Hello & How green is your valley?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alone Together
Sep 28 2010 18:32
Hello & How green is your valley?

First post but been reading for a while.

I had a good chat with an A Fed member (Hello S) this afternoon and, while never being much of a joiner of anything, I am seriously considering joining AF. I have just read the Aims and Principles and I certainly go along with all of them.

I was though surprised that there was no specific mention of any aim or principle directly relating to the environment. Don't panic...I am no primitivist. I do realise that individual members own feelings about it will vary so I wonder if someone could guide me to any article which might clarify AF's overall view on environmentalism.

tia

madashell's picture
madashell
Sep 28 2010 20:33

There's A+P 5:

Quote:
As well as exploiting and oppressing the majority of people, Capitalism threatens the world through war and the destruction of the environment.

Though IMO it probably needs rewriting to give more detail.

We did publish a pamphlet called Ecology and Class, which can be found on our website, here.

Alone Together
Sep 28 2010 21:35

I am of course already familiar with Capitalism's threat to the environment.

Many thanks for the link.

nastyned
Sep 28 2010 22:09

Lots of articles in Organise! magazine too.

Alone Together
Sep 28 2010 23:30

Thanks I will have a browse. Trouble is whenever I do, something totally unrelated grabs my attention. It's the same with old papers.

I didn't mean to suggest that I doubted that good principles would be in place btw. I was just surprised, with the obvious implications involved, that there wasn't a specific principle in the A&P's.

Anyway...pleanty of reading to do now.

nastyned
Oct 1 2010 22:21

The As&Ps are quite old and though we've tweaked them over the years so far our efforts at a major rehaul haven't borne fruit. Twenty whatever years ago the environment wasn't such a big issue.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 1 2010 23:48

yeah, and also it would be pretty much given for everyone at this stage, on all sides of the political spectrum, so I don't think having a specific principle on it in addition to the mention already made is necessary

unsacred's picture
unsacred
Oct 31 2010 19:29

This is false. The Aims & Principles of the Anarchist Federation ought to put you in the picture regarding revolutionary anarchism, how the class struggle develops, but our goal being Anarchist-Communism, the environment would play a big part. Certainly, you have not read the fifth paragraph of the Aims & Principles. Well! It is though true that there are pamphlets dealing with the environment, such as this.