Radical Workers Bloc on Anti-Cuts March - London - 23rd October 2010

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Oct 4 2010 17:30
Radical Workers Bloc on Anti-Cuts March - London - 23rd October 2010

On Saturday 23rd October 2010 a number of trade unions have called for a march in London to lobby the TUC to fight the cuts. This is the same day as the annual London Anarchist Bookfair and a day when a large number of anarchists are in the city. We are calling on all anarchists and militant workers to join us in forming a 'Radical Worker's Bloc' on the demonstration, not to beg the trade union bureaucrats to take action, but to argue that we fight the cuts based on the principles of solidarity, direct action, and control of our own struggles.

As the anti-war movement has shown, protest alone won't change anything. The government have already said that they will not be swayed by protests. Instead, we need a widespread fightback based in the workplace as well as the streets that acts in solidarity with fellow workers fighting these austerity measures all over the world.

We also intend to be a visible anti-capitalist presence on the demonstration pointing out that it is capitalism that has caused the crisis that has led to these cuts and that in response to their class war we need to reciprocate: meeting cuts with direct action - strikes, occupations and civil disobedience - whilst fighting for a different world which puts human needs first.

Bring red and black flags, banners and propaganda. The workers movement needs anarchist ideas and methods more than ever if we're to beat the cuts.

Meet at 11am outside RMT head office, 39 Chalton Street, London NW1 1JD.

Called by South London Solidarity Federation,
to becoming a supporting organisation or for more information contact South London Solidarity Federation at:

southlondonsf (at) solfed.org.uk

facebook
twitter

_LIAM_
Oct 6 2010 08:50

Instead of the utter pointless black block and 'Radical Workers Bloc' tactic why don't people get organised and produce a single leaflet that argues for the building of a movement to oppose and stop the cuts similar to the anti poll tax movement. Use the march to talk with and engage fellow workers as opposed to splitting ourselves off into a small meaningless group.

The left will lead people down the streets of London and straight into the cul-de-sac of begging the union bureaucrats to lead the fight back.

A few hundred militant workers on that march could leaflet the entire march and talk to loads of fellow workers about the need to take ownership of the fight back and push for real action that will have success. As we march along don't form one mass of radical workers, continually move through out the march with our flags and banners. Make ourselves visible and talk to everyone we can.

Don't fall into the typical trap of marching in boring and meaningless formation with each left sect behind their own particular banners.

This may not seems as much fun as running round in a big black block and thinking you look oh so cool. However if we are serious about building genuine resistance that can succeed then it has to be done.

Running around London smashing shit up (as many of the riot fetish black blockers would no doubt love to) and acting the hard men/women will have no impact other than to reinforce the idea that we are mindless hooligans with little political direction.

We need to come together to argue for occupations of government offices, flying pickets to support workers in fights against cuts and community/workplace support for those fighting the cuts. We must use the opportunity to put forward the idea that we can build a movement that will be not one of protest but one of active and effective resistance.

Marches and protests will not stop the cuts. The only thing that will is resistance similar to that which stopped the poll tax. It was done before it can be done again.

FROM PROTEST TO RESISTANCE.

_LIAM_
Oct 6 2010 08:24

EDIT ~ Double post

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 6 2010 09:10
Quote:
Use the march to talk with and engage fellow workers

that's exactly what a radical workers bloc is. I'm still struggling to believe people turn up to summits/conferences dressed as ninjas. in 2010.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Oct 6 2010 10:25
_LIAM_ wrote:
Use the march to talk with and engage fellow workers as opposed to splitting ourselves off into a small meaningless group.

That's exactly what the Radical Workers Bloc did in Liverpool at the demo against the Lib Dem conference.

Battlescarred
Oct 10 2010 11:06

London AF have agreed to support this initiative

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 10 2010 13:57

Also, Liam can you please point out to me where it says, suggests, or implies this will be a black bloc?

And, wow, this:

SolFed wrote:
We also intend to be a visible anti-capitalist presence on the demonstration pointing out that it is capitalism that has caused the crisis that has led to these cuts and that in response to their class war we need to reciprocate: meeting cuts with direct action - strikes, occupations and civil disobedience - whilst fighting for a different world which puts human needs first.

Sounds and awfully lot like this:

Liam wrote:
argue for the building of a movement to oppose and stop the cuts similar to the anti poll tax movement. Use the march to talk with and engage fellow workers...A few hundred militant workers on that march could leaflet the entire march and talk to loads of fellow workers about the need to take ownership of the fight back and push for real action that will have success.

And, yet again, this:

Liam wrote:
Marches and protests will not stop the cuts. The only thing that will is resistance similar to that which stopped the poll tax.

Sound a lot like this:

SolFed wrote:
As the anti-war movement has shown, protest alone won't change anything. The government have already said that they will not be swayed by protests. Instead, we need a widespread fightback based in the workplace as well as the streets

If we were in Libcommunity I'd have much harsher words for you unnecessarily harsh tone and ill-informed statements.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 10 2010 13:57
Battlescarred wrote:
London AF have agreed to support this initiative

Good to hear it, see you there FWs!

