DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Joining AF

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
FourOneFour
Apr 6 2011 01:12
Joining AF

Hey all, I've just completed my registration on the forums, and as it is 2am I will keep these questions short and sweet.

Long story short, I want to become a member, of the AF without having to travel to meet people to prove that I hold anarchist beliefs. Is it 100% required that I meet someone?

"If you want to join then it's important that you meet someone in the AF first. That's how we find out if you do basically agree with us and also how you find out whether you really want to be part of the AF. It's a two way process of getting to know each other, not an "interview"."

I was just looking for a Anarchist group where events, protests etc. were organised within, the thought of voting for stuff within the actual fed doesn't intrest me because I wan't the world to change and discussing what goes on within isn't going to change the world. Forgive me if I have read it wrong as I only skimmed through.

So Can I become a member without all the hassle of meeting people and going to conferences? Thank you

ticking_fool
Apr 6 2011 06:00
Quote:
I was just looking for a Anarchist group where events, protests etc. were organised within, the thought of voting for stuff within the actual fed doesn't intrest me because I wan't the world to change and discussing what goes on within isn't going to change the world.

I'm not sure you really get why we organise ourselves as a federation and take our internal processes very seriously. It's not optional - it's absolutely central to what we do. We organise our activity collectively either through our local groups or through the national organisation. The internal meetings and votes and all of that are the way that we do this. We're an anarchist organisation that sees the way we do things as at least as important as what we do. We don't just 'do stuff' - we try to make sure that we discuss collectively why we're doing it and what the most effective way of doing it is. Sometimes that's as simple as having a bunch of people that can proofread a leaflet, or offer legal advice or talk about their experience of doing something similar to what you want to try. Other times it means theoretical discussion and reflection and reading and whathaveyou to try and understand what's going on and get a better idea of how to involve ourselves. Still other times it means doing bureaucratic stuff because organisations need administration to run and doing it openly is the only way to stop power accumulating at key points in the organisation.

If you don't personally want to take on the bureaucratic stuff that's fine, but it's a key part of how the organisation runs and something members should pay at least some attention to.

As for meeting with new members - it is essential. We need that contact with new people to see what they're up for, how they want to be involved, what local group they can work with and all that kind of thing. It also offers the organisation some, minimal, protection against police or fascist infiltration by making it impossible to join from an email account in an office. It isn't foolproof by any stretch, but undercovers are expensive and it at least means that the police would have to spend a little bit of money to get at is.

FourOneFour
Apr 6 2011 07:40

Ahh, I see, sorry for my misunderstanding, I wrongly presumed that by joining you had to vote on things that would have no affect on the whole organisation. Like I said, it was 2 am when I read it, and therefore posted that comment, thanks for the reply I'll look more into your organisation. But other than my 2 am tired mind, it all looks great, lots of members, great togetherness, and of course great for the future.

ticking_fool
Apr 6 2011 08:03

Local groups have quite a lot of autonomy - as long as they don't do anything outside the Aims and Principles they get to decide what they do or don't do and most of our activity happens through the groups. We'd only ever be voting at national meetings on things that effected the whole organisation.

Where are you based? The best way to get involved is either to contact the nearest local group or get in touch through our national info at afed dot org dot uk address.

Battlescarred
Apr 6 2011 09:53

I would have thought that meeting other AF members at conferences and sharing experiences and collectively developing the politics, strategy and tactics of the organisation would be seen as beneficial by people wanting to join the AF.
Anyway you need to email the AF to tell us what part of the UK you are in so a meet-up can be arranged( see above)

FourOneFour
Apr 6 2011 16:55
ticking_fool wrote:
Where are you based? The best way to get involved is either to contact the nearest local group or get in touch through our national info at afed dot org dot uk address.

I am based in Blackpool, Lancashire. and I'd love to get involved, as individuals the likelihood of us making a difference in the short term is greatly lower than if there is a group.

knightrose
Apr 7 2011 12:05

We've got a member or two in Blackpool, plus a couple in the Preston area. They organise as Lancashire AF.

pm me your email address and I'll get one of them to contact you.