won't like them lol. What the PKK are advocating for is equal rights under the law. We have that in the west, that is what the YPJ commander was saying.

She clearly says what I have said. We support equal rights we don't support feminism. No matter how much you want the PKK membership to have your exact political ideas the fact is they do not.

Oh and guess how the kurdish and non kurdish responded to seeing this thread grin. Needless to say they don't agree with many on here lol. Get out of this tiny political bubble and actually debate and talk to people about issues outside of the people on here who agree with staggering uniformity on almost every issue.

You get more anger and hissy fits on here and people who can't fight talking about punching your face in for disagreeing than you do trying to debate stormfront. Enjoy your bitter irrelevancy guys. I am sure the workers will come around someday. If you lay off the wanting to punch workers for not agreeing with your uber sensitive politics.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:17
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
What? Who says that? You mean YPJ commander and she only says this: YPJ does not support radical feminism (she explains it is separatism between genders, dividing society). Nobody in nowhere say something like they oppose feminism. Moreover they have their own theory "jinology" that says that goes beyond feminism.

Did you even read a book about feminism? What do you know about feminism? Why do you constantly confuse feminism and separatist radical feminism as if they are the same thing? Or think that Bahar is some sort of separatist feminist unlike Kurdish women organisations who organize autonomously?

God I hate when a white person just comes and teaches people in different societies what they can be or can not? You are an example of colonial attitude. What you think you know is just an orientalist image.

EDITED for readability and removing the slurs

Assumes I am white and originally from the first world. LOL.

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 15:21
Georgie89 wrote:

Assumes I am white and originally from the first world. LOL.

Georgie89 wrote:

Isupport equal rights for women, why did you keep mentioning that the kurds support equal rights as if that means I won't like them lol. What the PKK are advocating for is equal rights under the law. We have that in the west,

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:29
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

Assumes I am white and originally from the first world. LOL.

Georgie89 wrote:

Isupport equal rights for women, why did you keep mentioning that the kurds support equal rights as if that means I won't like them lol. What the PKK are advocating for is equal rights under the law. We have that in the west,

Yes because only white people live in the west and only people born in the west end up living in the west.

I am now offended. I demand you make a grovelling apology or you are a racist Eurocentrist bigot. Am I doing libcom right now?

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 15:32
Georgie89 wrote:
Yes because only white people live in the west and only people born in the west end up living in the west.

I am now offended. I demand you make a grovelling apology or you are a racist Eurocentrist bigot. Am I doing libcom right now?

I don't recall saying you were white, and I'm pretty sure `the west` is in the first world.

gram negative
May 30 2015 15:33
Georgie89 wrote:

Obviously kill all white men isn't offensive. We have all the guns and power, white men could forcibly make women slaves. We don't because we think it is wrong.

lol nice try

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:39
gram negative wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

Obviously kill all white men isn't offensive. We have all the guns and power, white men could forcibly make women slaves. We don't because we think it is wrong.

lol nice try

Yes sir the west is full of white males, when referring to England who are the majority? The white men in England could enslave women easily. The thing is we don't want women to be slaves here so the majority white people don't try and enforce it. Or are you saying when talking about England people of colour should not use the term we? Don't we belong here?

Which is odd you criticise the white west far more than you do say any muslim society. You are the most critical of the societies that have the most rights for women. How feminist.

gram negative
May 30 2015 15:40

also, men use their guns and power to control and kill women in the US all the time, and many don't think that is wrong at all. but i forgot that there are no issues for women in the first world.

what's up with your macho posturing, georgie? why are you so obviously made to feel insecure about this issue?

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:41
gram negative wrote:
also, men use their guns and power to control and kill women in the US all the time, and many don't think that is wrong at all. but i forgot that there are no issues for women in the first world.

what's up with your macho posturing, georgie? why are you so obviously made to feel insecure about this issue?

Men kill men, how are you trying to make that a sexism issue lol. Jesus is there nothing you won't try and manipulate?

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:44
gram negative wrote:
also, men use their guns and power to control and kill women in the US all the time, and many don't think that is wrong at all. but i forgot that there are no issues for women in the first world.

what's up with your macho posturing, georgie? why are you so obviously made to feel insecure about this issue?

