DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Functions of Afed

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
skki
Nov 24 2008 21:26
Functions of Afed

I've been thinking about joining Afed for a while now. From what I gather from the website, it's a grouping of militant antifascist Anarcho-Communists, who take part in Antifa-esque activism. But the website doesn't really go into the nature of the organization. Are there meetings? Is it a formal or informal collective? How many members does it have? What are the day to day operations? etc etc. The whole thing seems pretty shady and I can't really be too sure what to expect from it. Anyone care to fill me in?

knightrose
Nov 24 2008 21:34

The AF is a formal membership organisation. Membership is open to those who: agree with our Aims and Principles and agree to work with the organisation as well as to pay regular dues.

We meet formally as a federation every three months. One of those meetings is a policy making conference, the other three are delegate meetings which implement policy.

We've got around 10 groups in different cities and towns and a smattering of individual members too.

My group is Manchester AF. We meet every two weeks (sometimes more). Although we endeavour to make decisions by consensus we're not frightened of voting where necessary. Meetings are chaired and we have elected officers of both the local groups and the national federation.

Membership is over 100.

If you want to read more, then have a look at www.af-north.org - the Manchester AF website. On the home page you'll find links to a series of texts as well as to our constitution.

skki
Nov 25 2008 00:38

"pay regular dues"
Dues as in, donations?

knightrose
Nov 25 2008 06:52

no. Regular contributions to the organisation. They vary according to how much you earn.

Battlescarred
Nov 25 2008 10:51

It would be untrue to say that the AF was defined by "Antifascism" it does far, far more than that

Django's picture
Django
Nov 25 2008 23:05

Absolutely. Antifa isn't an AF front. None of my activities with the Anarchist Federation to date could be called "anti-fascism". We're a class struggle anarchist communist organisation, not an anti-fascist organisation.

BillyKennedy_92
Jan 31 2009 18:19

I asked in the other board about a group like AYN. Is there anything like this in the AF? I am nearly 17. Are there members of the organization that are this young?

knightrose
Jan 31 2009 23:06

Hi Billy - there's no specific youth wing of the AF. But we've got members of all ages from 16 - 60. The question is whether people agree with our Aims and Principles.
If you live near somewhere where we've got a group why not get in touch and see what you think.

BillyKennedy_92
Feb 2 2009 00:57

So are there many young members in your London group.

RedAndBlack
Feb 2 2009 10:44
BillyKennedy_92 wrote:
So are there many young members in your London group.

It's a good mix in the London group with a lot of the new members being a lot younger. There are some who are of your age.

sum-one's picture
sum-one
Feb 2 2009 13:06

I'm your age BillKennedy, age really isn't an issue within the Fed. All of the others in my local group are 20s +, and I have no problem at all. There are younger members in some other groups, and I'm sure you'll find alot in London. There are plenty of advantages in getting involved at this sort of age; it's developed my political beliefs and understanding of political organisations alot more. If you want to chat more, PM me.
Thanks.

unsacred's picture
unsacred
Oct 31 2010 23:12

Usufruct is one the principles of the Anarchist Federation, but you appear to be in it for the long-haul. Fascism is an awkward entity that simply gets in the way of what we are doing, but we have dealt with it in the past. Likewise, religious fundamentalism and racist nationalism are a threat to the cause, and the same applies to them.

unsacred's picture
unsacred
Nov 8 2010 17:12