SF-IWA calls for national week of action against Office Angels (9-15 May)

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
May 4 2011 17:41
SF-IWA calls for national week of action against Office Angels (9-15 May)

Since March the Solidarity Federation (SF) has been involved in supporting a victimised former Office Angels temporary worker. Dan worked for Office Angels for three days in December of last year. He was assured by the company that the lack of a time-sheet would 'not be a problem'. However, Office Angels are refusing to pay him the wages he is owed - falsely claiming he only worked for one day, despite them having called him at work on his third day.

So far we have held pickets in London and across the country, as Office Angels have still not paid Dan the wages he is owed we are now calling for a national week of action against Office Angels branches from Monday 9 May till Sunday 15 May. We are also asking for people to make solidarity calls and emails to the branch he had been working for on Wednesday 11 May. Office Angels is a subsidiary of Adecco so we are asking for Adecco branches to be targeted as well.

Phone: 020 8542 6688 (international calls dial +4420 8542 6688)

E-mail addresses to target:

wimbledon@office-angels.com
sophie.rodrigues@office-angels.com
donna.jones@office-angels.com
claire.stradling@office-angels.com
julie.davy@office-angels.com

Sample e-mail:

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam,

Hereby I would like to express my dissatisfaction with the treatment of one of your workers, who has been declined the payout of his wage for two days of work.

I find this behaviour unacceptable and demand that you pay what you owe immediately. Until then I will continue to inform people about your shameful practices.

Email sending tool

Until Dan gets paid, we will keep on increasing the pressure we are putting on the company. We want to hear from any current or previous Office Angels and Adecco employees that have come into conflict with these company and its culture of disrespect. We know that this is not an isolated incident and the more people get involved, the more pressure we can put on the company to start treating its workers properly.

Temporary workers face similar unacceptable conditions every day. They work without sick pay or maternity leave, are vulnerable to unfair and instant dismissals and have no union support. Rising unemployment and a bleak economic climate will force even more of us to accept these precarious conditions - yet another example of working class people being exploited by an economic system that only benefits the rich.

For more information on the dispute so far visit this page.

If you are organising a picket please contact us so we can publicise it. Leaflet for pickets available here.

Following the national week of action the IWA will be organising an international week of action against Adecco.

syndicalist
May 4 2011 19:57

I'll pass the info onto WSA members and some others in north am.

EDIT: Have sent out emails to comrades. Trusting to get something out of it.

MT
May 5 2011 09:59
Tommy Ascaso wrote:

Email sending tool

OA e-mail addresses have been added to the e-form, so there are all 5 of them now. Good luck comrades and let us know the international day dates asap;)

Yorkie Bar
May 5 2011 11:40

Gah, that's the benefits week of action as well!

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
May 8 2011 20:21

turns out ATOS and Office Angels are a kick the arse away from each, so happy days.

Day of action against ATOS origin and Office Angels / Adecco

Monday 9th May, 11am

Nottingham Anarchist Federation is answering the call out for a day of action against these two companies

Pickets will be held outside Office Angels’ recruitment agency to demand the payment of wages unfairly withheld from a worker.

Afterwards we’ll move onto the ATOS Healthcare medical assessment centre to show solidarity with Incapacity Benefit claimants and protest against ATOS profiting from the administration of unfair tests and the kicking of claimants off benefits.

Meet at 11am outside Office Angels (located in the city centre past the right lion. Next door to MAC and opposite The Square bar/club)

Angel House,
12-13 Cheapside,
City Centre,
Nottingham,
NG1 2HU

Bring banners, placards, flags and noisy stuff

Map: http://tinyurl.com/6xlpdn2

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221270991217017

MT
May 7 2011 14:32

the international actions are planned to be a week or a day of actions, just to know in case the national action week doesn't make the company give in.

MT
May 7 2011 14:56

Ok, just to confirm the whole thing in regard to international part of the campaign.

1) it is supposed to start after May 15th?
2) it would be ideal that most of the actions take place on Wednesday 18th?

Ed's picture
Ed
May 7 2011 15:18

I'm getting ready.. twisted

MT
May 7 2011 15:36
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
Your international secretary should have the full details, we'll be calling it to start on 23rd May with the calls and emails on the 25th so we'll be trying to co-ordinate most of our actions around then, but don't worry if you can't. Thanks again for your support!

We surely will do some kind of soli activity. I've asked because it is not clear from what we have received. But now it is crystal clear, so thanks;)

mons
May 7 2011 15:47

There'll be pickets in Reading on Wednesday and Thursday and in Oxford sometime as well, will post up details when I have them.

no1
May 7 2011 16:41
Tommy Ascaso wrote:
I'm a bit surprised they're not paying up, guess they don't realise how far we're prepared to go.

Yes me too. Passersby who I talked to when we were picketing this week were a bit surprised that an agency like Office Angels would be stealing wages like this. This must be doing real damage to their image. I'm pretty sure they'll feel that in the pocket at some point : the most switched on workers will think twice about working for them if they can avoid it - who wants to take the risk of slaving away only to find out it was for free?

Tommy Ascaso wrote:
It looks like most SF locals are organising a lot of pickets in different locations and we're getting support from a lot of other groups.

