DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Public Reactions to Prop on the 26th

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ellar's picture
Ellar
Mar 28 2011 20:48
Public Reactions to Prop on the 26th

Wondering how everbody in the radical workers bloc and militant bloc got and other anarchists got on with distribution of Prop on the 26th. What was the reaction like to the Newspapers and leaflets anyone show good interest.

I got a chance to hand out a bunch of the "everything we've won they wan't it back" leaflet/posters in trafalgar square and lots of people who weren't anarchists reacted really well to it and young people were especially interested in the anarchist literature. Handed one of the leaflets to a very posh lady and got to watch the look on her face as she opened it out to look at the poster, pricless.

I think theres a real spaces in the student anti-cuts movement for the spreading of anarchist idea's to a very large number of people.

Auto's picture
Auto
Mar 28 2011 20:58

We had a good time shifting Catalyst in our small group. We actually had a fair number of people come up to us and ask if they could take one even when we weren't actively handing them out.

One of the highlights of my day was the guy who took one, turned it round, and then was amazed at the fact it had a Sudoku in it.

Also the large banners were really good propaganda. People loved taking pictures of the North London one when we were standing at Hyde Park. Also a member of the public on Oxford St asked if he could take a pic of my lovely SolFed placard.

I definitely agree, there's a real space that's just waiting to be filled with regards to Anarchist ideas.

Battlescarred
Mar 28 2011 21:21

Got rid of about 4,000 (!) ( yes!) Everything We Won They want It back leaflet-posters plus about 400 Resistance and several hundred London AF leaflets on cuts on Saturday. Usually favourable, very few rejections. One woman from one of the Women's Blocs came up to us as said " I think you people are wonderful"
Concentrate on the propaganda and being involved locally in fighting the cuts, that will bring results.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Mar 28 2011 21:51

Report from a Liverpool SF comrade here.

Edit: soz, the penny just dropped that 'prop' refers to propaganda and that report is about the day more generally. Long day at work...

Incubus's picture
Incubus
Mar 28 2011 22:47

The only hand outs I was offered were the @feds poster/leaflet, a bustcard, a UKUncut card and an indymedia info flyer...

Autonomous and libertarian stuff predominated, no trot shit to rubbish-up my pockets!

Harrison
Mar 31 2011 17:52
Ellar wrote:
I think theres a real spaces in the student anti-cuts movement for the spreading of anarchist idea's to a very large number of people.

absolutely. i wish i'd had anarchist prop to distribute to fellow college students on the fees/EMA demos

axiom
Mar 31 2011 22:11

There are so many ways to get over ideas, demands, theories, experiences and histories with publications.
I liked the AF's leaflet which folded out to become a poster.
On March the 26th a woman came up to a few of us standing about with a black flag and asked for the leaflet. She thought it was excellent.

Emile Pouget published a magazine called Le Père Peinard and on some anniversaries such as that of the Commune, it contained a pull out poster.

What other experiences do people have of ingenious publications, banners and flags etc?

Harrison
Apr 1 2011 09:51
axiom wrote:
What other experiences do people have of ingenious publications, banners and flags etc?

i liked DSG's stuff. i think they are art students or something.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 1 2011 19:10

Ah! I saw that "You disgust us" one on the march and was impressed. I was wondering who was behind it.

Jason Cortez
Apr 1 2011 19:21

My children were handing SLSF leaflets to folks as the Radical workers bloc (and later joined with the Militant Workers Bloc) went by and people were coming up to them asking for copies so I would say a pretty good response. Still more people should have be doing it, as it makes our actions understandable.

Harrison
Apr 1 2011 22:26

deleted