Boulcolonialboy is leaving libcom

150 posts / 0 new
Last post
Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 23:25
revol68 wrote:
redemption for what purposes? like seriously, why would I bother looking to start some PR offensive now? sure other people have explicitly said that this issue is different from issues about me in the past, as such my attitude towards this changes nothing around previous issues.

Well given you contributed plenty to this 'culture' which by the way, lots of people on here apparently don't have a problem with, I'm guessing you feel partly responsible and are making this thin-as-fuck attempt to distance yourself from it given the amount of people you've already turned away from this board for 'other reasons' (as if that somehow excuses you)

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 23:28
revol68 wrote:

As far as I can see weeler you agree with the leftists at blackcat that libcom is not fit for political discussion, so instead you treat it almost exclusively as a social networking site. Infact you've said so yourself.

in fairness there are shitloads of posters on here who have treated this site as a social network for years and never post any political content and do zero political activity in real life.
At least in Weeler's case he is actually politically active, and does actually contribute to genuine to discussions most of the time.
I assume you wouldn't deny this.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 23:29

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 23:48
revol68 wrote:

Your claim that i've all of a sudden pulled these criticisms of libcommunity out of my arse would suggest I wasn't making these same criticisms months ago, which as you know I was.

i don't claim you pulled the criticism from out of nowhere - I earlier mentioned a thread where I told you to start some discussions, easily 6/7 mths ago. What I don claim is this over night elder stateman of the board bullshit seem to have been brought on rather quickly - then again i know you get up to daft mischief when you are bored/broke wink
Basically you'd rather other people start discussions and as I said either:-
a - piss and moan about them being boring or beneath you
b - wreck them by being a prick (this I defended but I can't ignore that's the real effect you had, which you seem to think isn't problematic)

Quote:
And no I wouldn't agree Boul was as involved in it and even if he was, he atleast saw there was a problem.
Again you keep bringing up that same old shit about my previous behaviour which a) you agree was mostly bullshit by people who simply couldn't or wouldn't defend their politics and b) isn't actually relevant to this discussion as I keep pointing out, infact as other posters have stated off their own bat.

well it is relevant cos your complaint is that 'no real discussion goes on', despite you yourself engaging in easily as many injokes as anyone else over the years and not actually making an attempt to start ANY real discussions and when real discussions do start you shut them down
'please let me in on who we are joking about' - last week mate

I'm curious as to what you actually think is worse:
a - talkin shite and being daft
b - being a cunt when real discussions start

Cos I sure as hell know what excuse most people have given me when I've met them and they mention libcom (clue it was the 2nd one, and they usually mention you). You seem to think that because they cite different reasons that makes it all better or absolves you and justifies this pathetic redemption persona you've currently adopted.

Quote:
If you defended me in the past it should have been because you agreed with me or thought the claims were bullshit, it has no bearing on what attitude I should take on this issue, which isn't about scapegoating any individual or calling for bannings etc but simply on what I think of the culture of inanity within libcommunity. Fuck me it's even possible that I accept with hindsight that I fed into it in the past yet still can see the problems with the general culture that has become increasingly inane and something of a parody of a board culture that previously had some relevance eg breaking with activistoid and militant dull moralising.

You know why i defended you in the past, when I think DundeeUtd and various WSM members called for your banning, I still do, indeed i did last week on the tranny thread and it was because I thought their excuses were ballicks.

Also this idea that you were the only person problematising your contribution to the farce is a pretty fuckin weak. I generally had a go at people, including an admin, for the Downs jokes and when shit went too far. And completely acknowledge that too many of the barleys posting here don't have an ounce of wit to know when and when not to post nonsense.
Big fuckin deal.

Ultimately what this boils down to is that you are bored.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 9 2008 23:51
revol68 wrote:

I don't know why you are getting so defensive, i'm not even calling for this and that, simply stating honestly what I think of the libcommunity forum. Removing it from the tracker and making it for registered users only seems like a good idea and one with which you are in agreement. The only problem you seem to have with me is that i've described the culture of ironic racism and try hard pseudo self aware consumerism as worn out to fuck, which it is and as you know I have been saying that for quite a while.

