DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Militant Anarchism

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
tar
May 5 2009 15:03
Militant Anarchism

I've recently been taking an interest in anarchist and anti-capitailist politics, and the more I read about it the more I am drawn to the ideologies. I've recently e-mailed the AF to join as a member, and would be looking to dedicate my time and recources to helping out in any way I can. I don't think there is much of an anarchist movement where I live though.
Anyway, I was wondering about militant anarchism. With the events of the police brutality at the g20 protests and the gradual loss of civil liberties we are contending with, I think it's time people took to the streets and took a robust stand against the oppressive regime we are being subjected to. Even though I have not been involved in any dissident political activity, I have still experienced disproportionate police harrassment in the way of stop & searches, etc.
So I was wondering if the AF mainly deal with the ideological side of things, or if there is any part of the movement concerned with direct militant action, protests, etc?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Skips
May 5 2009 15:32

There is loadsa stuff happening. When you join AF go to their meetings and ask them what you can do in your local area. I would warn you though we will background check the fuck outta you and if your a copper we will hang you =p

tar
May 5 2009 16:04

Don't worry im not a copper. Background check away! I even have a criminal conviction so if you could do one of those check thingies on me you'd get all the dirt!

Thanks for your reply. I'll wait for the e-mail response from the AF, then see how things go from there.
Any idea how long it takes them to get back to you?

Skips
May 5 2009 16:09

Not sure mate. Not a member, im sure it can't be too long, I was joking about the background check thing. =) solfed are also good for workplace action and the IWW union who aint officially anarchist but are full of the buggers.

tar
May 5 2009 16:25

Cool, cheers man. I'll check those out. I guessed you were joking about the background check thing, but you can never be too careful these days...

Are you involved in any kind of anarchist or anti-capitalist organisation yourself?

rat's picture
rat
May 6 2009 06:39

Hi tar,

I’m in the AF.
We are involved with both direct action activities and developing anarchist-communist ideas. If you’ve visited our website you’ll have seen Resistance, our monthly bulletin. But there are also lots of other pamphlets and texts available including Organise! our magazine.

There were plenty of AF militants on the recent G20 protests but we’ve also been involved in other demos and direct action around the UK.

Anyone joining the AF should go through our Aims & Principles listed under the Organisation tab on the website and consider those political ideas thoroughly

Someone will contact you soon — depending on which email you used.

For anacho-communism,

Daniel.

tar
May 6 2009 14:02

Thanks daniel. I'll have a read of the bulletins and magazine. I've already had a good read of the Aims & Principals and I have to say they make sense to me. The unjust and hypocritical nature of the capitalist NWO makes me almost feel physically sick at times, and if I can play and part in the resistance then im willing to commit 100%.
I'll check my e-mail and see if I've had a response yet.

Thanks again.

Farce's picture
Farce
May 6 2009 16:13

A few quick examples of the kind of direct actions AFers've been involved in:
Detaining the Immigration Minister in Manchester.

Blockading an ID card issuing centre in Sheffield

tar
May 8 2009 14:25

^^^Excellent!

I recevied some AF literature through the post this morning. Very swift. The main story on the copy of resistance was actually about a workplace takover in my home town! Maybe there is more going on locally than i thought. I'll have a good read through it all tonight. And think about some good places to put those stickers as well!

thanks again.

Skips
May 8 2009 14:28

good stuff. Enjoy.

tar
May 8 2009 15:11

cheers man!

cosh's picture
cosh
May 10 2009 07:29

You could do worse than join the IWW and help in the five year old international struggle to organise Starbucks. Grass roots direct action, store by store by store. I believe the British section calls its self 'baristas united' and aims to organise ALL baristas into the One Big Union. The CNT-AIT, in solidarity with the IWW, has been organising Starbucks in France and Spain. Go to: www.iww.org. This is the US site, and has links to sites in Britain and elsewhere. Also, www.starbucksunion.org. will give you information about the victories the union has won against this behemoth in the US. The CNT has photos and text in English on one of their sites.
Word has just come that an unaffiliated union in Chile has started organising Starbucks as well. This is truly an international social justice movement. You may be sure that other big box outfits like WalMart, McDonalds, etc are becoming alarmed at the success of the union. Put your effort where you will have an effect.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 10 2009 08:35
cosh wrote:
You may be sure that other big box outfits like WalMart, McDonalds, etc are becoming alarmed at the success of the union.

uh, right...

