DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Anarchist Federation leaflet for climate camp

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Django's picture
Django
Aug 27 2009 09:53
Anarchist Federation leaflet for climate camp

Leaflet circulated at this year's camp for climate action by attending AF members:

http://www.afed.org.uk/pdfs/afed_climate_camp_meet_the_green_boss.pdf

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 27 2009 15:55

Is that a new AF logo?

Now it's only Brighton SolFed with an inexplicable inferno sad

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 27 2009 19:46

Please feel free to put it in the library here, with text and PDF.

raw
Aug 27 2009 20:10

Thats a really good leaflet and a tone that will go down well at the climate camp. nice one!

Django's picture
Django
Aug 28 2009 09:22
Joseph Kay wrote:
Is that a new AF logo?

Now it's only Brighton SolFed with an inexplicable inferno :(

Its one of several alternative logos groups are using, and probably the one that fits best with the noble anarchist tradition of homoerotic artwork wink

Farce's picture
Farce
Aug 28 2009 10:09
Django wrote:
Joseph Kay wrote:
Is that a new AF logo?

Now it's only Brighton SolFed with an inexplicable inferno :(

Its one of several alternative logos groups are using, and probably the one that fits best with the noble anarchist tradition of homoerotic artwork wink

That's what it looks like after several redraftings. The original was a shirtless Arnie with a red flag and a shirtless Sly with the black one.

Caiman del Barrio
Aug 28 2009 13:50

I went down yesterday and might swing by again tomorrow (well it's walking distance from where I'm living)...will see if I can't hand some out (no money to print though, sorry kids). Vestas people were also down there.

Unfortunately the whole thing looked like a festival minus all the entertainment. It's in one corner of Blackheath Common (with the travelling fayre next to it being more conspicuous and popular) and mostly comprises of a few hundred tents and some posh students smoking rollies. I could hear some woman giving a speech which - from her tone - sounded really self-righteous so I didn't bother listening. wink

There's no signature profile-raising anarchy this time round either, so the whole thing will essentially be a great subcultural big knees up from what I can see...

Battlescarred
Aug 28 2009 15:04

But there was an AF public meeting at the camp this morning at 10.30. Wasn't there cos I is wage slave. Perhaps other AFers will tell us how it went?

Caiman del Barrio
Aug 29 2009 15:03

Tried to print off some of the AF leaflets yesterday but the printers at my old uni's library weren't working. If someone from the AF can pass me on a bunch I'll get rid of them since the camp's about 20 mins' walk from here. PM me.

Django's picture
Django
Aug 30 2009 08:26

Report from the AF meeting:

Quote:
Report from workshop hosted by the anarchist federation on how to best build links between the activism of the Social Ecology movement and those in the workplace.

The workshop posed a number of questions that we felt were currently important to the future development of the social ecology movement:

- Why, in spite of the fact that climate change disproportionately effects the urban and agrarian poor, is there a percieved divide between working people and activists in the Green movement?

- How do we meet the challenge of a "Green" capitalism and how does this impact upon our movement?

- How do we interact with existing working class organisations and organise in the work place?

The meeting was well attended with a variety of people from diverse backgrounds. It was felt across the meeting that the issues being addressed were important ones and that there was a need to spread this debate wider throughout the Green movement. The recent occupation in Vestas and the continuing solidarity efforts amongst the workers featured strongly in the discussion, with a worker and a number of activists from the campaign contributing to the debate.

Key issues arrising from the discussion included:

* Nationalisation and the state - there was disagreement as to what extent the state will play a role in averting the ecological crisis. Many Marxists and some from within Workers Climate Action felt that the nationalisation of certain industries represented a possible strategic gain for the Green agenda. Others felt that nationalisation had historically been used to contain working class struggle and that there was a possibility of the militancy of the Green movement being likewise diverted into the existing mechanisms of the state. The utility of the state as a tool for social change was also questioned as well as its role in the continued maintenance of the capitalist system. Similarly, notions of horiozontalism and self-organisation conflict with support for the intervention of the state on ecological issues.

