Boulcolonialboy is leaving libcom

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deezer
Sep 8 2008 21:56
Boulcolonialboy is leaving libcom

Hey, its been interesting and good while it lasted but I am leaving the libcom discussion forums. I'll continue to use the website and upload stuff when I have time but basically the forums have gone to the fuckin dogs lately.

Of course there are probably those who will blame revol68 on that but thats shite. There is just an amazing amount of crap on here that should have been deleted as close to as soon as it was posted as possible. There is also shit being posted on here that should get some people a kicking.
Really folks sort the admin or close the forums - its got that fucking bad.

Again thanks for the last few years.

Bobby
Sep 8 2008 22:35

sad days sad

jesus, i didnt see this one coming....

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 8 2008 22:56

us admins have been too busy to run around cleaning up after people. Most of the people who post here should be old enough to have a discussion without being an arsehole.

I just had a quick look in libcommunity and a lot of it looks at the train wreck. But I haven't got time to go through all of it.

If someone wants to post up links to threads which just shouldn't be here we can work through his delete the whole fucking things.

Meanwhile everyone else can try to act in their fucking age

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Sep 8 2008 23:26

Boul is right - the cretinous rubbish that makes up the majority of the forums would be cretinous rubbish wherever it was posted. The admins have always, IMO, shied away from dealing with this crap adequately. Not having time is only an excuse for those who always failed to deal decisively with things and allowed personal connections and fear of seeming 'authoritarian' to get in the way of just banning well-acquainted arseholes. And no, I'm not particularly referring to revol, who, even when unnecessarily abusive (comparatively rarely nowadays) usually has an intelligent point to make.
The libcommunity playpen ethos/attitude spills over to the rest of the site. Said all this before, it's boring, blah blah. Man, if you can't even deal with sorting these forums - libcom being a fine resource, in other aspects, that you've created - then forget developing the ability for decisive acts in the real class struggle. That's rude/unfair, but there's a certain truth to it. Stop being so fucking accomodating and nice and letting egoists turn your potentially fine resource into an embarrassment. If you quickly banned persistently abusive posters for progressively longer periods you'd have far less work to do than now in cleaning up the shit they leave around. As it is, you're losing the participation of many/most good posters and the forums just get worse.

I suggest closing the forums for a while and starting again from scratch with a new tougher code of behaviour.

And good for Boul for saying why he's leaving.

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 9 2008 00:02

Haven't really had a chance to check anything other than News in the last 3 months or so, so I'm not entirely sure what Boul's referring to...

Last time I checked Libcommunity it basically read like a transcript of various people's MSN convos, which, while dull, is hardly damaging British anarchism...

Refused's picture
Refused
Sep 9 2008 00:26

Someone actually has suggested that, actually, just not on this thread on or this particular forum.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Sep 9 2008 05:16

Close Libcommunity?

Devrim

john
Sep 9 2008 09:04

It would help if boulcolonialboy could be more clear about what type of posts he objects to.

But, personally, I agree that libcommunity is boring and spills over into the rest of the forums.

also, 'tracker' used to ignore libcommunity, but for some reason it doesn't anymore, so you can't filter it out so easily. is it possible to undo that change?

cantdocartwheels's picture
cantdocartwheels
Sep 9 2008 09:35

Perhaps just just have libcommunity hosted on an external forum with a link, rather than having it directly visible from the main site, Its a fair point though, the quality of debate on the main forums isnt what it was, and while the ICC with their rather dull repetetive rants on the same subjects over and over again are no doubt not helping matters, its not fair to entirely blame them.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Sep 9 2008 09:55

Just cut it out of tracker and put a note on the forum link, then if people don't want to check it they don't have to.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Sep 9 2008 11:26

Ah so i thought i'd just popped in at a bad moment!

Yeah I dont see any reason for libcommunity to be in the tracker. I'd also drop it down along with bin into its own category at the bottom of the page.

