DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Have your say

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
pseudonym
Apr 7 2011 12:55
Have your say

I'm a student from Leeds, writing a feature on the Anarchist movement in the UK. Any Afed/SolFed members willing to give me their views on philosophy, tactics and the current anti-cuts campaign, please email me at slam.dunked@live.com asap, or post here. I have a short few questions which would take no longer than ten minutes, I can either send them via personal message or email and recieve written responses or conduct a quick telephone interview.

I was in touch with the National Sec of Afed, and a couple of people from various branches but still haven't properly recieved any official answers to my questions. So I am putting this plea out to anyone on this board who can help!

If you are a part of any official anarchist organisation in the UK, and would like to contribute to the feature, please get in touch asap! Otherwise the piece will just have be very one sided, and containing no real contribution from the movement...

I look forward to hearing from some of you...

Thanks

Harrison
Apr 7 2011 15:53

you won't get any replies unless you tell us what you are writing it for, and what slant you are going to give it. and even then, you probably won't get any replies

pseudonym wrote:
Otherwise the piece will just have be very one sided, and containing no real contribution from the movement...

if we give you a contribution, all we are doing is legitimising whatever other content is in your article. plus you have the final say over what appears (not to mention any editors that might be involved), so we will never be fairly represented.

the phrase 'no dialogue with x' springs to mind

admin: no flaming

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 7 2011 15:57

Hi, and welcome to libcom. What is your article about, and what are you writing for? If you gave us that information people will be able to make a more informed decision

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 7 2011 16:47
Quote:
if we give you a contribution, all we are doing is legitimising whatever other content is in your article

Bit naive that. Written legitimacy doesn't come from the tongue of an anarchist in most people's minds, if it did no-one would take any notice of the Telegraph.

Harrison
Apr 7 2011 19:24
Rob Ray wrote:
Quote:
if we give you a contribution, all we are doing is legitimising whatever other content is in your article

Bit naive that. Written legitimacy doesn't come from the tongue of an anarchist in most people's minds, if it did no-one would take any notice of the Telegraph.

i know i'm completely derailing here.....

i get your point,
but, by entering into dialog with an information source in order to have your message distributed, you legitimise that information source, give them detailed info about you and leave them free to adjust your message however they see fit. hence the message is recuperated.

isn't that the whole point of why we use our own independent news sources?

at least outright lies can be completely refuted, but it seems to me very difficult to repair a warped representation

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 18 2011 16:11

Sorry missed this.

Quote:
you legitimise that information source

As I say, whatever legitimacy they have in the public's mind has sod all to do with you or your approval. The BNP talks to the Telegraph sometimes, you think that "legitimises" it in the minds of right-wingers? Of course not. The legitimacy comes from a much wider engagement with society at large, alongside approval from other media groups, the state etc which aggregates as legitimacy.

The only rule they have to abide by is right to reply - ie. they have to ask our opinion - but they don't give a shit whether we reply or not (in fact it's better for them if we don't, because it makes us look secretive and isolated and allows them to characterise to their hearts' content).

Quote:
give them detailed info about you

Why on earth would you give them detailed information about yourself? Just say you're not prepared to give a face-to-face interview and offer a fake name or just say you're a representative. Pretty simple. You think the many, many lurid stories that go in every day are all correctly named and impeccably sourced? Journos get names wrong half the time even when they're told outright!

Quote:
leave them free to adjust your message however they see fit

Again, they'll do that whether you speak out or not. But if they actively misquote you there are legal channels you can go down, so as long as you have a recording of the interview you can sure their ass for huge sums of money even if you didn't fancy just releasing a hugely embarrassing vid of them lying through their teeth for general consumption. Like Chomsky did with the Guardian recently, for example.

This stuff isn't about leaping into bed with the media at every opportunity or not using our own media (of course we should, which is why I've been heavily involved in freedom, Black Flag, Hackney Heckler and christ knows what else over the years), it's about being smarter than just allowing them to ride roughshod over you.

Quote:
at least outright lies can be completely refuted

Where, precisely? In that massive media machine we have at our own disposal? Bless you dude that's a wonderful thought but the total readership of anarchist media is a few thousand across all platforms I'd guess and those are mostly other anarchists.

Indigo's picture
Indigo
Apr 18 2011 16:47

I'd be interested to see Chomsky catching out the guardian would you be able to post up a link>?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 18 2011 17:12
Indigo wrote:
I'd be interested to see Chomsky catching out the guardian would you be able to post up a link>?

check out this article and the related articles below it:
http://libcom.org/news/article.php/chomsky-guardian-greatest-intellectual

Harrison
Apr 20 2011 19:14
Rob Ray wrote:
Bless you dude

i'm going to use this phrase in the future!

i see where you are coming from,

btw by detailed info i didn't mean personal scoops, just attempting to communicate your message through the media.

in regards to refuting:
i was referring to engaging with non-anarchists in regular conversation. I know it sounds weird, but it is easier to do if they've been told by the capitalist propaganda machine(s) that we're all a bunch of nihilistic thugs. It seems that our very use of rational arguments, commitments to social engagement and lack of 'wanton violence' is therefore a living exposition of the media's lies.

This kind of thing seems to me to start the far more important work of de-legitimising the news sources, than gaining us a quick leg up through some publicity.

however that said,
i've sort of defeated my own argument here, it probably would be good in many ways if the class struggle workplace organising aspect of anarchism were more publicised as more of the right kind of people would be attracted to it (as opposed to people - like me - who first become interested because of the insurrectionary chic and then have to go through a theoretical turmoil to arrive at the idea of community activism and workplace organising). so i think i get what you mean by preventing them riding roughshod over us