London AF public meeting

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Battlescarred
Mar 22 2011 18:51
London AF public meeting

EVERYTHING WE WON THEY WANT BACK!
HOW TO FIGHT THE CUTS AND HOW NOT TO
How do we successfully organise to fight the cuts that are being put through via council cuts, cuts to the NHS , and cuts to social services?
“ Deserving “ and “ undeserving” cuts ? Are there such things? Are cuts inevitable?
Successes at the local level in fighting cuts. How small victories can break with the feelings of resignation and apathy.
The problems of organising locally. Do anarchists/libertarians organise together separately or do they involve themselves in broad anti-cuts groups and campaigns. If we get involved in broad campaigns how do we avoid being marginalised by the left. How can we counter the propaganda of Trotskyists and others which focuses on “Con-Dem” government cuts and conveniently forgets the experiences of the last Labour government and their pioneering of many of the cuts taking place and which implies a tacit support for Labour?
How do we join up struggles and campaigns? How do we come together as workers, as tenants, as those in the same neighbourhoods and boroughs, as consumers?
Discussion meeting convened by the London group of the Anarchist Federation with speakers from local campaigns and from student occupations ( TBC). All welcome. Plenty of time for questions and discussion
7pm Thursday March 31st , Freedom Bookshop, Angel Alley, 84b Whitechapel High Street ( entrance to Angel Alley next to KFC and Whitechapel Art Gallery). Nearest tube Aldgate East. Disabled access.

Battlescarred
Mar 30 2011 15:54

Tomorrow!!

Battlescarred
Mar 31 2011 08:58

Today!

Harrison
Mar 31 2011 17:49

argh my haircut overran. was going to come to this

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Mar 31 2011 22:40

How much hair do you have? or did have, as the case may be.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Mar 31 2011 23:38

Good meeting. Hope the AF can facilitate the same again, and the people continue to attend.

Harrison
Apr 1 2011 09:00
Ellar wrote:
How much hair do you have? or did have, as the case may be.

it was unfortunately approaching hippy size, but thanks to the cut i have now purged my outer woodstock.

i hope AF continue to do these open anti-cuts meetings

Battlescarred
Apr 1 2011 09:19

There was a general feeling that the AF should continue this as a regular anti-cuts forum, with a possibility/probability that it will be co-sponsored by other groups. We will let people know soon. Almost 30 people there, good discussion, which we hope to continue ( see above)

kingstonian
Apr 3 2011 12:10

When it will be the next meeting? I missed this one.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 3 2011 21:31

I don't think it's been decided when the next meet will be but yeah there will be another

Battlescarred
Apr 4 2011 09:55

A Times journo was there: ( we had asked any journalists at start of meeting to leave)
At a meeting of the Anarchist Federation on Thursday, which The Times secretly attended. activists warned that "spectaculars like Saturday" were drawing more people into radical action. One student from London School of Economics at a Whitechapel bookshop that more of his peers were becoming "radicalised" by "police agression" and the mass arrest of UK Uncut protesters in Fortnum and Mason.
Another of the 25 plus anarchists in attendance, adressed only as Comrade said it was time to escalate their war against the State. "We need to start using psychological warfare against MPs, like animal rights activists did. Follow them around knock on their door, tell their neighbours that these are the ones destroying the world." There was approval when another speaker proposed disrupting transport. "Let's blockade train stations and other transport hubs. Make it more difficult for people to travel around the country carrying out cuts. UK Uncut will support us.""

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 4 2011 10:13

Is that from an article in The Times? You got a link?

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 10:33

battlescarred, is the Times article online yet?

its obviously a load of sensationalist rubbish, but i'd like to read the whole thing.
despite the rhetoric, Afed's non-insurrectionary approach still shines through

EDIT: it really seems as though the media is deliberately trying to drive a wedge between UK Uncut (as representative of the grassroots 'peaceful' protesters) and us.

i had some chats with UK Uncut people, and some are stuck in the media's anti-anarchist 'violent minority' dogma, but others are very forward thinking and declare themselves in solidarity with all protesters.

Battlescarred
Apr 4 2011 10:36

Yep article from Times.
Online yet? Dunno, anyway there's a paywall so it will cost you to access it!!

Battlescarred
Apr 4 2011 10:40

"Balaclava brigade sets its sights on transport and royal wedding
Fiona Hamilton and David Sanderson
The TimesPublished: 02 April 2011UK News
Anarchists intend to stalk politicians...At a meeting of the Anarchist Federation on Thursday, which The Times...Another of the 25-plus anarchists in attendance, addressed...and more extremist anarchist groups such as Network... "
From Times website ( bit that's available free)

Battlescarred
Apr 4 2011 10:45

This is what one of the sleazy lying journos emailed us previously
" am a reporter at the Times but please read on.

