Remembering Leo Rosser

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
lbernstein
Jun 13 2009 15:02
Remembering Leo Rosser

Next year on 25 March, it will be the 20th anniversary of Leo Rosser's death. I would like to mark it in some way but haven't yet given much thought to how so thought I'd throw it open to anyone on here who was a friend or comrade of Leo's back then. It goes without saying that any ideas will be run past his family too, for their approval. I expect they would like to be involved anyway (I'm in regular contact with them).

Back then, we had a fantastic wake shortly after the funeral and there was also a ceremony in Barcelona, ably organised by the CNT there, when I scattered Leo's ashes by the graves of Durutti and Francisco Ferrer in the cemetery on Mont Juich. Whatever happens next year, it would be good to end it with some kind of social so we can toast him and share memories. If anyone has any brilliant ideas as to what shape or form the anniversary event should take, please message me on here. Ditto, if you'd like to help organise it as I can't do it single-handed! I'd really like to include as many of Leo's old friends as possible from among those who are still around.

AES's picture
AES
Jun 13 2009 15:43

Just recently I spoke with someone who knew Leo. A document co-written by Leo Rosser is the excellent "Revolutionary unionism in Latin America - the FORA in Argentina"

lbernstein
Jun 13 2009 15:58

Leo published that before we met. It was always very well received and AFAIK is still the definitive history of the FORA. Until a few years ago, I still had a big bundle of copies, inherited as part of Leo's estate. Then I donated a massive pile of stuff to the Kate Sharpley Library, including most of Leo's own private library of books on anarchism and bundles of Black Flag back issues and copies of the FORA pamphlet - I understand KSL uses duplicate copies to exchange with other archives and this seemed a fitting way to dispose of Leo's papers as I no longer had the room to keep them.

freemind
Jun 13 2009 16:45

Leo was a fantastic comrade and someone who it was impossible not to like.If i wanted to know anything contemporary about the CNT and Latino Anarcho-Syndicalism i would go to him.I was at his funeral and many people were in tears at the loss of a valued friend and comrade including the one and only Albert Meltzer.
red n black star

syndicalist
Jun 14 2009 04:50

20 years...wow. I guess it must be true, Leo once wrote me:

"I keep popping up like that old penny". Indeed. 20 years on comrade, you're still popping up.

Miss you!