Mayday and Anti-war Demonstrations

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
natkitson
Feb 19 2006 14:21
Mayday and Anti-war Demonstrations

DID YOU ATTEND MAYDAY 2001 OR THE ANTI WAR MARCH ON FEBRUARY 16TH 2003?

I am a final year student at Plymouth University and for my dissertation I am researching police methods when dealing with protests and demonstrations. If you attended either of these marches (or both) then I would like to hear from you! Here are some things I am trying to find out:

- How were you and your friends or companions treated by the police?

- How well do you think police and demonstrators co-operated at the event?

- Did you witness any arrests, injuries or confrontations during the event?

- What strategy do you think the police used to manage the demonstration?

- How would you describe the atmosphere of the event?

I would be very grateful for any feedback you can offer, based around these questions and any other comments you would like to make. You can give as much or as little detail as you like!

The Porkadian
Feb 19 2006 17:13

is it just me or do others feel the same , every now and again there is someone who joins the board wanting people to tell their story for research purposes , what the fuck are we dissetation guinea pigs for the student population, well heres mine, wasnt on any of the above, was probably lying in the street pissed, police tactics are to be the biggest cunts they can be, thats me done, hope it helped with the dissetation.

Lazlo_Woodbine
Feb 19 2006 17:40
natkitson wrote:

Yes.

Piss off, parasite.

The Porkadian
Feb 19 2006 18:48
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:

Piss off, parasite.

I agree wholeheartedly

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 19 2006 20:24
natkitson wrote:
How were you and your friends or companions treated by the police?

We were treated to ice-cream and waffles.

Quote:
How well do you think police and demonstrators co-operated at the event?

Well we managed to get a good human pyramid going before the policewomen went crazy with lust and tried to grab my manhood.

Quote:
Did you witness any arrests, injuries or confrontations during the event?

I scabbed my knee. sad

Quote:
What strategy do you think the police used to manage the demonstration?

Running around in circles flailing batons usually works, dunnit?

Quote:
How would you describe the atmosphere of the event?

79% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, 0.04% Carbon dioxide.

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 19 2006 20:44

I was just bored.

888's picture
Feb 19 2006 20:46
revol68 wrote:
why the fuck are youse being soo hostile to this person?

I mean atleast theya re honest about why they are here?

Or for all your talk about inclusion do you really just want anarchism to be for you and your tree higging activist wanker mates? (thats aimed at Lazlo btw).

Eh? In terms of hostility, your presencec on this site is one of its greatest liabilities. I'm sure it's put a lot of people off from using this site.

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 19 2006 20:50

I know it was completely deserved but didn't you call me a homophobic fucking wanker after my first post? Or was that Wayne? Or are you the same person?

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 19 2006 21:00
revol68 wrote:
Refused wrote:
I know it was completely deserved but didn't you call me a homophobic fucking wanker after my first post? Or was that Wayne? Or are you the same person?

no i think i defended you cos u were honest about it, took the slaggings on the chin and had a sense of humour.

Aye, it was Wayne. I just looked at the thread. Can't believe what a cunt I was. grin

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 19 2006 21:07
Quote:
You still never answered the question, this person came here and honestly stated their intentions only to be met by super militants accussing them of being a parasite cos they aren't in the scene, man.

Come off it revol, surely you dont think thats the reason the poster was treated with such hostility. Do we really need to contribute to some survey regarding the ability of the police to contain and regiment demonstrations and how their coercive duties could be better performed to the benefit of all those in attendance?!

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 19 2006 21:33

flattered mate but i never suggested that it was someone working for 'the man', anyway surely the student should know that the best way to approach these questions is to make the answers up yourself! If you want to contribute to a customer service survey regarding the efficency of the police, go for it instead of just blurting condescending bollocks at anyone that gets under your skin

cmdrdeathguts
Feb 20 2006 01:12
natkitson wrote:

i went to a march on Feb the 15th? is that what you mean?

Quote:
I am a final year student at Plymouth University

WOO! PLYMUFF!

