Solidarity calls and emails for Office Angels dispute

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Apr 19 2011 16:56
Solidarity calls and emails for Office Angels dispute

Please forward/translate and distribute widely!

Solidarity Federation are organising a campaign against this agency after an ex-employee asked for our assistance. Dan worked for Office Angels for three days in December of last year. He was assured by the company that the lack of a time-sheet would 'not be a problem'. However, Office Angels are refusing to pay him the wages he is owed - falsely claiming he only worked for one day, despite them having called him at work on his third day. After completely ripping him off, they had the nerve to harass him for seeking advice on an internet discussion forum.

We are asking for our supporters and comrades across the globe to show solidarity with this campaign by phoning and emailing complaints on Wednesday 20th April to the branch that Dan was working for. The details are below:

Phone: 020 8542 6688 (international calls dial +4420 8542 6688)

Emails: wimbledon@office-angels.com

Temporary workers face similar unacceptable conditions every day. They work without sick pay or maternity leave, are vulnerable to unfair and instant dismissals and have no union support. Rising unemployment and a bleak economic climate will force even more of us to accept these precarious conditions - yet another example of working class people being exploited by an economic system that only benefits the rich.

The best way to improve our conditions at work and in our communities is by standing together and resisting. We want to hear from any current or previous Office Angels employees that have come into conflict with this company and its culture of disrespect. We know that this is not an isolated incident and the more people get involved, the more pressure we can put on the company to start treating its workers properly.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 20 2011 00:36

Bump

Mike Harman
Apr 20 2011 08:04

Is there a template for this?

Do we just call him 'Dan'?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 20 2011 10:09

Bump.

Nadia
Apr 20 2011 10:54

thanks for the info, and next time please tell us in advance! smile

we've made a short article about the problem in Slovak (see here: http://www.priamaakcia.sk/Podpor-zamestnanca-v-boji-o-nevyplatenu-mzdu.html) and called on people to send e-mails.

Hopefully the picket will go well, in any case let us know afterwards. good luck!

T La Palli
Apr 20 2011 11:32

I've called a few times. They are definitely getting cheesed-off with this. Give them a call if you can.

Ed's picture
Ed
Apr 20 2011 14:14

Yo, so how's it going? Sent a shitload of emails, wish I could call but international rates are massive on a mobile.. sad

Mike Harman
Apr 20 2011 15:24

Skype.

syndicalist
Apr 20 2011 19:45
Quote:
To: wimbledon@office-angels.com
Subject: We support Office Angels workers!
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:44:00 +0000

Dear Office Angels,

The North American Workers Solidarity Alliance (WSA) stands in support of Dan and all Office Angels workers in their effort to gain better conditions of employment.

Very truly yours,
Mike Harris
W.S.A. Corresponding Secretary

W.S.A.
339 Lafayette Street-Room 202
New York, NY 10012, USA

Between Your Teeth's picture
Between Your Teeth
Apr 20 2011 21:30

hey solfed! you might want to flag up your own leaflet:

http://www.solfed.org.uk/sites/default/files/uploads/officedevilsv2.pdf

any response from office angels yet? if this needs to be escalated then i know Bristol IWW and Nottingham AF are looking to get involved. Co-ordinated day of action?

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Apr 20 2011 22:16

Sent a few emails this morning from different accounts. Best of luck and solidarity!

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 20 2011 22:57

Picket went great! Dan had contact from Office Angels (before the picket even began!) where they said they were "definitely" going to pay him. However, the money's not in the account yet, so the pressure will be kept up until we get a result.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 21 2011 01:44
Between Your Teeth wrote:
any response from office angels yet? if this needs to be escalated then i know Bristol IWW and Nottingham AF are looking to get involved. Co-ordinated day of action?

sounds like we may have a victory, but if not i'd imagine solidarity and a co-ordinated campaign are on the cards. even if we win, it might be worth considering an informational campaign, as this is unlikely to be an isolated incident.

