New Shirts

124 posts / 0 new
Last post
knightrose
May 29 2008 11:14

Actually, Alan, why do you accuse us of optimistic mathematics? In most of the northern cities we're pretty much the only show in town. (ducks for cover) The figures are accurate, after all we're a membership organisation, we have membership secretaries, local secretaries and so on. So, we know who is and who isn't a member!

Battlescarred
May 29 2008 11:42

Alan, have you actually met any AF members? We have a dozen members in London and only one by a stretch of the imagination could be called a punk (not thatI've got anything against anyone wanting to look like a punk, goth, skinhead or hippy, although I prefer the rockabilly look myself) And no, as Knightrose says, those figures have nothing to do with optimism, but a lot to do with accuracy. And yes, we are in the mid 90s.

nastyned
May 29 2008 12:00

To be fair to Alan the punk/hippy think has come up before. Who can forget this from 'World Revolution': "... we have no hesitation in denouncing the Anarchist Federation as a leftist parasitical appendage of the bourgeoisie masquerading as proletarians in the epoch of decadence. And they're all punks. Or hippies." wink

little_brother's picture
little_brother
May 29 2008 12:19
Quote:
leftist parasitical appendage of the bourgeoisie masquerading as proletarians in the epoch of decadence

Try putting that on a t-shirt...

nastyned
May 29 2008 13:08

What are you talking about?

nastyned
May 29 2008 13:12

Over rated if you ask me. What's the WSM's postion on that independent irish union BTW?

Battlescarred
May 29 2008 14:06

"90 members, all doing their own thing. Not much use imho."
Why do you say that, when you have no evidence whatsoever? The usual unnnecessary and totally gratuitous putdown. I suggest you refrain in future.

Refused's picture
Refused
May 29 2008 22:28

OR YOU'RE GONNA GET HURT.

Battlescarred
May 30 2008 12:31

So if you're from Newcastle how come we didn't see you at Projectile?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
May 30 2008 15:26
knightrose wrote:

holy dick it's me!

[weeler, valilla.ice.baby - knock that shit off ok? grin]

knightrose
May 30 2008 15:34

remember I was telling you about how you reminded me of a superhero when we were in Dublin smile

Tacks's picture
Tacks
May 30 2008 15:43

Oh! i thought you were just generally appraising my almost superhuman grasp of diplomacy and public relations! wink

ftony
May 30 2008 15:44
Tacks wrote:
knightrose wrote:

holy dick it's me!

[weeler, valilla.ice.baby - knock that shit off ok? grin]

can't be tacks - he doesn't have the chiselled, manly jaw and broad shoulders. and he's not an amputee.

Caiman del Barrio
May 30 2008 16:11
Battlescarred wrote:
Alan, have you actually met any AF members? We have a dozen members in London and only one by a stretch of the imagination could be called a punk (not thatI've got anything against anyone wanting to look like a punk, goth, skinhead or hippy, although I prefer the rockabilly look myself)

grin

Battlescarred, you've met me several times, mostly in a certain Wetherspoons in Greenwich. I always thought you had more of Cable St thing going on, sorry...

The comment was in reference to the picture from the demo. The London members I've met have been no more subcultural than anyone else. To be honest, there's more ways of burying yourself in a subculture than via music, I'd say some of the anorak shop talked on Libcom is far more corrosive than my collection of early 80s hardcore punk.

I'm honestly not interested in sniping or sectarianism here, so perhaps Knightrose can take back from his rather uncomradely comment about Solfed in the north. To be honest, I'm still unsure as to why there isn't more cooperation between AF and Solfed, especially in London.

knightrose
May 30 2008 16:32

I didn't mean anything uncomradely in what I said - in Manchester there's a Solfed group we get on well with. We marched together on that Mayday demo. The plan at the Manchester bookfair is to have a joint panel discussion (also with Class War and WSM).

The people in the picture are young, not subcultural. Just a different fashion sense, that's all. It's ironic though, a few years ago we were being slagged off for being a bunch of academic old farts who never got stuck into anything.

Caiman del Barrio
May 30 2008 16:34
knightrose wrote:
The plan at the Manchester bookfair is to have a joint panel discussion (also with Class War and WSM).

...in which you'll gleefully inform everyone else how AF is "the only show in town"?

knightrose
May 30 2008 16:51

No. I'll be non-sectarian and inclusive. There's a difference between comments on here and things said in public. My comment about "the only show in town" was about as sensible and tactful as yours about the AF being a bunch of punks and hippies. I probably wouldn't have made the comment if you'd not made yours. We worked hard to make that day a success. We had over 20 AF members on the demo. We'd worked hard making flags. We had a speaker at the end of it too. In fact the anarchists were the largest contingent on the march, at least 40 of us, probably almost a quarter of the demo. I actually don't seeing anything wrong in stating that if the AF hadn't put in the effort it wouldn't have happened.

Likewise on a demo late last year if Solfed hadn't done the same, then there would have been no significant anarchist presence on that one. And there would be nothing wrong in Solfed laying claim to that either.

Refused's picture
Refused
May 30 2008 17:09
Battlescarred wrote:
So if you're from Newcastle how come we didn't see you at Projectile?

Something came up. I wasn't around that weekend. I'm not 100% committed to the cause. Sometimes other things take precedence, and I'm not sorry about it.

Caiman del Barrio
May 30 2008 17:23

Actually Knightrose, you weren't referring to a demo in Manchester (where as you know there's a big Solfed presence), you were making a general sweeping comment about activity in the north:

knightrose wrote:
In most of the northern cities we're pretty much the only show in town.

...which to me read as a claim that AF have branches in every twohorse ex-mining town going. You don't, noone does. We're all fucked really...

It's good to hear you're in the mid 90s in terms of membership. I hope you're able to involve all those members in your activities, something Solfed's never managed.

knightrose
May 30 2008 17:25

Alan, tbh I was mostly making a snide comment. I did cos I felt pissed off after the slag off we got.

nastyned
May 30 2008 17:42
knightrose wrote:
We worked hard to make that day a success. We had over 20 AF members on the demo. We'd worked hard making flags. We had a speaker at the end of it too.

Surely as we're not a platformist organistion you mean: "20 AF members bumped into each other purely by chance as a demo happened to be passing by. Fortunately some scraps of cloth spontaneously attached themselves to poles which we could use as flags. We had a speaker at the end who randomly spoke about the first thing that came into his head". wink

Tacks's picture
Tacks
May 30 2008 17:48

[sits on hands]

knightrose
May 30 2008 18:11

It was the second thing that came into my head, actually

nastyned
May 30 2008 18:20

grin

Caiman del Barrio
May 31 2008 00:06
knightrose wrote:
Alan, tbh I was mostly making a snide comment. I did cos I felt pissed off after the slag off we got.

Yeah OK so you're "not the only show in town" in the north of England then, that's good.

knightrose
May 31 2008 08:21

But I still don't understand why you thought it was ok to take the piss out of us.

Refused's picture
Refused
May 31 2008 11:20

No-one takes the piss on Alan's watch. angry

katsigaros's picture
katsigaros
Jun 8 2008 18:49

Great Shirts!

ginger's picture
ginger
Jun 9 2008 00:05

Just how skinny is the "skinny lady fit"? (Being neither much of a lady, nor skinny, but in general in favour of the style rather than wearing a tent ...)

pgh2a
Jun 9 2008 04:25

I hope knightrose's kid is the one with decent footwear. If not, time to get your kid to the store.