Something i called for in february, well done.

As for stuff being worn-out or boring, that's neither here nor there really - yeah you don't find it funny. No big deal.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:17
revol68 wrote:
I am bored
Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:28
revol68 wrote:
conor why are you talking like it's a competition, congratulations if you called for it in February, that doesn't at all contradict anything I've posted.

My point is that while I personally have seen it as an issue for a while and agreed a long time ago that libcommunity should be reomved from the tracker, I'm not spinelessly deflecting blame onto anyone else, pretend I had nothing to do with it, and ignoring far worse and far more damaging (in terms of apparent perception of this place) trangressions in the past.

Quote:
And yes it isn't that big a deal if I find it boring and worn out, but then I've never claimed it necessarily should be, I was simply saying what I thought and agreeing with some people who thought likewise, I mean I agreed with Tacks ffs, do you think I would do that if I could in any way avoid it or if I was being insincere, of course not, unfortunately I think their was some truth in Tacks post.

Any degree of truth in tacks post (I believe it was to do with people being 'normal' and talking about their clothes) was so utterly banal as to be useless and coming from him was just fucking stupid too.

Seriously, you are bored of it, fair enough. You are a grown up, well done.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:35
revol68 wrote:
and yes I do enjoy winding people up when bored, which probably goes someway to explaining why i find the ironic consumerism/racism/laddism shit so dull, precisely because it's stuck in a self congratulatory circle and really has nothing to grate against. Knowing threads about 'things to buy this month' and the like can have a place amongst say a bunch of po faced crimethinc gimps or fair trade muppets but without them it just stagnates into inane crap, a dynamic of people all trying to out do each other in being "shocking".

oh wise up, your ikea thread was a month ago
seriously, this pc earnest try-hard shit is beneath you

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:39
revol68 wrote:
Do I continously engage in ironic racism, sexism, conservatism and laddism?

No I don't, I think it's tedious shit, as you know from not only on the board but in real life, infact me saying as much has been taken as a cue to try to wind me up by pushing it further, likewise with Boul. Y'know the reasons Boul has left and others have stated their problems with the libcommunity forums.

All the other stuff about redemption is nothing but an irrelevant diversion.

I think some of Boul's reason for leaving are absolute shite to be fair. He has contributed to plenty of inane, pointless threads, as have you.

And yes, you have engaged in plenty of ironic bigotry, but given most of us aren't muppets we see it for what it is, a bit of a laugh, as plenty of people have stated on this thread.

Your whole argument seems to rest entirely on it being 'by-degree'
'oh yeah I did a bit, a while back, but someone else did it waaay more'

and no the other shit isn't a diversion, for reasons I've stated

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:40
revol68 wrote:
What concerns me about the 'ironic' racism, laddism and conservatism is the fact it's fucking played out to fuck.

yes blah blah you think it's boring yes

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Sep 10 2008 00:53
Jack wrote:
You can mention me by name, you cowardly little shit. lol how out of order asking who someone was on libcom to take the piss out of them.

Harden the fuck up.

When are you and your playmates gonna grow up? Your pathetic little games exposed, boo hoo. You have repeatedly used your admin status, Jack, to be pointlessly antagonistic and protect your little boys clique from any consequence on here. Worse, the other admins have allowed that to happen. This is the routine response when the big mouth egos are called to account; 'become as hard as me' - ie, the 'hardmen' insist on setting the agenda on how people are treated and must relate to each other. There's nothing weaker than being 'hard' online.

choccy wrote:
... the stupid twats who lurk for ages and post nothing on any other discussions, follow injokes for months, then try to jump in on jokes that require a little bit of nuance or wit to follow and participate in, and end up making dicks of themselves..