Also maybe I'd suggest switching the forum index so it didnt display any different sub boards.

More in a couple of months wink

Mike Harman
Sep 9 2008 13:07

I don't read libcommunity (and have been busier than usual so not keeping up with much else either tbh). I agree it's a pile of shit and would be happy to remove it and then ban anyone who overspilled.

Ret, you know you can delete stuff right? You can probably ban people too iirc. Boul, we could probably give you rights to do that as well.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to shutting down libcommunity entirely, but I'd also be concerned about the rest of the forums getting even more infected than they are now.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Sep 9 2008 13:16

Yeah you have to have somewhere like libcommunity otherwise it just spills out.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Sep 9 2008 13:20

It’s pretty much got more posts in it than the rest of the libcom forums combined, you cannot unleash this tide of idiocy onto the unsuspecting theory and news forums!

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Sep 9 2008 13:20

+ I would make libcommunity and bin only viewable by registered users and consider making libcommunity accessible only after a certain number of posts.

+ I would set it to prune auto after 30 days or something.

john
Sep 9 2008 13:30

don't need to close it down - just take it out of tracker

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Sep 9 2008 13:33
Quote:
+ I would set it to prune auto after 30 days or something.

Hmm bit brief, I sometimes check back a while for stuff - maybe six months?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 13:52
rakan wrote:
Ah so i thought i'd just popped in at a bad moment!

Yeah I dont see any reason for libcommunity to be in the tracker. I'd also drop it down along with bin into its own category at the bottom of the page.

Also maybe I'd suggest switching the forum index so it didnt display any different sub boards.

More in a couple of months ;)

Well there was a thread in feedback on all this a few months ago and I was one the people who supported Libcommunity being removed from the 'tracker', even though i post on it a shitload.

Do people realise they can use a tab in 'tracker' that cuts out libcommunity anyway?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 13:54
Jack wrote:
Or not at all.

Registered users and no tracker is plenty enough.

yes
while it's daft, people need to stop being fucking mental about it

the knee-jerk scare shite is a bad as the twats who can't do irony without being arseholes

john
Sep 9 2008 14:04
xConorx wrote:

Do people realise they can use a tab in 'tracker' that cuts out libcommunity anyway?

no, I didn't realize that - can you tell us how?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 14:10

yep if you go into tracker, just use the 3rd tab 'recent forum posts' instead of 'all posts' - that cuts out all the shite in libcommunity
again, there has alrteady been a thread on all this stuff from february

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 9 2008 14:21

I think Ret Marut has made some valid points, although I don't think the forums should be closed.

It is rather worrying that libcommunity gets more posts than all the other forums. Is libcom a social networking site or a political discussion forum? I've got nothing against a bit of banter, but the sheer amount of crap in libcommunity is simply ridiculous and some of it is positively juvenile and devalues what libcom is trying to achieve. And I do sometimes wonder how people find the time!

I don't think libcommunity should be closed - but I do think people ought to think a bit more carefully about what they put into it. Libcom is a valuable resource and I think there are still some good discussions on the forums, although I'm sure others may think I'm one of those guilty of "dull, repetitive rants"! What I find annoying is when a relatively serious discussion gets derailed by a whole series of stupid posts.

I don't think there should be any deletion or pruning of the serious discussions. However, libcommunity could be periodically purged with no great loss to humanity. However, at bare minimum, it should be removed from the tracker and be inaccessible to non-registered users.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 14:27

Seriously, I was one of the people to ask for libcommunity to be removed from the tracker 7 months ago, so people should dry their eyes and wise the fuck up
yeah yeah some people were idiots and took stuff too far, yeah yeah YOU find it boring
post something interesting then and stop being earnest bores

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Sep 9 2008 14:27
Quote:
It is rather worrying that libcommunity gets more posts than all the other forums. Is libcom a social networking site or a political discussion forum?

