DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Religion in the Aims & Principles

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmalice
Nov 20 2009 21:57
Religion in the Aims & Principles

I have recently found out about this cause and was eager to learn more and am considering joining. However, I was reading the aims and principles and right at the bottom saw this:

10 We oppose organised religion and religious belief(s).

It seems very vauge... Is it just organised religion or any religion at all? I have been an anarcho-christian for the past few years (having converted from C.of.E) and thought this strange. Since anarcho-christianity isn't an organised religion, is it allowed or not? If it is not, then why not? Is it really that terrible to believe in a higher power? I understand the adversion to organised religion, but non-organised religion?

Yorkie Bar
Nov 20 2009 22:03

Here we go again...

jmalice
Nov 20 2009 22:08
BigLittleJ wrote:
Here we go again...

Hey I'm not attacking. I'm asking a genuine question. All you have to do is answer or if the issue has already been covered, give me a link to the thread. I'm not going to start spewing religious retribution at you for not liking religion. It's a life choice, I just want to know where I stand.

Yorkie Bar
Nov 20 2009 22:36

I'm sure you are asking a genuine question, it's just that this thread has been done and done and done so much that it's practically an institution round here. If you want to recap some of our past efforts try here, here, here, here and here.

tldr? The AF's theory and practice is rooted in a materialist worldview. Such a worldview precludes the existence of magic, gods, spirits and suchlike. As such, people with religious views are not welcome. Them's the rules.

~J

playinghob's picture
playinghob
Nov 20 2009 22:43

Is recognising a godhead (a basic premise of christian/religious belief) not the recognising/acknowledgement of an ultimate superior being/authority? If so, is this not contrary to anarchism/communism. Like no god, no master?

jmalice
Nov 20 2009 22:46
BigLittleJ wrote:
I'm sure you are asking a genuine question, it's just that this thread has been done and done and done so much that it's practically an institution round here. If you want to recap some of our past efforts try here, here, here, here and here.

tldr? The AF's theory and practice is rooted in a materialist worldview. Such a worldview precludes the existence of magic, gods, spirits and suchlike. As such, people with religious views are not welcome. Them's the rules.

~J

Thank you. I've gone through the old threads and now understand your objection. I offer you and your federation, the best of luck. I still don't see how an Anarchist federation can justify setting up rules for admission, but it isn't my problem, so I wont seek to start an argument over it.

Yorkie Bar
Nov 20 2009 22:55
Quote:
Thank you. I've gone through the old threads and now understand your objection. I offer you and your federation, the best of luck.

Not my fed mate, I'm unaffiliated.

Quote:
I still don't see how an Anarchist federation can justify setting up rules for admission, but it isn't my problem, so I wont seek to start an argument over it.

In that case, the AF definitely isn't for you. As an aside, I'm absolutely fucking amazed that you don't think freedom of association is compatible with anarchist federalism - I should have thought it was its basic principle.

~J.

petey
Nov 20 2009 23:15
jmalice wrote:
I still don't see how an Anarchist federation can justify setting up rules for admission.

i'm not a member of AF, am probably not an anarchist, but your confusion may be based on the silly/popular idea of anarchism as a "chaos" philosophy. surely the AF site will clarify that.

Yorkie Bar
Nov 20 2009 23:22

Actually I'm pretty sure it was just a stroppy throw-away comment brought on by not being allowed to play with the big boys; I notice he didn't have any issues with there being rules for membership until it turned out they applied to him.

~J.

madashell's picture
madashell
Nov 21 2009 03:49

jmalice, not sure if you're likely to come back and read this thread, but basically, the AF is a political organisation, as such we have political criteria for membership. Otherwise we'd be an apolitical club for people who all use the same label for a variety of completely different sets of ideas.

Anyway, I don't get why the anarcho-Christians don't set up their own fed, if so many of them are keen on joining one. Or would that make them an organised religion?