8 posts / 0 new
Last post
JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Nov 18 2008 02:29
Anarchism 2009

From the site,

Quote:
Anarchism 2009- After the success of the Northern educational it was suggested that the AF hold a public event celebrating anarchist ideas.
It is going to be a big event with the all encompassing theme of "celebrating cultures of resistance" both internationally and at home. Speakers will be coming from across the country (and the globe) to speak of their experiences in class struggle and the focus of the day will be very much on the lessons that can be learned from our ideas in practice. The year also coincides with the 25th anniversary of the miner's strike, the 40th anniversary of the end of the Spanish Revolution and the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Bogside. These events will be incorporated as central themes throughout the day. The intention is to hire out a large venue (enough to give us a cinema space, cafe, area for stalls and large meeting area) as well as additional seminar rooms for smaller meetings. Films, music and various other entertainment will be incorporated into the day as well as the more educational stuff. It will be held in June as this will also allow us to generate a great deal of publicity for 2009 G8 (and invite some Italian comrades to come over and speak about the mobilisations).

Who are the speakers at the event?

madashell's picture
madashell
Nov 19 2008 12:27

So far as I know, nothing's been finalised just yet. More details will become available soon.

knightrose
Nov 19 2008 14:20

At this stage we are close to finalising the venue. It's been difficult to find anywhere big enough and affordable. I reckon it's going to cost in the region of £4000-£5000 to put on, so getting the venue right to start with is pretty crucial.

We have a couple of speakers from Oaxaca who are keen to come, we are hoping from one from South Africa. Everything at the moment depends on the venue and how soon we can finalise it. Personally, I'm aiming for Manchester.

We should also be starting a website soon.

In the meantime, any suggestions would be welcome smile

maninblack's picture
maninblack
Jan 19 2009 16:11

How are this progressing now?

maninblack's picture
maninblack
Jan 19 2009 16:12

How are things progressing now?

maninblack's picture
maninblack
Jan 19 2009 16:17

Sorry for the confusion - I've just found the other thread with the latest info!

madashell's picture
madashell
Feb 18 2009 11:05

*bump*

The date for this has changed to avoid clashing with the Bradford re-visited conference (among other reasons), provisionally, the date will be the 5th/6th of September, which will be confirmed soon (we need to book the venue).

ginger's picture
ginger
Feb 19 2009 12:21

And the venue is going to be in Sheffield. Might be end of September as the preferred venue will then be much much cheaper.

We had a really exciting meeting (yeah, yeah, maybe i'm just really sad) about it on Sunday and came up with provisional topics and speakers as well as skill share workshops (eg on encryption) and a basic "intro to anarcho communism.

Its going to be almost entirely focused on those actually involved in struggles rather than theory based/purely intellectual speakers. So we have (and its all provisional just now) panels on "housing", "workplace", "no borders", "ecology", "technology" plus a ton of others and a plan to bring together those involved in struggles around similar issues from both UK and around the world.

Some speakers may just be video conferenced in, dependent on their individual situation, getting visas, their ability to leave their struggle and, of course, the price of the plane ticket. We have prioritised the list of internationals so we can see how much money we will raise and book their tickets as we fundraise.

On Monday I was chatting with a provisional speaker on community organising (in a township just outside Cape Town) and he was really excited about the possibility to network and share experiences with others involved in similar struggles, so its not just about us learning from them.

We were talking about getting folks for "the next one" if they can't get to 2009 - whether we'd want to do it annually or every 2 years or so (or never again!) has not been decided and will be really dependent on how it goes this year and obviously be a decision for the whole Fed.