Yeh right, how dare they try and steal the floor from the dominant clique who set the agenda with their 'nuance and wit'? An alternative description; note how when newbies go on libcommunity the ruling clique often let them run their mouth awhile then put them in their place by ruling something as uncool/unfunny, thereby perpetuating the self-congratulatory status quo. Arbiters of vacuous taste, what an achievement. Arbiters of dull cynicism, trying to out-shock, piss-taking and insecurity about their fashion consumptions, more like. And being called on your shitty behaviour and obsessions is 'knee-jerk hysteria' - if anything's hysterical it's your obsessions with paedos etc and being un-PC. As if breaking PC taboos is, like, really brave and shocking, how naughty and ironic. Just shows how influenced you still are by those taboos, how large they loom for you as something to challenge. You apparently hang around with too many politicos/leftists - sorry, I guess you are leftists; the only people to whom making a big show of being 'un-PC' really matters, or who would be impressed by such posing.

The un-PC 'joke' is not 3 yrs out of date, more like 25 - successive waves of former lifestylist activists have done it - as if it's some recently dicovered breakthrough - when they wanna let the world know they've decided to (re)integrate and be really normal like proper proles, go native etc. And - just like when they were lifestylists - the image of who and what they are is always exemplary and really important to impress on the rest of us. They just never used to have over-tolerant websites to indulge their insecurities. Libcom - a vehicle for a clique of failed 'comedians'? What's the point?

choccy wrote:
... Given that in UK anarchism you are probably single-handedly the most notorious user for shutting down discussion on these boards over the last 4yrs and the fact that I can name specific individuals who don't post here because of you, I personally think it's pretty rich and to be honest uncharacteristically spineless of you to be talking some of the shite you are on here...

How ironic or 'rich' then that you've fallen into revol's former role that he's grown out of - and that you're saying the above on a thread about why someone is understandably no longer wanting to post here due, partly, to your behaviour. Try applying your defensive criticisms to yourself for a change. And revol's past behaviour will never pass as any lame excuse for yours now. He's reflective enough to say;

revol wrote:
... Fuck me it's even possible that I accept with hindsight that I fed into it in the past yet still can see the problems with the general culture that has become increasingly inane and something of a parody of a board culture that previously had some relevance eg breaking with activistoid and militant dull moralising.

As for this;

choccy wrote:
I think some of Boul's reason for leaving are absolute shite to be fair. He has contributed to plenty of inane, pointless threads, as have you

That's pretty retarded thinking - if you've done it in the past you're not allowed to change your mind about it?

'Knee-jerk hysteria', blah blah etc? Complaining about criticism, you fucking wimps? What's your problem, stop whingeing and take your own advice - "cop on" and "harden the fuck up".

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 00:59
revol68 wrote:
And for the last time, the issues around Boul's leaving and those being discussed here have fuck all to do with my behaviour in the past, as Boul said himself.
boulcolonialboy wrote:
Of course there are probably those who will blame revol68 on that but thats shite.

I don't even know where this comes from. I never claimed Boul left because of you. Are you mental?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 01:20
Ret Marut wrote:

When are you and your playmates gonna grow up? Your pathetic little games exposed, boo hoo. You have repeatedly used your admin status, Jack, to be pointlessly antagonistic and protect your little boys clique from any consequence on here. Worse, the other admins have allowed that to happen. This is the routine response when the big mouth egos are called to account; 'become as hard as me' - ie, the 'hardmen' insist on setting the agenda on how people are treated and must relate to each other. There's nothing weaker than being 'hard' online.

this is fucking priceless
i've never heard anyone call Jack hard, even online . Fuck sake his online persona is consistently one of the most self-deprecating and wimpy I've seen.

Quote:
Yeh right, how dare they try and steal the floor from the dominant clique who set the agenda with their 'nuance and wit'? An alternative description; note how when newbies go on libcommunity the ruling clique often let them run their mouth awhile then put them in their place by ruling something as uncool/unfunny, thereby perpetuating the self-congratulatory status quo. Arbiters of vacuous taste, what an achievement. Arbiters of dull cynicism, trying to out-shock, piss-taking and insecurity about their fashion consumptions, more like. And being called on your shitty behaviour and obsessions is 'knee-jerk hysteria' - if anything's hysterical it's your obsessions with paedos etc and being un-PC. As if breaking PC taboos is, like, really brave and shocking, how naughty and ironic. Just shows how influenced you still are by those taboos, how large they loom for you as something to challenge. You apparently hang around with too many politicos/leftists - sorry, I guess you are leftists; the only people to whom making a big show of being 'un-PC' really matters, or who would be impressed by such posing.

this is literally all just balls
no one thinks it's ground-breaking, or WOW
Sure there's a few people who are good mates in real life who talk shite and understand context, then there's eejits who don't...
Ruling clique? What the fuck are you on about?