Office Angels have a very helpful branch locator on their website. So I suggest that any libcom reader wishing to express solidarity with Dan check if there's a branch in their city. Even if there's no SolFed group, it only takes a few mates to do a picket.
http://www.office-angels.com/Pages/default.aspx

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 7 2011 19:34

Is the branch finder working for others? I've tried twice today without luck....

Suspicious....

no1
May 7 2011 20:03
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Is the branch finder working for others? I've tried twice today without luck....

You have to go through it step by step: select region -> press 'go' -> select location -> press 'go'.

Shame they are not as anal when it comes to paying workers.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 7 2011 20:39

Yeah, I actually figured that out. But, in London at least, that's not a very extensive list.

MT
May 8 2011 07:26

There was an error in the e-form. It didn't work last 4 days sad Sorry for that.
It was corrected and everything's ok now, you can use it.

Jason Cortez
May 9 2011 08:45

The week of action has BEGUN!

Auto's picture
Auto
May 9 2011 11:33

Oxford OfficeAngels are being picketed this Thursday 1pm-4pm:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=224908627525900&notif_t=event_invite

If you're in Oxford, get down there!

markov's picture
markov
May 9 2011 20:52

London Bridge Office Angels & Adecco branches being picketed this Wednesday 10am:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=208370492528044

Jason Cortez
May 10 2011 11:01

Hey guys can we have a list of all the pickets in one post so we can publicise them and the 'national' nature of the protest more obvivous and much easier to post (ala this )?

Jason Cortez
May 10 2011 11:08

London Bridge Office Angels & Adecco branches being picketed this Wednesday 10am: Correct link for this particular event

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
May 10 2011 12:34

Liverpool offices being picketed on Friday 11.30am.

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
May 10 2011 15:09

Nottingham Indymedia report and pictures:

http://nottingham.indymedia.org/articles/1755

posi
May 10 2011 15:26

I would be up for one NE London/Hackney type way. Are NLSF doing one?

Mike Harman
May 10 2011 17:04

It would be great if someone could collate these for a news article - can cover ones that have already happened, and listings for the whole week. It'd be nice to get some of this stuff in the first page of google listings for office angels.

Another thing that might be worth doing is buying some google ads for 'office angels' keywords - then people getting e-mails to their gmail accounts from them would see this. If the keywords aren't expensive it doesn't cost much per click, and you can limit the daily maximum budget (minimum was $5/day last time I looked at it)

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 10 2011 17:36
posi wrote:
I would be up for one NE London/Hackney type way. Are NLSF doing one?

Hit me up on training (at) solfed.org.uk comrade!

MT
May 10 2011 18:26

as I understand Dan worked for some branch of OA in London. I just would like to confirm that cos I tried to find out the info on the internet and failed. The model letter provided by SF doesn't say which OA branch exactly fucked up Dan. I would say it is quite useful info to mention when writing to OA and Adecco not only nationally but internationally.

MT
May 10 2011 18:42

great, thanks

mons
May 10 2011 20:25

Article should be forthcoming soon, here's a list of pickets anyway:

- Leeds on Wednesday, 16.00pm to 17.30pm: http://www.solfed.org.uk/?q=office-angels-picket-0
- London Bridge, London on Wednesday, 10.00am: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200487546659837
- Croydon, London (Wellesley Road) on Wednesday, 13.00pm
- Oxford Street, London on Wednesday, 12.00pm.
- Reading on Wednesday and Thursday, email tvsf [ @ ] riseup.net for more details.
- Oxford on Thursday, 13.15pm to at least 16.00pm: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224908627525900&notif_t=event_invite
- Bristol on Thursday, 11.00am to 13.00pm
- Liverpool on Friday at 11.30am
- Newcastle on Friday, 15.00pm to 18.00pm: http://www.solfed.org.uk/?q=newcastle-picket-of-office-angels
- Brighton Solidarity Federation may be picketing again this Friday, email brightonsolfed [@] googlemail.com to find out more.
- Northampton Solidarity Federation will also be picketing Office Angels again this week, but dates, etc. to be confirmed.

mons
May 10 2011 21:35

Article here

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 10 2011 21:55

PM me if you'd like a demand letter to be given to the manager at your local OA/Adecco branch. It's got all the relevant details.

syndicalist
May 10 2011 23:04
Quote:
To: wimbledon@office-angels.com; sophie.rodrigues@office-angels.com; donna.jones@office-angels.com; claire.stradling@office-angels.com; julie.davy@office-angels.com
Subject: Pay Dan his wages!
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 23:00:24 +0000

Dear Sir or Madam,

The Workers Solidarity Alliance (W.S.A.) would like to express our dissatisfaction
with the treatment of one of your workers, who has been declined the
payout of his wage for two days of work.

We find this behavior unacceptable and demand that you pay what you
owe immediately. Until then we will continue to inform people about
your shameful practices.

Very truly yours,

Mike Harris

Mike Harris
Corresponding Secretary

WORKERS SOLIDARITY ALLIANCE (WSA)
339 Lafayette Street-Room 202 New York, NY 10012, USA