Persecution and threats against student activist escalate

Bahar Mustafa - Golsmiths Student's Union Welfare & Diversity Officer

A London student union officer has received death threats in a month-long campaign of harassment, after she organised a meeting for minority students.

Bahar Mustafa, 27, is the Welfare & Diversity Officer of Goldsmiths Students’ Union. Ms Mustafa organised a meeting for black and minority ethnic (BME) women and non-binary people, and asked that white people and men did not attend.

A Goldsmiths student, who is understood to have recently been a member of the xenophobic right-wing UKIP party, claimed that this was racist against white men.

The story was spun as ‘white men banned from anti-racism rally’, and subsequently picked up by student paper the Tab, the Evening Standard and Daily Mail, amongst others. Supporters of Bahar refuted the claims in a statement:

This is not, as has been suggested in the press, anti-white bigotry. Nor is it discrimination, in any sense of the word. The event in question is not a job or scholarship from which white people are barred from applying. It is an organising meeting involving just over ten people, convening to feed back into wider organising meetings.

However, the campaign against her subsequently escalated, with attempts to have Ms Mustafa - who is an elected student union officer - ‘sacked’. She has also received death threats, and has been reported to the police.

Following the media coverage, an assortment of Men’s Rights Activists, British fascists, and participants in the misogynist hate campaign gamergate descended on the twitter hashtag #SupportBaharMustafa with a torrent of abuse.

This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses. Former genocide-denying Marxist turned right-wing contrarian Spiked magazine recently published a ‘free speech ranking’ for universities, with red, amber, and green categories.

Supposed ‘threats to free speech’ which landed universities in the red category include bans on on-campus fascist activity, “zero tolerance” policies on sexual harassment, and recognition of transgender people. Sacking of elected officers for speaking freely is not mentioned.

Posted By

Anonymous
May 22 2015 12:29

Share


  • This effort to ban minorities from meeting without white men present is the latest in a wider campaign portraying left-wing and liberation movements as a totalitarian threat to ‘free speech’ on campuses.

Attached files

Comments

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:44
Quote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

I don't know, would that just play into his persecution complex about being oppressed by feminists, SJWs, hipsters, people who don't watch much shite TV, violent women who really just need a good beating, or whatever?

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:48
Khawaga wrote:
Quote:
Also the most vocal critics of FGM such as Ayaan Hirsi Ali are hated by feminist in the first world and as hate mail from them constantly, because she calls out muslim abuse of women and girls. Which is wrong, naturally

.

Muslim abuse? You do realize that FGM is an African cultural tradition and has nothing to do with Islam. Sure there are lots of Muslims that do it, but also lots of Christians, animists and so on. People hate on Hirsi Ali because she's an islamiphobic demagouge and a confirmed liar, not the fgm part.

Yes FGM is not limited to one disgusting culture or religion.

Ha yeah the woman who suffered FGM abuse and patriarchal oppression is a big mean islamophobe. Fuck off you dumb cunt.Victim blaming is fine if it is someone fighting oppression supported by a faith or culture of brown people huh.

People like you legitimise the horrific treatment of women, gays and trans people with your PC shite.

Fleur
May 29 2015 15:46

Are you sure you're not BJJ?

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:46
Fleur wrote:
Quote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

I don't know, would that just play into his persecution complex about being oppressed by feminists, SJWs, hipsters, people who don't watch much shite TV, violent women who really just need a good beating, or whatever?

I am not oppressed by feminists, I am merely explaining why society at large mocks you and thinks you are pathetic sensitive whiners. And why people find Bahar and her ilk utterly contemptible.

Fnordie
May 29 2015 15:48
Georgie89 wrote:
Fnordie wrote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

This is feminism. Brilliant. From the guy who just advocated homeless people stabbing civillians too. AWESOME. Smash patriarchy!

You're the one posting knockout videos from worldstar hip hop on libcom.

and that quote was from Lucy Parsons.

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:49
Do you really think there is no reason men feel bitter towards feminism other than they don't think women should be equal? Could the double standards not enter into it at all?

It's not a double standard because (a) nobody thinks that it's OK for women to hit men and (b) men tend on average to be stronger than women, and therefore the consequences of male violence (at least where no weapons are involved) are likely to be much worse than the consequences of female violence directed at men. There's no double standard in saying that no one should hit anyone, but physically stronger people definitely shouldn't hit physically weaker people.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:50
Fnordie wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
Fnordie wrote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

This is feminism. Brilliant. From the guy who just advocated homeless people stabbing civillians too. AWESOME. Smash patriarchy!