Quote:
The un-PC 'joke' is not 3 yrs out of date, more like 25 - successive waves of former lifestylist activists have done it - as if it's some recently dicovered breakthrough - when they wanna let the world know they've decided to (re)integrate and be really normal like proper proles, go native etc. And - just like when they were lifestylists - the image of who and what they are is always exemplary and really important to impress on the rest of us. They just never used to have over-tolerant websites to indulge their insecurities. Libcom - a vehicle for a clique of failed 'comedians'? What's the point?

An this in itself is an ongoing joke on here, how people of previously uber-PC inclinations have gone off on one. Big deal. Crawl out of your own fucking arse mate.
Yeah so some people were being arseholes and got called on it. Hardly a fucking crisis.

Quote:
How ironic or 'rich' then that you've fallen into revol's former role that he's grown out of - and that you're saying the above on a thread about why someone is understandably no longer wanting to post here due, partly, to your behaviour. Try applying your defensive criticisms to yourself for a change. And revol's past behaviour will never pass as any lame excuse for yours now. He's reflective enough to say;

Me? I'm not aware that i am being accused or used as an example in any of this actually. And given the fact that I publically said a lot of the shite being posted (like the Downs jokes) were well out of order (I'll get the actualt threads for you if you want so you can properly look like a dick) I'm not actually sure what you are on about here.
The only reason I'm contributing to this is cos I object to a few other users being scapegoated for it.

Quote:
That's pretty retarded thinking - if you've done it in the past you're not allowed to change your mind about it?

Can you please not use the word 'retarded'? srs business here
Eh, I'm talking like last week mate. Of course someone can change jesus - given the entire unPC thing was driven by people changing their slants on thing that's hardly the issue. It's the pathetic moralising and finger-pointing of people who have easily contributed to the apparent farce they are condemning.

Quote:
'Knee-jerk hysteria', blah blah etc? Complaining about criticism, you fucking wimps? What's your problem, stop whingeing and take your own advice - "cop on" and "harden the fuck up".

Clearly you didn't actually read my post that started all this shit, never mind. I accepted much of the criticism, that the stuff was boring, that it created room for idiots who took it too far because they were tryhards etc etc I even injected a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour and popular culture references - all of which passed you by because you were apparently also up your own arse
But yeah, given a significant amount of people apparently have no problem with libcommunity, and that the person responsible for the single-most offensive joke on that board HAS accepted the criticism and apologised you're being a bit of a knob.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 01:17
revol68 wrote:
Well then how the fuck is my past behaviour relevant to this thread.

because it's rich for you to complain about someone being driven away from the site when you are responsible for driving away more users than probably every other regular user combined

if you can't see how that's relevant you are deluded

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 10 2008 02:33

The hilarious part is how Revol and Conor are battling furiously for Boul's legacy.

Ret Marut's got some good points about Libcommunity but what does it matter? To me, it reads like those guys don't really feel that secure in other social situations so let them be kings of the Libcommunity castle and we can have the real world and all its various sensual and emotional pleasures.

But is it really boiling over to other discussions? If anything, the ICC monotheism is being left untouched in the threads I've read.

...Oh no wait, there's on thread on News where they almost have a disagreement with the IBRP.

Fuck man, this is what I come back to?