Quote:
and for my dissertation I am researching police methods when dealing with protests and demonstrations. If you attended either of these marches (or both) then I would like to hear from you! Here are some things I am trying to find out:

- How were you and your friends or companions treated by the police? amicably.

- How well do you think police and demonstrators co-operated at the event? as far as i can tell, in a spirit of harmony. most of the coppers i saw just seemed pissed off that they weren't on the march. i mean, let's face it - it was hardly a haymarket riot, it was a perfectly respectable demonstration with 2nd world war vets and shit.

- Did you witness any arrests, injuries or confrontations during the event? none.

- What strategy do you think the police used to manage the demonstration? i would guess that they were prepared for violence, but not expecting it. i didn't see any full-on riot squads or anything.

- How would you describe the atmosphere of the event? optimistic (ha! see where that got us), non sectarian. a sense of shared purpose. people had driven from all over - i mean, me and my parents came up from

Quote:
PLYMUFF!

I would be very grateful for any feedback you can offer, based around these questions and any other comments you would like to make. You can give as much or as little detail as you like!

knightrose
Feb 20 2006 09:18

Yeah, I agree that the response has been pathetic- andmostly not from AF members. However, we do get loads of these requests and a lot of us don't feel we have the time to respond to them. To be honest, I think thew person asking the questions should explain a little about themselves before asking.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 20 2006 10:16

Methodology isn't very good.

Although academia is hindered by the fact that a lot of activists don't talk to people like this and don't get to put their side across.

Before you go nuts, I'm not saying academia has much influence, or that it has a right-wing bias. Just that official accounts tend to dominate any research. Having said that I'm reading a couple of interesting books about police actions, those guys were shockingly honest with the researchers, unless its all made up smile

Isn't Fatty at Plymouth? He could do a home visit and vouch for the guy. Or sit on him.

It looks to me like someone needs some info for a half-arsed paper and there doesn't seem much point to it but not much harm either.

VAM: in the current climate perhaps we should contribute to stuff like this. Try and limit the powers being dished out to the police.

ftony
Feb 20 2006 13:45

thank god some people are beginning to make sense on this thread.

for all we know this guy might be a really cool bloke, an honest and genuine anarchist or communist or whatever. Even if he is a right wing dipshit at least he's trying to get some sort of fairly balanced dataset

i mean, we're supposed to be kind, open, giving anarchists, some fucking mutual aid we're giving...

if the worst comes to the worst,

Quote:
It looks to me like someone needs some info for a half-arsed paper and there doesn't seem much point to it but not much harm either.

amen

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 20 2006 15:49
ftony wrote:
thank god some people are beginning to make sense on this thread.

Yeah - roll eyes at the anti-social tossers at the beginning

Quote:
for all we know this guy might be a really cool bloke

Or even might not be a "bloke" at all

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 20 2006 19:41

ok i may have been a little hasty, i blame revols siding with the initial poster for any unnecessary bias. I'm really not bothered either way and i can confirm that i'm not part of any 'scene'!

I actually did much of my dissertation research using what was then enrager to try to assertain anarchists interpretation and opinion of situationism wink

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 20 2006 21:52
Quote:
you did a dessertation on the situationists?

fuck i'm sure that was critical

i can happily admit that its some of the most glorified, sychophantic, activist bollocks ive ever read! But theres a lot of good intent in there.

rat's picture
rat
Feb 23 2006 13:48

Just wondering...

What’s the situation with anti-war demos this March?

Is there any planned in London and if so, will there be much of an anarcho-communist contingent?

I know that there’s a set of talks being arranged for the 16/17 of March at Conway Hall although I’ve no concrete details.

Dan.

red star

ftony
Feb 23 2006 14:06

yeah, there's one on march 18th. will probably be boring but i'll be going to show iff my new flagg i'm gonna make grin

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 23 2006 15:42
Vaneigemappreciationclub wrote:
Quote:
you did a dessertation on the situationists?

fuck i'm sure that was critical

i can happily admit that its some of the most glorified, sychophantic, activist bollocks ive ever read! But theres a lot of good intent in there.

You should've called them all imbeciles 8)

yippy
Apr 2 2006 08:23

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Apr 4 2006 19:23

from america by any chance?