DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Would you view me as an anarchist?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fish
Mar 21 2011 14:36
Would you view me as an anarchist?

I am interested in how you would view me. I would say I am really opposed to the hierachy system - completely. It bugs me that people think they can dictate how I should and shouldn't think and the legal system here in UK REALLY gets on my nerves. I hate war and I am really opposed to violence! However, in the society we live in at the moment I do actually need to work to get a house, eat etc. I work a lot but am trying to cut down my hours dramatically. I am fortunate that I am in a job that is my passion and I love dearly. I work in communities teaching dance and fitness. The sad thing is that I have to charge in order to cover hall hire, muisc licenses, insurances etc. I am the cheapest instructor in the area and probably the most "qualified". I am lucky that my classes attract hundreds (literally) of people but I hate having to charge. I do some work voluntarily but without charging some of the time I would not have a home etc and would not be able to "trade" as I wouldn't have relevant licenses. I am now employing (well not exactly employing, but contracting in others to take on some of the work from me so I am not working 7 days a week and 10 hours days) because it's so tiring for me even though I love it. I pay these workers a wage as I still retain some money for myself as I have to cover hall costs, advertising etc still and ultimately the responsibility is still mine and if the instructor cannot make a class one week, I have to find another instructor or do it myself. The instructors are free to conduct the class, however, in whichever way they choose. I do however pay very well (more than private gyms) and the more people they have in a class, the more money they get! I would say I am bordering on anarchism myself but curious to see how other anarchists view my way of life really.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 21 2011 18:29

Hi, welcome to libcom.

Anarchism is a political philosophy, a set of ideas, so if you are an anarchist in that instead of a capitalist society you want a libertarian communist society based on solidarity and mutual aid then you are an anarchist.

It doesn't have anything to do with how you act in your personal life.

Of course, anarchists are opposed to wage labour, but at the moment we live in a capitalist society so wage labour is a fact of that.

As for the ethics of what you do, I would think that if you make a profit from the labour of your workers, on top of covering your expenses, then you are exploiting them. But that is a different question. Of course though what we want to do away with is the entire system of exploitation - and whether you personally exploit your workers or not won't affect that.

crwydryny
Apr 15 2011 11:41
Fish wrote:
I am fortunate that I am in a job that is my passion and I love dearly. I work in communities teaching dance and fitness. The sad thing is that I have to charge in order to cover hall hire, muisc licenses, insurances etc.

I know how you feel. I'm an artist and I hate having to charge for any work I do. normally I ask the person buying the art to offer a price.

as for being an anarchist. generally speaking as the person above me stated it comes down to what you believe. though in my oppinion how you act also has some baring in that as you can say what you want in regards to beliefs unless you practice them then it's just words.

Picket's picture
Picket
May 9 2011 15:04

Pointless post therefore I've deleted it in case it wastes anyone's time.

RedEd's picture
RedEd
May 21 2011 15:23

You sound like a nice person and seem to have some libertarian ideas. However, anarchists have generally seen class as a key part in hierarchy and exploitation. It seems your class position is that of an employer (or to use Marxist jargon, you'd probably be classed as petite-bourgeois). Here's an article that introduces what most people here think of when they talk about class: http://libcom.org/library/class-class-struggle-introduction

None of which stops you being an anarchist in as much as 'being an anarchist' simply means believing anarchist ideas to be correct, but it may be something to think about.