Anti-fascist blockade - Magdeburg - 17/01/15

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Oct 6 2014 09:18
Anti-fascist blockade - Magdeburg - 17/01/15

Call out for the Magdeburg Nazi-Free blockade, one of the largest anti-fascist actions in Europe, coming up in January 2015.

Footage from earlier this year:

The call out in full:

More than thousand Nazis the way start every year in January to Magdeburg to march together with her local companions on the occasion of the bombardment of Magdeburg on the 16.01.1945. Besides, it is consciously denied what is known adequately: only the bombardment of German armament companies in January, ’45 led to the final production stop in war weapons. Magdeburg was one of the most important armament locations for the Hitler’s dictatorship. The bombardment of weapon production plants important to war like in Dessau, Dresden and Magdeburg accelerated the beginning from the end of the Second World War and the destruction of the fascistic Hitler’s regime.

The Nazis will take the 70th anniversary of the bombardment of Magdeburg presumably to the occasion to outbid the marchings up of the last years organizationally and personnel. Started with eight Nazis as a participant in the urban commemorative rally in 1998, the number of the participant in the January marching up increased during the past years on more than 1,000. Since 2001 the Nazis march all around 16th of January by Magdeburg. In 2005 one has succeeded first and for the last time in stopping the marching up.

Neo-fascists from Magdeburg and Saxony-Anhalt take important positions in the boards of directors of the NPD, the JN and the so-called “free comradeships”. With the foundation of a circle federation of the neo-Nazi’s party „The rights“ in the Jerichower country should be tried obviously to strengthen the weak structures of the neo-Nazis in the region. In the protection of the party the fascists can spread her nationalistic ideologies and operate on this way formally legally. Moreover, is to be calculated on the fact that the party will further grow in Saxony-Anhalt, because neo-Nazis also aim at own local association in Magdeburg.

The alliance “Magdeburg Freely of Nazi“ has been based on the 31.05.2012 in Magdeburg. As spectra general blockade alliance in Magdeburg it organises blockades against the marching up of the Nazis. In January, 2015 the necessary structures are put for actions. With our engagement and your support the protest culture was changed in the years before in Magdeburg with lasting effect. Blockades as an action form are no more absolute NoGo with protest-active. After the first blockade attempts in January, 2013 we had to recognise that it requires in Magdeburg of another strategy. Then in 2014 we placed on a decentralised action and registered with it the first partial successes. We stick to this strategy and will further develop them.

The disinformation of politics and the by police and the German railways supported mobility of the neo-Nazis also require a nationwide mobilisation to bring enough people in Magdeburg on the streets in 2015. The political will to let this marching up take place again this year could not be broken up or bended by now.

Hence, it is to be calculated on the fact that the Nazis will be directed to the other end of the town to do their march where they can be hardly blocked. According their latest statements, the Magdeburg city administration can do nothing against the neo-Nazi march. The responsible authority is the police in Saxony-Anhalt. The fact that the mayor of the capital holds ignorance for a strategy against Nazi marchings up, he confirmed on a public event at the university in Magdeburg: “[...] that is the actual goal. They want to get into the open with their acts und their acts are supported and multiplied in public by media. If there were no reports on the news about them, which was my original thought for about two years – just ignore them and if no one reports about them on the news, it’ll just run itself dead. Which again isn’t working, because there is always someone to report on them…”. Last year the neo-Nazi march could be splitted with decentralised protests and be shifted timewise around some hours to the back, because the journey ways of the Nazis could be blocked temporarily. Supports us and comes to Magdeburg. We want, prevent together with all forces from here and everywhere, the marching up of the neo-Nazis and put with it own statement against person-despising settings and neonazi tables to politics.

More details: http://magdeburg-nazifrei.com/?page_id=2945

Caiman del Barrio
Offline
Joined: 28-09-04
Oct 6 2014 14:44

This video is shit: the 'techno' sounds like it was played by a 5 year old on a Casio with a half-eaten chicken drumstick, while, despite its chest-pounding boasting, not one fascist is present in the video. In fact, most of the 'fights', as much as they are, are between police and floppy-haired punks.

I don't really understand how this is any different to summit-hopping.

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Offline
Joined: 4-11-11
Nov 14 2014 12:17
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
I don't really understand how this is any different to summit-hopping.

Yes, this may appear not much different from the usual activisty stuff, but in the context of the rise of a new far-right, embodied in HoGeSa or the softer AFD variety, it may be a heavily symbolic occasion if this date is as important as it sounds (I can't really say).

Especially so since most of the big 'official' Antifa groups have split up and joined the broader 'radical' left organizations (which, as far as I can see, are mostly shit). In other words, the German extraparliamentary left is weaker than ever, while the far-right appears to gain momentum (and thinking of the NSU murders, the state likes to pull the strings too). It's fucked up, really, and it doesn't help that reactionary ideas like 'benefit scrounger tourism' (aka 'foreigners come here to laze around and get money for doing nothing') are so wide-spread.

This doesn't mean none of the usual criticisms of anti-fascism apply, however. There's boatloads to say about it, especially about German anti-fascism which, apart from the black bloc, has evolved into a family-friendly, we-have-no-idea-where-it-comes-from flag-waving calling-for-tolerance stew of hippies and suit-wearing union and city officials.