Trust me if you ever saw me you would not think I think of myself as macho. Again this forum is so far to one side you can't imagine criticsim coming from anywhere but some right wing macho dickhead.

Youy can't grasp most women, people of colour and workers don't support your ideology or take offense to the things you do. So anyone who thinks you are wrong has to fit the preconceived notions of what someone who disagrees with you must look like.

gram negative
May 30 2015 15:44
Georgie89 wrote:

Yes sir the west is full of white males, when referring to England who are the majority? The white men in England could enslave women easily. The thing is we don't want women to be slaves here so the majority white people don't try and enforce it. Or are you saying when talking about England people of colour should not use the term we? Don't we belong here?

lol nice back track

gram negative
May 30 2015 15:47

well, you are the one who is oddly fixated on fights and positively salivating over women getting hit by men, who makes claims that the people here cannot fight - all macho behvaior

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 15:53
Georgie89 wrote:
Youy can't grasp most women, people of colour and workers don't support your ideology or take offense to the things you do. So anyone who thinks you are wrong has to fit the preconceived notions of what someone who disagrees with you must look like.

Said the user who can't seem to make up there mind about their own beliefs and identity.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 15:55
gram negative wrote:
well, you are the one who is oddly fixated on fights and positively salivating over women getting hit by men, who makes claims that the people here cannot fight - all macho behvaior

Because it is a double standard.

As I already said if there wasn't such glaring double standards people wouldn't be bothered at all. But to pretend the left wing double standard on those issues does not fucking irritate the shit out of the general public is simply ignoring reality.

Just like when some SJW's tries tog et people fired or tries to push through bans on stuff the general attitude of your avergae working class person is one of contempt. Which might explain why so many people have contempt for SJW's and the left in general.

It isn't a coincidence these piece of shit racists like the BNP and UKIP talk about those issues and PC gone mad. They know how to harness the little stuff like that and manipulate people to vote and support them.

Just like Republicans in America are magically talking about income equality, that isn't an accident, they pick up on things the public is pissed about and use it to drive support. The right does the same with things the common person hates. PC, ultra sensitive trends piss most people off, hence why the opportunistic right pounce on them.

You guys don't have to address it but it is fucking real.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:02

Another double standard of course if is a woman her colour was a diversity officer in a muslim country which is far more oppressive towards women and minorities and she tweeted killallmuslimmen or killallarabmen she would be fucking destroyed on here.

Even though muslim men dominate muslim nations which are far more oppressive to women. It wouldn't bother me just like kill all white men or kill all men does not. But it would bother so many on here.

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 16:09
Georgie89 wrote:
Another double standard of course if is a woman her colour was a diversity officer in a muslim country which is far more oppressive towards women and minorities and she tweeted killallmuslimmen or killallarabmen she would be fucking destroyed on here.

Prove it.

gram negative
May 30 2015 16:14

you don't engage with what anyone says to you other than to dismiss it; you project what you think people would do rather than ask (confirming your own views a priori); you generalize the views of very diverse people, many who would disagree with you - why does this subject inspire such a reaction from you? there is something about this that makes you feel insecure - what is it?

kurekmurek
May 30 2015 16:27
Quote:
She clearly says what I have said. We support equal rights we don't support feminism.

However in the video YPG member says:

Quote:
there are radical feminist groups that only favor the women and crush man this divides society. Even feminists between them do not think the same [32:32]

So unlike you: She know the difference between radical feminism and feminism.

On Bahar you keep assuming Bahar is a seperatist, because of your ass I assume produce much more reliable information then facts.
However you are wrong again: She is pro-workforce organizing irrespective of gender. So she is a feminist with a non-separatist idea. (See comments by Joseph Kay at the beginnings of comments) Can you comprehend that?

So let's review, shall we? grin
1) There are political vegetarians in Kurdish movement (including Ocalan)
2) Kurdish movement is a pro-feminist movement. They do support equality for women just like Bahar does in a different place and context.

Edit: Well as you are so into movies: see this Stateless Democracy: How the Kurdish Women Movement Liberated Democracy from the State by Dirik
Nobody is beating another person up in the video unfortunately, you might find it a bit boring.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:23
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
Quote:
She clearly says what I have said. We support equal rights we don't support feminism.

However in the video YPG member says:

Quote:
there are radical feminist groups that only favor the women and crush man this divides society. Even feminists between them do not think the same [32:32]

So unlike you: She know the difference between radical feminism and feminism.