* Workers tied into the carbon economy - there was a general consensus that workers should not be held responsible for how socially productive their work is. Workers who are currently working within carbon-intensive industries, e.g. car manufacture, energy production, need our support. We should be helping them gain more control over their wokrplaces so they themselves can shape the future of their industries.

* Medium vs. Long-term demands - many within the trade union movement identifed existing resources that could be used to forward ecological reforms in the workplace (particularly courses provided by the TUC). It was also emphasised that these were a good way of generating enthusiasm amongst workers for ecology on a grassroots level. Day-to-day shop floor demands are important and Green issues should be encompassed within this. However, there was also a danger in loosing sight of long-term anti-capitalist objectives. We should also be seeking to challenge the very nature of work and the interests it serves.

* Green austerity - the dangers of austerity politics was discussed. Not only was it felt that this represented a potential barrier to the further development of our movement but it was also felt that this could lead to authoritarianism in the movement. The strength of corporate and mainstream Green politics was also idenitifed as a danger to our movement.

* Urgency - The sense of urgency that has been placed upon us by the ecological crisis could be regarded as a useful tool for spreading our message. Capitalism is so bad, it is actually messing up the planet. However, it was also felt that this urgency could lead people to seemingly "easy" solutions that actually divert the energies of the movement.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Aug 30 2009 09:22

sounds like a constructive meeting, nice one

Hungry56
Aug 30 2009 10:03

In a few weeks there's a climate camp in South Australia, a comrade is going so he's gonna re-write this leaflet for here and hand it out at camp.

georgestapleton's picture
georgestapleton
Aug 30 2009 15:31

Yeah sounds like a productive meeting well done for organising it.

However, and this isn't a dig at the AF but rather at the entireity of the class struggle left, it is my current pet peeve.....

Quote:
Why, in spite of the fact that climate change disproportionately effects the urban and agrarian poor, is there a percieved divide between working people and activists in the Green movement?

Since when has 'urban and agrarian poor' been a synonym for 'working people'?

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Aug 30 2009 16:23

Since when has class struggle been a part of the left?

little_brother's picture
little_brother
Aug 31 2009 10:24

I wasn't at these meetings so someone else can hopefully answer last points, just to say all of the above texts and a new perspective paper can now be found here:
http://www.afed.org.uk

PS have all the libcom moderators died? - I tried to move multiple threads below (apart from the most recent one) to the bin ages ago and also PMed. If anyone can do this please go ahead, thanks.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 31 2009 10:39

We have a technical problem in that pending revisions are no longer flagged up to editors.

I'll try to delete them when I get a chance. But in future please remember to only click "save" once. You may need to be patient.

For the future, maybe we could talk about making one of you guys an editor to sort stuff like that out for you.

Also, any problems like that it's better to post in the feedback forum than message individual editors, who may be on holiday or whatever.

Django's picture
Django
Sep 2 2009 16:01
Quote:
Since when has 'urban and agrarian poor' been a synonym for 'working people'?

I don't think the comrades involved in organising that meeting would say that its a synonym, and I don't think that its actually used as a synonym in the text. It's clearly true that the large majority of working class people in the 'developing countries' which stand to be hit most severely by climate change are 'urban and agrarian poor' though, even if most working class people in britain (for example) aren't really 'poor'

Farce's picture
Farce
Sep 2 2009 16:08
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Tried to print off some of the AF leaflets yesterday but the printers at my old uni's library weren't working. If someone from the AF can pass me on a bunch I'll get rid of them since the camp's about 20 mins' walk from here. PM me.

Ah, think I bumped into you on the way to the pub. Also, I think the link little brother meant to give was: http://www.afed.org.uk/component/content/article/120.html

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 2 2009 20:53

Pretty much everyone I spoke to yesterday felt pretty disillusioned with this year's Camp. Seems like a good thing since the gaff looked like a fuckin bad festival site. I heard of a couple of tokenistic actions at RBS and Daily Mail, both of which seemed to be pretty redundant and mainly linked to self-gratification and activist superhero points.

Maybe some of the more genuine types will now move onto productive activity after seeing the self-promotional activist drudgery of Climate Camp, here's hoping at least.