Organising against the bnp

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
RednBlack's picture
RednBlack
Jun 19 2006 21:33
Organising against the bnp

red n black star We have some nazi standing in a local by-election...I have been involved in opposing them as they try to organise locally... mainly stickers / posters / lefletting... also going to be anti fash gathering at the election count on Thursday. I have posted threads to the north west forums and have had some people point out that a lot of this sort of stuff is "reactive" and therefore not productive... I'm guessing that certain comrades have had a very bad experience of UAF. I don't think however that the UAF being at the gathering should be a reason for us (Lancaster Anarchists) not to turn up.... My view is that as the bnp will be showing their ugly faces we should be there to oppose them.... Any thoughts on this from an AF perspective?

Solidarity.

nb xx

knightrose
Jun 20 2006 20:58

Speaking personally, I think we should consider why the fash are popular. The answer is, I reckon, because they've got the terrain to themselves. they appear to be an alternative to the corrupt parties in power, appear to offer something different. UAF simply say "these people are nasty, please don't vote for them", but it's their very nastiness that makes them popular. And who in their right minds wants to vote for the parties that have supervised the councils for so long.

I know this isn't very helpful when it comes to immediately fighting them. My view is that if they pose an immediate physical threat, then if you are able, deal with them as best you can. But in the long term,we need to be building a credible political alternative. not cheerleading for Labour and the Tories like UAF do.

RednBlack's picture
RednBlack
Jun 20 2006 22:37

red n black star Cheers - there was another reply to this post. Where did it go????

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Jun 22 2006 11:52

ignore the people who say antifascism is reactive, they are obviousl too busy starting an international social revolution every day, nay, every second of their lives to bother with small fry like fascism.

Hav you contacted the antfascists other than the UAF about this then? Is this posted on the antifascist board?

RednBlack's picture
RednBlack
Jun 22 2006 19:06

red n black star I have posted on the north west forum... but then got a bit of a negative response... the "reactive" stuff... and "maybe anarchists shouldn't be at election counts" etc... I kinda thought about posting it elsewhere... anti fash forum.. but got a bit thrown by the negative remarks....

We have raised the issue with others in Lancaster (non uaf) and we will be heading there soon. I don't expect anything from uaf... and I don't vote in council elections... but that's no reason not to turn up to opposse the fash with noise... and abuse... and any means necessary. I will post a report on the anti fash and north west forums.

Thanks for the comments from af friends. One thing that has come out of this is the need to organise a north west meeting to discuss long term anti fash work... I will be in touch with venues / date etc.

Thanks

Solidarity

xx nb circle A Mr. T red n black star

knightrose
Jun 23 2006 15:59

I've no probelm with you making a nuisance of yourselves - make the bastards suffer! But my post was meant to mostly focus on why the fash have got the terrain to themselves.

RednBlack's picture
RednBlack
Jun 24 2006 00:46

red n black star I think that is a vital question to ask. And I think you were right to point out how the bnp operate. We needed to mobilise against the specific issue of their presense yesterday - but more important is what we do now? In our own streets, in our communities, at work. We need to spread our own literature / leaflets / etc. Also social events... and, by no means least, direct action!

Solidarity,

n x

pepe carvalho's picture
pepe carvalho
Jul 22 2006 00:23

top username comrade Mr. T

damn i knew i should have squatted that name on here angry wink