On Bahar you keep assuming Bahar is a seperatist, because of your ass I assume produce much more reliable information then facts.
However you are wrong again: She is pro-workforce organizing irrespective of gender. So she is a feminist with a non-separatist idea. (See comments by Joseph Kay at the beginnings of comments) Can you comprehend that?

grin So let's review:
1) There are political vegetarians in Kurdish movement (including Ocalan)
2) Kurdish movement is a pro-feminist movement. They do support equality for women just like Bahar does in a different place and context.

I said I suppot feminism .... the variety they have in the third world, which is pushing for equality under the law and the ability to do what men can do, which has already been established in the first world! Not the radical feminism pushed on here, by SJW's. You don't seem to respond to that.

1. I said veganism is a first world problem, what do vegetarians have to do with that? Also they are a minority in the third world and are almost non existent apart from those who are vegetarian not vegan, and are so because of religion, not first world vegan moral reasons. Also I don't give a fuck about Ocalan, stop rambling on about him. All the YPG members who I talk to from the UK say they give you a class where they talk about their ideology but, and I quote "they don't care if you are into it"

2. They support equal rights under the law, their idea of feminism is the same as mine, equality under the law and equal rights and ability to work etc. That is what I support. They don't have any ideological commonality between their "feminism" and the first world feminist movement that tries to get people fired, tries to ban words, word polices etc etc etc etc.

Just because you wish thy did does not mean that notion has any basis in reality.

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 16:29
Georgie89 wrote:
All the YPG members who I talk to from the UK say they give you a class where they talk about their ideology but, and I quote "they don't care if you are into it"

Oh so you haven't actually talked to them about this at all.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:31
gram negative wrote:
you don't engage with what anyone says to you other than to dismiss it; you project what you think people would do rather than ask (confirming your own views a priori); you generalize the views of very diverse people, many who would disagree with you - why does this subject inspire such a reaction from you? there is something about this that makes you feel insecure - what is it?

It might be that you and SJW's claim to represent everyone but you are an insignificant strain of ideology that has amost zero support anywhere in the world.
Most women do not support feminism or identify as feminist, most people of colour don't support SJW's and their word policing or attempts to have people fired or dictate language and discourse.

Is there a reason you are so sensitive and feel like anyone other than the few thousand privileged university educated well off radical students in the first world agree with you?

You get any man or woman off the street and have this conversation with them and they would be much less receptive to your ideas than me. Most would be banned for using non-pc language, not supporting almost any of your economic or social ideas. Yet you think I am reactionary? Talk to the women who work with me about slut shaming. They would be banned instantly for the way they talk about other women.

But oh yeah they are just brainwashed by the patriarchy, they couldn't of thought those things on their own :

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:37
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
All the YPG members who I talk to from the UK say they give you a class where they talk about their ideology but, and I quote "they don't care if you are into it"

Oh so you haven't actually talked to them about this at all.

lol

edit why isn't my screenshot showing up?

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:39

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 16:40
Georgie89 wrote:

It might be that you and SJW's claim to represent everyone but you are an insignificant strain of ideology that has amost zero support anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Most women do not support feminism or identify as feminist, most people of colour don't support SJW's and their word policing or attempts to have people fired or dictate language and discourse.
Quote:
You get any man or woman off the street and have this conversation with them and they would be much less receptive to your ideas than me.

Earlier

Quote:
I bet all 100 of them and the couple thousand supporters who reside online have some stern words for the millions of us who think that
Quote:
What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up, hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online. Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite. They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled, when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers, or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

If your views were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense. The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though. As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

Remind me aren't you the one who really hates double standards?

kurekmurek
May 30 2015 16:44

Are you stupid you little fuck?

1) Despite your own stereotype, there are Kurds in Kurdish movement that are against exploitation and domination of world by humans. Ocalan is very vocal about it. This is political vegetarianism, how this is unrelated to veganism? Are you that stupid?

2) Who is SJW's? Bahar? Be clear or fuck off! Do not change what you say from comment to comment OK? Bahar supports "quality under the law and equal rights" YPJ supports the same thing. moreover both think it is necessary to have an autonomous organizing of women to achieve and defend that! Read somethings stupid I am not your personal translator to kurdish literature which produced a lot of works on it.

