DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Do you guys have an organisation in Ireland?

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devrim's picture
Devrim
Jan 30 2008 07:08
madashell wrote:
I like the first one better, myself, though I wouldn't say one was "harder" or "softer" than the other.

In terms of the positions the current one (the second above) is more 'left', but I believe that it was in place already at the time. The reason I say 'harder' is that I don't believe that the AF at the time would have got involved with the IWW.

Devrim

little_brother's picture
little_brother
Feb 26 2008 19:23

Possibly, but there's a distinction to be made between IWW's 'one big union' philosophy and the idea of trade unionism which divides workers along the lines of their 'trade' (or situation of unemployment) which is contrary to our As&Ps. Plus, in practice IWW UK operates more as network of militants rather than a union that negotiates with the bosses.

little_brother's picture
little_brother
Feb 26 2008 21:24

From what I can see, not being involved with the campaign, but reading Bread and Roses magazine account, that IWW did pretty well against the Crichton campus closure in terms of militancy. The question is perhaps more about to what extent this constitutes a policy of rank and filism - shaming a backsliding UCU, since, "IWW members in the UCU made the fight to save the campus a national union issue", and also the SNP, since, "continuing IWW impetus kept pressure on the [SNP] Executive to act". Quotes from Bread and Roses.