You're the one posting knockout videos from worldstar hip hop on libcom.

and that quote was from Lucy Parsons.

Iposted a video of a woman punching a man in an unprovoked attack and giggling about it. You are criticising a man for posting it. Not the woman assaulting a man. If i had posted a video of a man launching an unprovoked attack on a woman the responses would have been much different.

Also no one was knocked out.

autogestión
May 29 2015 15:54
Ha yeah the woman who suffered FGM abuse and patriarchal oppression is a big mean islamophobe. Fuck off you dumb cunt.Victim blaming is fine if it is someone fighting oppression supported by a faith or culture of brown people huh.

Who is victim blaming!? No one is saying she deserved FGM. All anyone is doing is taking issue with some of her views.

Are you saying that because someone has been a victim of FGM we have to agree with everything they say, or else it's "victim blaming"?

Fnordie
May 29 2015 15:56
Georgie89 wrote:
Fnordie wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
Fnordie wrote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

This is feminism. Brilliant. From the guy who just advocated homeless people stabbing civillians too. AWESOME. Smash patriarchy!

You're the one posting knockout videos from worldstar hip hop on libcom.

and that quote was from Lucy Parsons.

Iposted a video of a woman punching a man in an unprovoked attack and giggling about it. You are criticising a man for posting it. Not the woman assaulting a man. If i had posted a video of a man launching an unprovoked attack on a woman the responses would have been much different.

Also no one was knocked out.

here's another worldstarhiphop compilation, let's get outraged about all those bits too

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:57
autogestión wrote:
Do you really think there is no reason men feel bitter towards feminism other than they don't think women should be equal? Could the double standards not enter into it at all?

It's not a double standard because (a) nobody thinks that it's OK for women to hit men and (b) men tend on average to be stronger than women, and therefore the consequences of male violence (at least where no weapons are involved) are likely to be much worse than the consequences of female violence directed at men. There's no double standard in saying that no one should hit anyone, but physically stronger people definitely shouldn't hit physically weaker people.

That is exactly what it is, the principles don't stop being important because of strength. If I walked up to some brick shithouse and insulted or punched him just because he is stronger and more physically imposing and strong than me does not extricate me from the responsibilities tied to the actions I choose to carry out.

No one would call him out for hitting back because a man was way weaker. This is the problem, want all the same rights but you don't think women should face any of the same responsibilities. And your attitude to feminists being offended is completely different to a regular guy being offended.

Reddebrek
May 29 2015 15:59
Georgie89 wrote:
Fleur wrote:
Quote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

I don't know, would that just play into his persecution complex about being oppressed by feminists, SJWs, hipsters, people who don't watch much shite TV, violent women who really just need a good beating, or whatever?

I am not oppressed by feminists, I am merely explaining why society at large mocks you and thinks you are pathetic sensitive whiners. And why people find Bahar and her ilk utterly contemptible.

I wonder what they must think of you.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 15:59
autogestión wrote:
Ha yeah the woman who suffered FGM abuse and patriarchal oppression is a big mean islamophobe. Fuck off you dumb cunt.Victim blaming is fine if it is someone fighting oppression supported by a faith or culture of brown people huh.

Who is victim blaming!? No one is saying she deserved FGM. All anyone is doing is taking issue with some of her views.

Are you saying that because someone has been a victim of FGM we have to agree with everything they say, or else it's "victim blaming"?

I am saying if she said the things she did about non brown christians there would be no feminists giving her death threats or supporting religious violence and repression against brave feminists like her who speak out.

It is fucking disgusting. As if condemning Islam as doctrinally sexist is somehow being islamophobic. This is how first world feminism has basically abandoned the only women who actually need real help. Condemn the woman of colour fighting against islamic oppression, support Bahar and suey park and their trivial nonsense.

Georgie89
May 29 2015 16:01
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
Fleur wrote:
Quote:
or somebody could just fucking ban this guy already...

I don't know, would that just play into his persecution complex about being oppressed by feminists, SJWs, hipsters, people who don't watch much shite TV, violent women who really just need a good beating, or whatever?

I am not oppressed by feminists, I am merely explaining why society at large mocks you and thinks you are pathetic sensitive whiners. And why people find Bahar and her ilk utterly contemptible.

I wonder what they must think of you.