MT
Apr 21 2011 08:25

great to hear that! OA have been receiving e-mails from the form Priama akcia prepared http://www.priamaakcia.sk/index.php?action=soliMail&soliMail_id=16 (anyone can use it anywhere in the world, you can switch between 4 languages) since yesterday noon. until SF say to deactivate it, anyone can keep sending!

oh, and really, next time at least 48 hours notice, less than 24 is a killer;)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 21 2011 08:57

Yeah, hope this works out, nice one everyone

Matt_efc
Apr 24 2011 21:00

I know theres an office angels in Manchester, and I've been meaning to contact manchester SF for a while. Are there any members on here?

Yorkie Bar
Apr 25 2011 06:43
Quote:
Here's a photo of the fourth in Leeds yesterday.

Big up the Leeds!

We're reprinting the appeal/leaflet in May's Resistance by the way. Is there a contact email or anything for other people who've got grievances to get in touch, or should we say to use the contact form on the solfed site?

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Apr 25 2011 09:12

Any more pickets planned in London soon?

MT
Apr 25 2011 09:19

It is interesting how many people here are able to talk day and night but basically no-one reacts to calls for solidarity. I may be wrong that people use their own emails instead of pre-prepared e-mail forms, but I can't escape the impression that libcom is in fact hardly a place to get people to action, even if it as simple as few clicks. Honestly, how many of you have supported campaigns against OTTO agency, Office Angels or USI-Rome? No need to answer here, it is rather a rhetorical question.

Or is it about "a protest e-mail or fax makes no sense" attitude? If so, it would be fine to split this debate later. If it is not, then I really don't understand why there is such a low/zero response from libcomers.

Sir Arthur Stre...
Apr 25 2011 10:12

MT, how do you know how many of us sent an email or phone call?

I sent 5 emails btw, i would have phoned but didn't see the call out till late.

MT
Apr 25 2011 10:20

As I said "I may be wrong that people use their own emails instead of pre-prepared e-mail forms". Obviously, I judge based upon the e-mail forms which are made to make things easier. But if people prefer sending protest e-mails from their own accounts I only can say - perfect!wink

Mike Harman
Apr 25 2011 11:18

I sent two e-mails from my own account and made one phone call (although the phone rang off).

Quote:
Or is it about "a protest e-mail or fax makes no sense" attitude?

I do have this attitude for some things but it depends what it is - in this case I can't imagine it will take that much pressure to get Dan's wages paid, and the e-mail/phone/fax was combined with a physical picket.

MT
Apr 25 2011 11:45

one note: my point was wider and related to OTTO and USI cases which are international. I feel the concrete international solidarity (not writing articles...) is very lacking on libcom and I think I am not the only one who has noticed this (perhaps because I am not from US or UK). although there is a lot of info on international matters, when it comes to showing a small act of solidarity... well...

Yorkie Bar
Apr 25 2011 11:55
Quote:
is it about "a protest e-mail or fax makes no sense" attitude?

I got the impression that the aim here was to put pressure on them by harassing them with constant calls/emails rather than the principle that if enough people voice their support they are actually going to be won over. It's not really the same as, say, getting everyone to write to David Cameron and hoping he heeds the voice of the people a la 38 degrees.

syndicalist
Apr 25 2011 13:09
MT wrote:
one note: my point was wider and related to OTTO and USI cases which are international. I feel the concrete international solidarity (not writing articles...) is very lacking on libcom and I think I am not the only one who has noticed this (perhaps because I am not from US or UK). although there is a lot of info on international matters, when it comes to showing a small act of solidarity... well...

I'm curious why you think this may be so? I'm in the US, tend to be fairly internationalist in orientation, but think some of the IWA-oriented stuff "gets lost" on folks. I could prolly speculate (some simple lack of info., some political, some lack of interest in IWA stuff), but that's all it would be.

If I didn't read Libcom and other sites, I'd prolly be clueless on a number of struggles, events, etc. ...or certainly until after the fact. Years ago organizations used to do Press Releases, Action Releases and so forth to folks they wanted to reach. I would think in this day and age of instant technology, such calls for action, etc. can be done with little effort....just a bit of time.

Sorry, what was the USI case?