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 10 2008 04:07

Yeahhhhhhhhhh go on Belfast...everytime you post I wanna make that kinda imaginary crowd-cheering whispering sound kids make at football kickabouts...

jambo1's picture
jambo1
Sep 10 2008 07:35

i dont know what all the fuss is about. libcom is a great resource to use and contribute to. the forums are there to be used, and libcommunity is the one where all the banter etc takes place. if you dont like it fuck off, we should be all big boys and girls and not take it too seriously. i have no problem with people talking pish on it as it can be a bit of fun reading all the shite that goes on. the mods are going to reconstruct the forums which will be good but libcommunity should still be for people shooting shit really.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 11:54
revol68 wrote:

conor that simply isn't true, Boul made the same criticisms months ago, in real life as well. I'm also not aware of him consistently engaging in ironic racism or the like, ironic sectarianism yes but that's not exactly the same considering the circumstances now is it. He certainly could be abusive in political posts but that's the thing he had a political point in them.

IN this case it's fairly relative, I'd say ironic sectarianism is probably as boring and stale too many posters as the shit you're banging on about. As recently as last week, Boul was starting a daft, tired, pointless, self-referential meme.

And no, Boul never mentioned any of these apparent deap-seated long-held problem he had with libcom. Honestly, he never once mentioned any of this stuff to me in real life, or on the boards.
You definitely did though.

revol68 wrote:
So boul's reasons for leaving can be equated to those of people who stated me as a reason? Maybe you should consider the fact that not all the reasons for leaving are the same nor of equal worth and that maybe just maybe I think there is something in Bouls reasoning that is true, especially since Boul is not one prone to getting stroppy over swearing in posts or highly charged political debate with insults flying.

Whilst you are considering that you should perhaps consider that I haven't been whinging about 'driving people away' or putting people off, I have simply stated that I think the culture of ironic racism and such is fucking dull and well stale, I haven't said anything about it forcing me to leave or whatever.

Yes yes so you keep saying, you think it's boring. You are a grown up, well done.
Who is saying that reasons have to be equal or anything of the sort?
To deny they are relevant though is just stupid.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 11:56

Alan has out-done himself here. This is probably one of his best mental rants ever.
I miss that crazy bastard.

Please do a tranny rant.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 11:58
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
The hilarious part is how Revol and Conor are battling furiously for Boul's legacy.

bonkers

Quote:
Ret Marut's got some good points about Libcommunity but what does it matter? To me, it reads like those guys don't really feel that secure in other social situations so let them be kings of the Libcommunity castle and we can have the real world and all its various sensual and emotional pleasures.

hahahahhahahaha

Quote:
this is what I come back to?

you could always just fuck off again wink

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 11:59
weeler wrote:
Tacks was just being a patronising cunt, rolling in behind boul to have a go off the site. Do you remember him posting 4chan memes at the start of the summer before 'leaving' the site because he was slagged off on libcommunity, essentially he is butthurt over libcom and now lining up behind anyone who criticises it.

seriously, this is pretty much true

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 12:02
jambo1 wrote:
i dont know what all the fuss is about. libcom is a great resource to use and contribute to. the forums are there to be used, and libcommunity is the one where all the banter etc takes place. if you dont like it fuck off, we should be all big boys and girls and not take it too seriously. i have no problem with people talking pish on it as it can be a bit of fun reading all the shite that goes on. the mods are going to reconstruct the forums which will be good but libcommunity should still be for people shooting shit really.

Yes

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Sep 10 2008 12:34
revol68 wrote:
also conor you are right that no one singled you in relation to Boul leaving or even the general culture of libcommunity, which is why it baffles me that you've been so vocal in having a go at me for daring to say I thought the oh so ironic culture was tedious.

If you feel singled out now, it's only because you nominated yourself the white knight of libcommunity.

While I agreed that idiots were taking stuff too far, and much content was just daft (which I don't see as a problem), I do object to people who have certainly contributed to it engaging in these pathetic attempts to distance themselves from it. Also, I thought many of the specific examples cited were pisspoor and to be honest if people have a problem with some of that stuff, in an offtopic banter forum then they really should just fuck off.

Given that Jack and Weeler appear to have been singled out here it's worth noting that when actual discussions arise in the 'proper' forums, they generally (not always, aside from colourful language, but who doesn't do that?) contribute in a constructive way and refrain from shutting down those types of discussions

juozokas's picture
juozokas
Sep 10 2008 12:38

Talk about me now!

juozokas's picture
juozokas
Sep 10 2008 14:08

nuhuh

Yarrow
Sep 10 2008 15:07

in all fairness, there are a lot of oversensitive and immature posters here. conor, weeler, revol... i'm looking at you.