I bet all 100 of them and the couple thousand supporters who reside online have some stern words for the millions of us who think that smile

autogestión
May 29 2015 16:02
That is exactly what it is, the principles don't stop being important because of strength. If I walked up to some brick shithouse and insulted or punched him just because he is stronger and more physically imposing and strong than me does not extricate me from the responsibilities tied to the actions I choose to carry out.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who uses more than the minimum amount of force necessary to defend themselves deserves criticism. The idea that someone hitting you means you have an automatic right to hit them back, even if you don't feel remotely endangered, and even when there are other less violent forms of restraint or defense open to you, is just another part of our messed up concept of masculinity.

Reddebrek
May 29 2015 16:04
Georgie89 wrote:

I bet all 100 of them and the couple thousand supporters who reside online have some stern words for the millions of us who think that :)

What that wasn't really what I meant but no biggie. Its a little odd how none of those millions seem to be backing you up.

Probably just a vote of confidence in your handling of the situation I'm sure groucho

Georgie89
May 29 2015 16:11
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

I bet all 100 of them and the couple thousand supporters who reside online have some stern words for the millions of us who think that :)

What that wasn't really what I meant but no biggie. Its a little odd how none of those millions seem to be backing you up.

Probably just a vote of confidence in your handling of the situation I'm sure groucho

What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up, hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online. Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite. They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled, when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers, or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

If your views were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense. The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though. As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

autogestión
May 29 2015 16:14
Georgie89 wrote:
This is how first world feminism has basically abandoned the only women who actually need real help. Condemn the woman of colour fighting against islamic oppression, support Bahar and suey park and their trivial nonsense.

So let me get this straight.

Helping "the woman of colour fighting against islamic oppression" = good.

Letting women of colour organise autonomously if they wish to = bad.

Have I got that right? Or are you only objecting to the hashtag?

kurekmurek
May 29 2015 16:17

Georgie89
you know one of the mottos of Ocalan is "kill the man". So I think you should take a pause and think what you write over ok? And come back with an appropriate self-critisim smile

autogestión
May 29 2015 16:25
What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up, hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online. Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite. They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled, when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers, or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

If your views were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense. The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though. As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

Feminism is a very broad movement. Feminists often disagree with other feminists on all sorts of issues. Some people who call themselves femenists aren't very nice people, because that's how human beings are, and there's no central office that gives out the feminist membership cards. For example, I once read a blog that was literally saying that after the abolition of patriarchy men would have to be kept under house arrest and the male population reduced to at most a quarter of the human population.

What does the existence of that blog prove about feminism? Absolutely nothing.

Sure, if you want to find some reason for rejecting the whole of first world feminism, you're probably going to find one. The question is, why would you want to come to such a simplistic position?

Fleur
May 29 2015 16:24

Georgie

If you don't have any actual evidence to back up your more outrageous claims about Bahar then take your general rants about feminism and your white-knighting for famous comedians elsewhere.

http://libcom.org/forums/general/misandry-thread-29052015

Reddebrek
May 29 2015 16:24
Georgie89 wrote:

What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up,

Then where are they?

Quote:
hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online.

How do you know, did you take a poll?

Quote:
Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite.

Wow that does sound conclusive, might I see your research notes I may wish to cite in a paper.

Quote:
They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled,

Do they? but how could everyone know if this is all the pass time of a tiny minority on the net?

Quote:
when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers,

Did they, when and was this all of them together? Did they hold a meeting? Or a perhaps a skype chat.

Quote:
or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

Really that's a shame, though it does seem to indicate these few thousand hold real power, why is it that the millions whom oppose them don't stop them?

Quote:
If your views

And how do you know my views, have you been rifling through my bins?

Quote:
were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense.

Err do the majority of women frequently attend hooters? Or was it just a fluke that they happened to be in the vicinity of a few placard wavers?

Quote:
The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though.

Really you asked them did you? My word you must spend a fortune on postage.

Quote:
As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

I guess not, perhaps they're all just too busy to lend you a hand. Maybe its 2 for 1 at hooters? groucho

Georgie89
May 29 2015 16:26
kurremkarmerruk wrote:
Georgie89
you know one of the mottos of Ocalan is "kill the man". So I think you should take a pause and think what you write over ok? And come back with an appropriate self-critisim :)

I posted earlier a documentary where a YPJ leader talks about fighting for womens rights and basically shits all over feminism. Feminism of the Suey Park and Bahar, which is the feminism of the privileged who have no struggles has no resemblance to the feminists of various communist movements where women are fighting and dying in a place women are incredibly unfree, for the equal rights Suey and Bahar already have.

Fleur
May 29 2015 16:28

You are BJJ aren't you?

autogestión
May 29 2015 16:29

Who's BJJ? Sorry, just curious.