I am trying to understand the forces behind Saturday’s march and indeed previous demonstrations across the country in protest at the Tory cuts. In particular, I am interested in the concept of black bloc and how this becomes an effective protesting tactic given the disparate groups and individuals involved.

I do work for what can be fairly called the establishment media but I am not interested in throwing mud or misrepresenting. I just want to understand the context around protests.

If anyone is willing to have a talk, in complete confidence if preferable, then please get in touch on 020 7782 5924 or to the above email.

David "

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 10:59

they all seem a bit scared of Network X don't they? perhaps because it demonstrates an attempt to unite the different libertarian groups.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 4 2011 11:22
Quote:
they all seem a bit scared of Network X don't they?

Yeah that's because many hacks are far too lazy to actually read the source matter and rely on what their peers have already said - hence their continuing to list Chris Knight as a leading member of the movement.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 4 2011 11:45

I think they jsut like the name Network X, as far as names for 'extremist' groups go it's a journalists wet dream.

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
Apr 4 2011 12:06

Just got this in my inbox

Quote:
Hello,

I am emailing from CNN in London and we are working on a report about the UK protest scene. I wondered if anyone from your group would be interested in talking to us on camera? I understand you may be reluctant to reveal your identity so we can film the interview anonymously if needed.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Dan Rivers,
Senior International Correspondent.

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 12:26

weird that they think we are naive enough to not know that they will totally fuck us over.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Apr 4 2011 13:03

is it safe to have meetings like this when we don't have any way of preventing journalists turning up? it's annoying because I definetely thnk another meeting is a good idea.

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 13:17

Would the best protection not be found in being as open as possible? Otherwise AF will end up like CrimeThinc.

Is it possible AF could set up some kind of legal protection, whereby they could sue if journos do turn up? Maybe you could read out some kind of legal notice at the beginning ....

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 4 2011 13:40

Can't see a way to make it legally binding without making everyone attending sign a confidentiality agreement (and even then they'd argue public interest). The (completely toothless) PCC code of practice states that "If requested, they must identify themselves and whom they represent", so maybe announcing that 'we request any journalists present to identify themselves according to PCC guidelines' might flush a few out.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 4 2011 13:58

Yeah unfortunately that's beaten by this bit:

Quote:
Engaging in misrepresentation or subterfuge, including by agents or intermediaries, can generally be justified only in the public interest and then only when the material cannot be obtained by other means.

So making it clear you'll be barring them basically justifies them lying.

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 14:28

maybe just ask that they identify themselves then, so you don't get nasty surprises?

tbh those who read The Times are going to be dead set against anarchism anyway.

its funny that they called Network X a 'more extremist' group than AF, considering it is
a) probably less 'extremist' (its just an anti-cuts network!)
b) a network of which AF is a member.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 4 2011 14:27

i mean the best defence is: (a) don't say anything in a public meeting you wouldn't want appearing in a paper and (b) just get on with doing our thing. we're class struggle anarchists interested in workplace/community organisation, not riot fetishists or urban-guerilla fantasists. Chris Knight/Charlie Veitch/etc will always make a more sensationalist story.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Apr 4 2011 14:29
Quote:
its funny that they called Network X a 'more extremist' group than AF

Yeah that's cos they think Chris Knight (who wants the EAT THE RICH) is running it.

Harrison
Apr 4 2011 14:31
Joseph Kay wrote:
i mean the best defence is: (a) don't say anything in a public meeting you wouldn't want appearing in a paper and (b) just get on with doing our thing. we're class struggle anarchists interested in workplace/community organisation, not riot fetishists or urban-guerilla fantasists. Chris Knight/Charlie Veitch/etc will always make a more sensationalist story.

i completely concur. i think AF did quite well considering that the article couldn't even paint them as 'the people behind the black bloc' as they would have loved to.

rat's picture
rat
Apr 4 2011 16:19
Joseph Kay wrote:
just get on with doing our thing. we're class struggle anarchists interested in workplace/community organisation, not riot fetishists or urban-guerilla fantasists.

Excellently! You've hit the nail on the head.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 4 2011 19:18
blackrainbow wrote:
Just got this in my inbox
Quote:
Hello,

I am emailing from CNN in London and we are working on a report about the UK protest scene. I wondered if anyone from your group would be interested in talking to us on camera? I understand you may be reluctant to reveal your identity so we can film the interview anonymously if needed.

Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Dan Rivers,
Senior International Correspondent.

If you don't mind me asking, what group were CNN trying to contact? No worries if you don't want to mention things publicly.