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 10 2010 15:20

I think this initiative generally needs to be publicised more widely. Are the Bookfair people gonna promote it? Does anyone have the contact of, say, the folk runnign the Facebook events page for it?

Beltov
Oct 12 2010 22:25

The ICC has agreed to support this initiative too, on the basis that we agree that it is necessary to "argue that we fight the cuts based on the principles of solidarity, direct action, and control of our own struggles." We'll be sending a few comrades along.

no1
Oct 13 2010 12:51

Is there a leaflet, or facebook event which could be used to publicise this?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 13 2010 15:40
no1 wrote:
Is there a leaflet, or facebook event which could be used to publicise this?

Here you go comrade: http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/10/464201.html?c=on#comments

None of us have any idea who made it, but there you go...

Jason Cortez
Oct 19 2010 20:09

bump

spitzenprodukte's picture
spitzenprodukte
Oct 20 2010 20:36

I was at the demo today and the need for a radical workers bloc was my immediate impression- as a consistent presence of normal, non-ninja workers as a visible presence as to our existence. A depressing(ly predictable) amount of speakers at the demo talked about, essentially, how the anti-cuts campaign could be used to help bolster STWC (although not in so many words, this was the impression I got). Only one speaker called for an increase in direct action- although there was a bit of pushing and shoving at the start of the demo when a group of students tried to push past police lines to get to the gates of Downing St, and the RMT big boys rushed in too. I hope people manage to come to this before the bookfair.

As a side, in future maybe an actual facebook event might be a good idea, in order for people to invite sympathetic friends who aren't necessarily affiliated or involved with existing groups?

Jason Cortez
Oct 21 2010 15:25

See you on the streets on Saturday, folks.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 21 2010 15:40

i might bring my implausibly long flagpole [no freud]

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Oct 21 2010 18:44

I want to go but will probs be on EWN stall, hope there's a decent turnout.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 22 2010 17:49

Bump. But remember the tube lines are fucked, so plan ahead...

gypsy
Oct 22 2010 19:57
ncwob wrote:
Bump. But remember the tube lines are fucked, so plan ahead...

is there a strike on the tube lines tomoz?

spitzenprodukte's picture
spitzenprodukte
Oct 22 2010 20:53

FBU strike which will have an effect on the tubes.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 22 2010 22:51

really? How does that work? (Serious, not snarky.)

I just assumed that, as usual, "planned engineering works" were done is such a way as to make my life as complicated as possible....

cobbler
Oct 22 2010 23:59
ncwob wrote:
really? How does that work? (Serious, not snarky.).

"This coming Saturday (23 October), FBU members in the London Fire Brigade will be on strike. this will mean that the LFB will not be available to provide its usual fire protection service to London Underground.

Click '1 attachment'/ file name to download a pro forma that you can use to invoke London Underground Ltd's safety procedures in the face of any threat to your health and safety. Please download and submit to your manager should you feel that the absence of fire cover places you and/or others in serious and imminent danger."

http://www.rmtlondoncalling.org.uk/node/1776

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 23 2010 00:08
ncwob wrote:

I just assumed that, as usual, "planned engineering works" were done is such a way as to make my life as complicated as possible....

Basically it can be a pretty powerful bit of workers' solidarity. The last time firefighters went on strike many tube drivers refused to drive trains, saying it was too dangerous in the absence of a functioning fire service.

People in other kinds of workplaces could try to do this as well.

gypsy
Oct 23 2010 06:02

ok thanks for info guys

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 23 2010 07:53
Steven. wrote:
ncwob wrote:

Basically it can be a pretty powerful bit of workers' solidarity. The last time firefighters went on strike many tube drivers refused to drive trains, saying it was too dangerous in the absence of a functioning fire service.

People in other kinds of workplaces could try to do this as well.

That is effin' sweet!

syndicalist
Oct 24 2010 16:43

How'd this go?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 24 2010 18:16

there's a brief report here: http://northamptonsolidarityfederation.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/against-the-cuts-2/

just under 100 on the block, a couple of thousand on the demo as a whole. gave out loads of leaflets, waved lots of flags, it didn't rain. so went about as well as it could.

cobbler
Oct 24 2010 20:16

That's a fair assessment. It went quite smoothly: a couple of people tried to stir things with loudspeakers, with moderate success (Couldn't have it too quiet now, could we?). The red and black section was a reasonable proportion of the whole and so was very noticeable, and it did draw attention. As Joseph said above, quite a lot of leaflets were handed out (We used London's, Liverpool's and Catalyst) and quite a few questions were asked about us and our politics. I think our presence was generally well received.

At the end police presence was focused predominantly on this group, but at a distance. From where I was stood I couldn't really hear any of the speeches at the end, so can't comment on that.

Oh, and we had some evangelical woman weaving between us the whole time trying to tell us that God was the answer to the crisis.

[edit: typo...]

syndicalist
Oct 24 2010 19:51

cool/thanx

Battlescarred
Oct 25 2010 08:48

Resistance and the bookfair flyer were handed out as well

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 25 2010 15:47
Quote:
just under 100 on the block

I'm not going to lie, I think that's a bit generous. I'd say 50-60...