What can I expect as a new member of afed and where do I find out.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
julian shepherd
Jun 6 2013 22:35
What can I expect as a new member of afed and where do I find out.

I have been in afed for over a year and have just found out that I should have asked for minutes of conferences, I have no minutes of the local meetings I cannot attend {Saturdays are difficult for me} and when I do no delegates report verbal or written are given. This is quite a surprise to me but I have been off the scene for about 18 years being ill and seem to be way out of touch with current practice. Is there an intrductory guide to how an afed group is supposed to run and if not can someone take the time to put one together.

Tsanuri
Jun 7 2013 10:54

Hi Julian,

I'm assisting with membership secretary duties atm and while I dont have access to the membership list to resolve this here & now I'd love to help. Your local group will need to discuss their meeting/contact practices, so drop them a line on groupname@afed.org.uk to arrange that. The group and the regional liason officer should be able to work with you to ensure you stay connected to any fed activities, local or national.

On a federation level there is no need to request any conference or delegate meeting minutes as they should be sent to every group sec (though I understand there has been a breakdown in comms there), they are sent on the national mailing list, and they are archived in our forums. Drop us a line on membership@afed.org.uk if you don't have access to those and we can look into it from there.

Hope that helps,
T.

julian shepherd
Jun 7 2013 17:47

And is there a set of guidelines for a new group on how to operate. Maybe a tick list of what's expected and tips on what works.. Not to long so it does not get ignored in the excitement of a new group.. Might prevent another Brighton shambles and there is no point in reinventing the wheel anew each time.

julian shepherd
Jun 7 2013 17:48

Thanks btw.

Tsanuri
Jun 8 2013 12:05

No worries,

I've had a chat with peeps from your closest group and they confirmed you have been in contact with them. If you are having any other issues then drop the membership address an email and myself or the others on the MemSec team will be in touch. We can also put you in touch with your regional internal liaison officer as part of their role is to ensure members are kept in regular contact with one another and ensure you have good access to our decision-making process.

Once you are on the mailing list or the message boards, or we can resolve some of the contact issues, you will find that there has been a working group looking at creating an updated pre-membership book / membership book / Guide to the AF in time for our the upcoming conference. I'm involved with this and it would be great to get your input/feedback.

Hope to talk soon,
T.