Sorry if the rant appears incoherent. tl;dr is, Germany has a new (?) problem with the far-right. But maybe my hope is misplaced.

meinberg
Offline
Joined: 12-10-11
Nov 18 2014 14:08
Railyon wrote:
Yes, this may appear not much different from the usual activisty stuff, but in the context of the rise of a new far-right, embodied in HoGeSa or the softer AFD variety, it may be [...] as important as it sounds [...] the German extraparliamentary left is weaker than ever, while the far-right appears to gain momentum (and thinking of the NSU murders, the state likes to pull the strings too). It's fucked up, really, and it doesn't help that reactionary ideas like 'benefit scrounger tourism' [...] are so wide-spread.

This doesn't mean none of the usual criticisms of anti-fascism apply, however. There's boatloads to say about it, especially about German anti-fascism which, apart from the black bloc, has evolved into a family-friendly, we-have-no-idea-where-it-comes-from flag-waving calling-for-tolerance stew of hippies and suit-wearing union and city officials.

I don't have much hope that those antifascist mobilizations will change anything, especially because the different Antifa groups did not develop an new radical analysis in this times of crisis. And As you wrote the German radical left is really weak. I'm surprised, that you take the black block out of your criticism. politically there is no real difference between the black block and the politics of the other antifascist groups, it is just one of the different means to build big campaigns to fight together with the "civil society" against the far right. this is really problematic because the ruling political parties like the greens and the social democrats with all their racist law and order politics are part of the local alliance against the bigger evil. This article by wildcat tries to contrast the ruling German politics, the development of the far right and of the antifascist left, to try to explain the murders the murders of the NSU and the failure of the left:

http://viewpointmag.com/2014/09/11/the-deep-state-germany-immigration-an...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Nov 19 2014 11:31
Caiman del Barrio wrote:

I don't really understand how this is any different to summit-hopping.

I don't think it is. Obviously if people want to do it for fun like some sort of extreme sport then go for it, but I wouldn't think of it as anything more than that

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Offline
Joined: 4-11-11
Nov 19 2014 12:56
meinberg wrote:
I'm surprised, that you take the black block out of your criticism. politically there is no real difference between the black block and the politics of the other antifascist groups, it is just one of the different means to build big campaigns to fight together with the "civil society" against the far right. this is really problematic because the ruling political parties like the greens and the social democrats with all their racist law and order politics are part of the local alliance against the bigger evil.

I see this point, black bloc antifa = bourgeois "anti"fascism, raised a lot by German groups like Gegenstandpunkt and others. To a large degree I agree, but I don't think it's as clear-cut. It may be a regional phenomenon, but where I live, antifas don't want to "protect democracy from fascists" but employ anticapitalist analysis not too dissimilar to their mentioned critics. Thus it appears to me like one giant strawman because antifas are usually also sworn enemies of the SPD and the Greens... From the May 1st demos I attended (which is also a date Nazis like to take their marching boots out of the closet), there was basically no overlapping of the two groups, antifa and the "bunt statt braun" racket, in both actions and rhetoric. If anything, the former were highly critical of the latter, pointing out their inability to see where fascism comes from and how it is actually not that much different in content from all the other bourgeois flavors.

I remember reading one transcript of a 'proper Marxist' speech by a local mini-group at a rally 2 years ago. They were basically saying how wrong the hosts of the event (antifa) are and how capitalism should actually be critiqued. While reading it, I was thinking to myself: "Duh, that's what they are saying but dressed in less self-important jargon".

What I'm basically saying is that antifa, as far as I have seen, have moved in the right direction - one could actually see the dissolution of major antifa groups as a logical consequence to this.

meinberg
Offline
Joined: 12-10-11
Nov 19 2014 14:25
Railyon wrote:
I see this point, black bloc antifa = bourgeois "anti"fascism, raised a lot by German groups like Gegenstandpunkt and others. To a large degree I agree, but I don't think it's as clear-cut. It may be a regional phenomenon, but where I live, antifas don't want to "protect democracy from fascists" but employ anticapitalist analysis not too dissimilar to their mentioned critics. Thus it appears to me like one giant strawman because antifas are usually also sworn enemies of the SPD and the Greens... [...]

What I'm basically saying is that antifa, as far as I have seen, have moved in the right direction - one could actually see the dissolution of major antifa groups as a logical consequence to this.

Maybe I misunderstood your last post: I did not want to make that equitation! I only spoke about antifa groups, who place themselves in the radical left. I don't think that there exist other noteworthy antifa groups (exept you can count the Jusos, Falken, Naturfreunde, Grüne Jugend groups). And at least where I live the build alliances with the SPD and the Greens. Two examples: the antifascist blockade alliances in Dortmund (BlockaDo) and Wuppertal(I forgot the name). And a lot of their power goes into working with the communal politics. I don't want to say they are all bad people with shitty politics (though a lot of them are!). Some have ok anticapitalist positions and came over the still dominant "antigerman" tendency. But it doesn't show in their politics as antifa groups either they act alone with "black bloc" strategies, with which who can't engage as an outsider, or they act in these alliances where they talk as concerned citizen.

Another point: for me the self criticism of the failure of the Antifa at the time of the NSU murders, that the failure shows that even antifascist people are racist, is an easy way out of a real criticism of the dominant antifascist politics of that time: where i live (and i think, that true for most of western Germany) that was the high point of the antigerman movement. an a lot of people thought because of that political decision, that those turks are all fundamentalist antisemites, who kill each other all the time. But the political dimension of the antifascist racism afik does not play any role in the self criticism.