Red Marriott's picture
Red Marriott
Sep 10 2008 17:42

OK, so you all refuse to take responsibility for the continuing climate and culture on here that turns so many people off, that spills over to other parts of the site etc. Pretending that libcommunity has no influence on the wider site and the libcommunity habitual behaviour is never transferred elswhere. No surprise... let the brat clique continue. Thanks for being so 'comradely' about Boul's (and others') feelings/concerns.

Jack, you're by far the rudest of the admins and the one who's longterm most contributed to the the shitty climate on here - in that sense I think you've been 'protected', by knowing admin status gave you more protection from sanction, thereby setting a bad example to other posters (some of the worst culprits having been your mates) - 'if our pal the admin does it must be OK' - so I stand by what I say.

Jack wrote:
if you reckon I'm saying Tacks should be as "hard" as we are, or that when one of us says 'harden the fuck up' we mean it literally

Yeh, all part of the cliqueyness - only those 'in the know' can decipher the clique's irony and explain it - and irony can be used to wrongfoot the uninitiated by being ambiguous about what is really meant or changing the meaning when challenged. All part of keeping the hierarchy, who's 'cool' and who ain't.

(BTW, great to see the carefully constructed cool poses self-destructing here into high-pitched defensive whining. wink )

Yeh, let's 'harden the fuck up' and acclimatise ourselves to being resigned to the existence of a clique of selfish domineering posers and even encourage them by giving them their own designated territory - but hang on, that sounds just like the world we're already living in and, er, claiming to be trying to challenge, not uncritically reproduce.

Lame excuses/strawmannisms; anyone who criticises this crap is prudish/not hard enough and doesn't know how rough it gets elsewhere (and what happens elsewhere is supposedly a justification); anyone who's behaved similarly in the past (1)forfeits their right to reflect, reconsider and criticise thereafter (2)is only jealous cos they were judged negatively and/or excluded by the clique. Long live the style police.

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Sep 10 2008 18:28

I share Ret Marut's dismay at the way this discussion has degenerated. He is correct that the clique behaviour spills out into the more serious discussions and also the way that new members are welcomed. For example, on a recent welcome post, there were bizarre pictures of "tarps" - no doubt hilarious to those that know but personally if I was a newcomer I would have wondered if you were taking the piss.

What some participants need to remember is that, by being politically active, we are "ambassadors" for our politics. The prevailing ideology will never tire of denigrating us and there's no reason for us to help them out. This doesn't mean militants have to be saints - but they need to remember the way they conduct themselves in public reflects on the whole milieu.

What I may say in the company of my girlfriend or my mates is a world apart from how I'd behave in a political meeting or in open public. And the internet is as about as public as you can get! "Oh, but it's worse on other forums", say some of you. That's all very well but what we're about is a bit more important than pissing about on the internet for "lulz".

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 10 2008 18:37

Right well I think anything productive that was ever going to happen with this discussion has now happened.

People should be reminded that this is a non flaming forum, and so to cut out the personal abuse or.

I hope that everyone has learnt something, and it seems that people have.

In terms of the forums, as has been pointed out the Admins don't have time to read and moderate libcommunity properly.

We had removed it from the tracker, but I guess it went back in. It has now been removed again, and libcommunity placed in a separate section right at the bottom of the forums.

I will issue this warning that unacceptable behaviour on the forums should not be tolerated, anything that crosses the line should be reported to one of the Admins, and people can be banned if necessary.

I hope that this won't be needed, and also hope that people will spend more time here contributing to serious discussions, or helping post articles to the site - which is still growing in popularity in terms of general readership - to make a really decent resource for workers, rather than just inane banter. A bit of banter is fine, but it should be secondary to meaningful engagement.

I'm going to lock this thread now to prevent discussion deteriorating any further. There's no point pointing fingers, there is a problem with the culture, which can hopefully evolve.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 10 2008 18:37

P. S. if people like Boul or Ret want to help moderate then please send me a message!

Topic locked