Harrison
Apr 25 2011 13:27
MT wrote:
I can't escape the impression that libcom is in fact hardly a place to get people to action, even if it as simple as few clicks.

its the nature of the internet innit. also i reckon on the whole the kind of anarchists who use libcom are the less (physically) active ones. there must be loads of anarchists who aren't forum users, but do much more shit. the main useful thing is that it can stop anarchists completely drifting away from politics....

btw. if any1 is interested in some DDoS solidarity against office angels,
here is a template that was used against the greek state for the hunger strike
http://www.mediafire.com/?ms3f2dmbdi0i0wh
it needs to have some parameters adjusted so that it 'targets' them, and we would all need to set a date and time to run it. would be good if libcom could give it some front page goodness for about a week so that we get enough people to have an effect.
we actually got the greek police force's web down for a couple of hours.
its a javascript thing that runs in a browser, and requires literally just opening.

is anyone interested in doing this?

syndicalist
Apr 25 2011 13:38
Harrison Myers wrote:
MT wrote:
I can't escape the impression that libcom is in fact hardly a place to get people to action, even if it as simple as few clicks.

its the nature of the internet innit. also i reckon on the whole the kind of anarchists who use libcom are the less (physically) active ones.

Actually comrade, I would somewhat take a different tack.

Libcom (and other sites) allow those of us with limited ability (for whatever reasons) to be out on the streets, so to speak, to get information to others. Sort of a relay of information. Would I bet all my resouces on the internet as a complete mobilization/info sharing tool, no, but an important one when used well.

Harrison
Apr 25 2011 14:08

actually, i can't seem to edit my previous post, but that script is not a DDoS, but it has a similiar effect that helps to bring sites down.

Mike Harman
Apr 25 2011 15:09
Yorkie Bar wrote:
Quote:
is it about "a protest e-mail or fax makes no sense" attitude?

I got the impression that the aim here was to put pressure on them by harassing them with constant calls/emails

This too - the only thing that seemed intended here was they got a sufficient number of e-mails and phone calls to annoy them - there is a difference between solidarity e-mails of this kind, and ones that are actually petitioning.

MT
Apr 25 2011 17:12

I am not sure I understand what you say, folks. OTTO campaign and OA campaign is a multi"front" attack on the company including physical actions in the offices, writing articles and sending emails/faxes etc. The aim is simple - we are fucking here and you won't stop us annoying you until you give in, and you can see we are watching you internationally.

I guess some do not take part because they don't sign petitions. But this is something completely different, and i believe that most of the usual libcom readers are very well aware of that, as both campaigns got some publicity here.

USI case is little bit different but also very important as the fucking Rome scabbing scum should hear internationally they are plain fucking scum!

And I've started this issue because I know that dozens if not hundreds of people read libcom every day and I would expect it is not just their egotripping or information hunting why they visit this site, but they are in their real lives activists (meaning acting in solidarity with workers that they know need help). And I have seen many times the debate is very UK/US oriented which is natural because it is the native language of most of the viewers, but when there is no response to actions outside UK/US, it makes me feel very strange, like WTF is this portal about then when the KEY issue - (international) solidarity - is only discussed here and not "being done"?! Then put it clearly in the header that this is UK/US oriented, so people are not confused and alienated or I don't know.

Again, these are my impressions as someone whose native language is not English and who lives outside US/UK. I don't want to generalize and I know some do not use those e-mail forms but rather use own e-mail accounts but I bet majority doesn't do none of these.

Anyway, to gather the e-mail forms, here they are:
OFFICE ANGELS: http://www.priamaakcia.sk/index.php?action=soliMail&soliMail_id=16
OTTO WORKFORCE: http://otto.zsp.net.pl/send-protest-emails-to-otto/email/ (specific case) and http://www.priamaakcia.sk/index.php?action=soliMail&soliMail_id=15 (general campaign)
USI: http://www.priamaakcia.sk/index.php?action=soliMail&soliMail_id=17

I can add the forums these links appeared in for more background, if someone wants.

akai
Apr 25 2011 16:30

Have to agree with you there.
I don't think that the failure to respond en-masse to international solidarity calls is something limited to Libcom, but it is a problem. Further, there is still a tendency towards showing solidarity only in the spectacular cases (arrests, etc.) not in day-to-day struggles. Further, it seems to me that some people have a barrier to what they want to process from the international information - the more abstract or theoretical the better, with practical work taking a back seat. I am not surprised that Libcom is not a more widely used resource and unfortunately this type of work just moves elsewhere.