ExperimentalPsyche's picture
ExperimentalPsyche
Mar 14 2011 19:37

Being an anarchist has nothing to do with disliking police or having a criminal background. You are making it seem like anarchists are gang members. There are bad cops, yes. There are bad seeds in everything. But generalizing a population based on the minority is childish and unnecessary. Being an anarchist means you are suspicious of the government and it's breeding corruption and indoctrination of the positive outlook of a standardized monotonous America, with little actual regard for it's public's wants and needs. We also believe that the government is planning a lot of the tragedies that befall our nation in order to gain more control over the general populace i.e the 9/11 tragedy in connection with the Patriot Act signed on October 26, 2001. The Act dramatically reduced restrictions on law enforcement agencies' ability to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial, and other records. The government is also using Boeing to devise a supercomputer that will automatically read and record activity on social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook, and any "suspicious activity" will be logged and the user contacted or searched accordingly.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Mar 14 2011 20:23

"Being an anarchist has nothing to do with disliking the police"

I get were your coming from but i would find it really strange if I met somebody who called themselves a anrchist and didn't mind the police, they are a oppressive force after all neutral Being an anarchist doesn't mean your suspicious of government, being an anarchist means you seek to completely abolish government. When elections roll round I don't just stand around saying "this government business is a bit suspicious innit".

Oh, and by the way, not all anarchists live in America.

Battlescarred
Mar 15 2011 11:42

Oh, and no sane anarchist believes in the conspiraloon shit you come out with either.

Fish
Mar 22 2011 11:35

Ok, I have an "anarchist" friend who throws police in bins when they see them! Now, I'm not saying I love the police or anything but to me a human is a human being and I don't believe in just going around pushing police just because they wear a uniform . To me, that's not peaceful and it's discrimination. There are some awful police just as there are some awful people in general who are not in the police, but surely being violent towards someone who is walking down the street,no matter what their job is (we still do live in a capitalist society - they have to work, doesn't mean they agree with all the laws) and throwing them in bins is making a mockery of a true anarchist society? To me, it just screams that the "anarchist" wants to threaten and dictate to people... and that's not how I feel at all... so I suppose I'm saying, I would have classed myself as an anachist but with the strong views of my friend I am really not sure I can agree with such ideologies! Why put violence on them, why not just ignore them and their rules????

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Mar 22 2011 11:58

Your hypothetical situation is a bit ridiculous because it ignores the reasons anarchist dislike police, it's not some childish attitude problem, anarchists dislike police because they enforce the will of the state which is inherently oppressive and violent and unecessary.

I don't really know what you mean by saying "to me thats not peacful", theres nothing about anarchism that makes it a pacifist ideology, how individual anarchist approach the issue of violence will depend on their own beliefs concerning violence.

It may be discriminatory to treat police in this way, but it is a mistake to thnk that all discrimination is a inherently bad thing. So for example things like racial discrimination, were a person treats someone differently because of their ethnic background, is very different from treating a person differently because they have chosen to enforce oppressive laws using extreme violence and when it is clear that these kinds of authoritarian roles have a serious negative psychological effect on society in general but also those who work in these roles. It's not a case of some police being bastards but the entire idea of the police force is horrible.

For your final question the answer is really simple, the state is not a voluntary system. that means you can't choose to simply ignore it's rules. Thats the basis of all law.

Fish
Mar 22 2011 22:56

Ok, I think I am misunderstanding something. I thought "anarchism" did have a pacifist ideology? I found this:

Anarchism:
Political philosophy that society should have no government, laws, police, or other authority, but should be a free association of all its members. It does not mean ‘without order’, but believes that order can be achieved by cooperation. Anarchism is essentially a pacifist movement and should not be confused with nihilism (a purely negative and destructive activity directed against society).

Nihilism:
The rejection of all traditional values, authority, and institutions. The term was coined 1862 by Ivan Turgenev in his novel Fathers and Sons, and was adopted by the Nihilists, the Russian radicals of the period. Despairing of reform, they saw change as possible only through the destruction of morality, justice, marriage, property, and the idea of God.

radicalgraffiti
Mar 22 2011 23:45
Gemfish wrote:
Ok, I think I am misunderstanding something. I thought "anarchism" did have a pacifist ideology? I found this:

Anarchism:
Political philosophy that society should have no government, laws, police, or other authority, but should be a free association of all its members. It does not mean ‘without order’, but believes that order can be achieved by cooperation. Anarchism is essentially a pacifist movement and should not be confused with nihilism (a purely negative and destructive activity directed against society).

i don't know where you found that but its complete bollox
there is a decent summery of anarchist ideas here http://anarchism.pageabode.com/afaq/index.html