What's wrong with it being both? Thing is as much as I agree you get some inane rubbish on libcommunity, you also get some funny stuff, which - and I'm only speaking for myself here - helps keep me interested enough to stick around for the heavy shit. Personally i like having a section where it isn't just politics all the time, and most of the successful boards will have a section, which is usually the most popular one, which is just people pissing about. There's nothing particularly unhealthy about that. The only problem is if people who come on for the first time end up there first and get the impression that libcom is all about that kind of stuff. which is why the sensible thing is just to take it off tracker or swap it so it's on a separate tab or something, and yeah maybe have it as registered-only viewing.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Sep 9 2008 14:29
revol68 wrote:
also it's not just libcommunity that's full of utter shite, the wobblie threads have been a joke for months now, filled with personal dramas, claims and counter claims of corruption and stalking.

libcom wobblies is no more, largely for this reason.

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 9 2008 14:30
Quote:
Do you have a computer at work? Do you hate being productive? Bing.

I do most of my posting from work. I still manage not to fill the site with more crap than you'll find in the British sewage system. And this is the point. Is libcom just a hobby for bored office workers like Facebook or is it a political discussion site?

Mike Harman
Sep 9 2008 14:36

Taking libcommunity out of the tracker is pretty easy (I think rkn might do it today, or if not I might try). Hiding it from anonymous users is a bit harder, will work on that after the site's upgraded.

Sticking in it in it's own section down the bottom next to the bin, +1.

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 9 2008 14:40
Quote:
What's wrong with it being both?

Nothing, in principle, but when the "social" side starts to interfere with what I think is the site's real purpose, then there's a problem. Clearly some people feel that is the case.

Quote:
Thing is as much as I agree you get some inane rubbish on libcommunity, you also get some funny stuff, which - and I'm only speaking for myself here - helps keep me interested enough to stick around for the heavy shit.

As I said, I'm not against banter. What is worrying is when the site feels submerged by it - apparently the situation is bad enough that people feel they have to leave.

Quote:
Personally i like having a section where it isn't just politics all the time, and most of the successful boards will have a section, which is usually the most popular one, which is just people pissing about. There's nothing particularly unhealthy about that.

Again, i'm not against that in principle but there is, quite frankly, a lot of stuff in there which simply shouldn't be on a site like this and devalues the real purpose of the site. Some of the threads are very dense and sometimes a lighter approach can help (one of Dave B's posts on the value thread recently made me laugh out loud) but that's not the same as threads being derailed.

Quote:
The only problem is if people who come on for the first time end up there first and get the impression that libcom is all about that kind of stuff. which is why the sensible thing is just to take it off tracker or swap it so it's on a separate tab or something, and yeah maybe have it as registered-only viewing.

This is the most important issue. I'm horrified at the thought of people coming to the site with a casual interest in anarchism and seeing the thread about the "pregnant man". Whatever your individual views about the issue, the manner in which it was discussed was simply awful.

john
Sep 9 2008 14:40
weeler wrote:

Can't be both? Let it be a strictly political discussion site but don't expect much more than the dregs of left communism, a handful of iwa and some south-eastern england communists to post. Seriously.

no, I don't think they'll post - they're already busy posting on a different website

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 14:44

I'd agree there is the problem that some people do use libcom, and anarchism generally, as a social network.
There are quite a few people who seem to have found for themselves a little social scene and either have zero politics or group affiliation, or participate in zero actualy discussions.
That said I still think people need to wise the fuck up and stop the kneejerk hysteria too.

Django's picture
Django
Sep 9 2008 15:08
Quote:
This is the most important issue. I'm horrified at the thought of people coming to the site with a casual interest in anarchism and seeing the thread about the "pregnant man".

IMO this is the only problem. It shouldnt happen.

If Libcommunity is tucked away somewhere discrete or hidden from unregistered users then there should be some kind of introduction forum to make up for it, for new users.

Topic locked