3) About "they don't care if you are into it [ideology]" Do not see they just wish you to go there and fight for their side? And you are probably speaking with a kurd who is not guerrilla. Well go discuss these issues with a YPJ commander with a weapon in her hands grin

4) And for your own self, stop thinking that you have a privileged position to reach reality Ok? It is not enough just to watch a few war videos online and speak to a few recruiting Kurds. World is bigger than that unfortunately.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:40
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

It might be that you and SJW's claim to represent everyone but you are an insignificant strain of ideology that has amost zero support anywhere in the world.

Quote:
Most women do not support feminism or identify as feminist, most people of colour don't support SJW's and their word policing or attempts to have people fired or dictate language and discourse.

Is there a reason you are so sensitive and feel like anyone other than the few thousand privileged university educated well off radical students in the first world agree with you?

Quote:
You get any man or woman off the street and have this conversation with them and they would be much less receptive to your ideas than me.

Earlier

Quote:
I bet all 100 of them and the couple thousand supporters who reside online have some stern words for the millions of us who think that
Quote:
What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up, hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online. Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite. They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled, when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers, or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

If your views were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense. The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though. As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

Remind me aren't you the one who really hates double standards?

I don't think you understand what a double standard is lol.

gram negative
May 30 2015 16:42
Georgie89 wrote:

It might be that you and SJW's claim to represent everyone but you are an insignificant strain of ideology that has amost zero support anywhere in the world.
Most women do not support feminism or identify as feminist, most people of colour don't support SJW's and their word policing or attempts to have people fired or dictate language and discourse.

Is there a reason you are so sensitive and feel like anyone other than the few thousand privileged university educated well off radical students in the first world agree with you?

You get any man or woman off the street and have this conversation with them and they would be much less receptive to your ideas than me. Most would be banned for using non-pc language, not supporting almost any of your economic or social ideas. Yet you think I am reactionary? Talk to the women who work with me about slut shaming. They would be banned instantly for the way they talk about other women.

But oh yeah they are just brainwashed by the patriarchy, they couldn't of thought those things on their own :

Wow, where do you find the time to talk to most of POC and women to come to that conclusion? All you seem to be focused on is the media - why is that? We can both play the anecdotal game - I know many women and POC workers, some who have went to college and some who haven't, who care about these issues, some who don't - what is your point? My coworkers and I discuss this stuff all the time, and they are complex individuals who escape your attempt to simplify them into the 'average worker', who is a woman and a POC where I live.

Reddebrek
May 30 2015 16:43
Georgie89 wrote:

I don't think you understand what a double standard is lol.

Your really think your fooling anyone with that?

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:45
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
Are you stupid you little fuck?

1) Despite your own stereotype, there are Kurds in Kurdish movement that are against exploitation and domination of world by humans. Ocalan is very vocal about it. This is political vegetarianism, how this is unrelated to veganism? Are you that stupid?

2) Who is SJW's? Bahar? Be clear or fuck off! Do not change what you say from comment to comment OK? Bahar supports "quality under the law and equal rights" YPJ supports the same thing. moreover both think it is necessary to have an autonomous organizing of women to achieve and defend that! Read somethings stupid I am not your personal translator to kurdish literature which produced a lot of works on it.

3) About "they don't care if you are into it [ideology]" Do not see they just wish you to go there and fight for their side? And you are probably speaking with a kurd who is not guerrilla. Well go this these issues with a YPJ commander with a weapon in her hands grin

4) And for your own self, stop thinking that you have a privileged position to reach reality ok if you just watched a few war videos online and speaking to a few recruiting Kurds. World is bigger than that unfortunately.

Yes the people who I am talking to are actually there fighting as a member of the YPG. If this site would let my screenshot of the conversation show up you would of seen this:

"they will teach you about APO and they're political philosophy when you are at the training academy but you don't have to be into it"

But for someone supposedly so close to the Kurds and their struggle you are not actually fighting with them, strangely, so you don't really know what they think.

Georgie89
May 30 2015 16:47
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

I don't think you understand what a double standard is lol.

Your really think your fooling anyone with that?

If a white woman tweeted killallmuslimmen in a muslim nation would it be seen as the same as what bahar did? Stop lying you sad white knight.