Tyrion
May 29 2015 16:30
autogestión wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:
This is how first world feminism has basically abandoned the only women who actually need real help. Condemn the woman of colour fighting against islamic oppression, support Bahar and suey park and their trivial nonsense.

So let me get this straight.

Helping "the woman of colour fighting against islamic oppression" = good.

Letting women of colour organise autonomously if they wish to = bad.

Have I got that right? Or are you only objecting to the hashtag?

But what if those women of color are organizing autonomously into a YPJ unit? How will our intrepid young militiaman decide whether that's self-entitled white middle class SJW feminism or the noble serious feminism worth shipping out to get killed for?

Agent not available
May 29 2015 16:31
Reddebrek wrote:
Georgie89 wrote:

What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up,

Then where are they?

Quote:
hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online.

How do you know, did you take a poll?

Quote:
Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite.

Wow that does sound conclusive, might I see your research notes I may wish to cite in a paper.

Quote:
They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled,

Do they? but how could everyone know if this is all the pass time of a tiny minority on the net?

Quote:
when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers,

Did they, when and was this all of them together? Did they hold a meeting? Or a perhaps a skype chat.

Quote:
or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

Really that's a shame, though it does seem to indicate these few thousand hold real power, why is it that the millions whom oppose them don't stop them?

Quote:
If your views

And how do you know my views, have you been rifling through my bins?

Quote:
were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense.

Err do the majority of women frequently attend hooters? Or was it just a fluke that they happened to be in the vicinity of a few placard wavers?

Quote:
The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though.

Really you asked them did you? My word you must spend a fortune on postage.

Quote:
As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

I guess not, perhaps they're all just too busy to lend you a hand. Maybe its 2 for 1 at hooters? groucho

I think all of Georgie89's 'research' and 'numbers' come from youtube and from the comments section under the videos he likes to watch.

Fleur
May 29 2015 16:32
Quote:
Who's BJJ? Sorry, just curious.

A serial banned poster. Liked rape jokes, thought libcom & other radicals were too out of touch with the average working class man, hated feminists, stood up valiantly for the poor oppressed TV comedians, hated Suey Park. Progressed on to posting up porn, iirc.

kurekmurek
May 29 2015 16:35

See the book. To be honest I do not think neither party nor Ypj threats such issues very lightly as they are handled in white internet forums smile

Georgie89
May 29 2015 16:39
autogestión wrote:
What? the millions of people in the public are backing me up, hence why there are only a couple thousand SJW's, most of whom only exist online. Everyone else thinks first world contemporary feminism is pathetic whiny liberal shite. They get angry when bloggers try and get shows cancelled, when they run campaign to do inane pointless whiney shit like force firemen not to have pinups inside their lockers, or stop speakers from talking at universities. Like how chris rock and George Both said at separate times they no longer play universities because the leftist feminist crowd are the least tolerant and most easily offended group.

If your views were representative of women the vast majority of women wouldn't mock and ridicule the feminists holding up signs outside of hooters or whining about nonsense. The vast majority of women and workers agree with me, nice try though. As if because SJW's on a radical left site not agreeing with me means people in society don't lol.

Feminism is a very broad movement. Feminists often disagree with other feminists on all sorts of issues. Some people who call themselves femenists aren't very nice people, because that's how human beings are, and there's no central office that gives out the feminist membership cards. For example, I once read a blog that was literally saying that after the abolition of patriarchy men would have to be kept under house arrest and the male population reduced to at most a quarter of the human population.

What does the existence of that blog prove about feminism? Absolutely nothing.

Sure, if you want to find some reason for rejecting the whole of first world feminism, you're probably going to find one. The question is, why would you want to come to such a simplistic position?

Sure feminism ranges from working class women saying they want equal rights. Then on the other end of the spectrum there are ones who claim PIV sex is always rape. But the issue almost no one in the west has a bad word to say about what most people refer to as old feminism which is basically women who didn't enjoy the same legal rights as men who wanted them.

That is what feminism in the third world is. Most people don't refer to that as feminism because it is seen as durrrr ... obviously.

It is no coincidence that a documentary i linked has Kurdish women fighting for equal rights, who are taking leadership roles and leading a fight against Daesh. They say the same thing about feminism. When people criticise feminism they are talking about the feminism that is only allowed to flourish in a safe and easy society. This is the same reason veganism, anorexia and ban bossy exist in the riches most affluent places in the world. Because people with actual shit to worry about are not interested in such shite.

autogestión
May 29 2015 16:42

So are you honestly saying that women face no problems worth fighting against in "western" countries?