Workers Struggle in China

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
playinghob's picture
playinghob
Sep 27 2010 19:22
Workers Struggle in China

Saturday 9th October, 5pm: venue Housmans Bookshop London

A discussion on the implications of the growing confidence amongst Chinese workers to struggle for better conditions, against the wishes of the Communist Party and their attempts to control trade unionism. Hosted by the French group,
Mouvement Communiste.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 27 2010 22:40

what's the deal with M. C. hosting stuff at Housman's? has one of them moved to London or something?

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Oct 1 2010 20:09
Steven. wrote:
what's the deal with M. C. hosting stuff at Housman's?

They are true internationalists and know no borders. Bravo!

And M.C. is not only a French group because it has comrades throughout Europe (although the comrade who will be speaking is from France).

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Oct 1 2010 22:11

Comrades in London asked me to post the entire announcement:

Quote:
A new era of worker’s struggles in China?
- the summer strike wave in perspective

Union officials (in yellow hats!) attack strikers, Honda Auto Parts Manufacturing Co., Foshan City, Guangdong Province, 1 June 2010

The wave of strikes in the coastal cities of China this summer - beginning at Honda but then spreading to other car plants (e.g. Toyota) and on to other industries - seems to represent a qualitative break with the past. Collective struggle by workers has been rising steadily since the mid-90s, but almost all the disputes have been confined to single enterprises and have usually been in protest against unlawful actions by the bosses (e.g. unpaid wages or pensions).

In contrast, the recent strikes have spread across workplaces and have involved "offensive" demands for higher wages, as well as for the right for workers to elect their own representatives in negotiations. Is this the beginning of a new, more militant, era for workers in China? And what does it mean for workers in the rest of the world?

A speaker from Mouvement Communiste in France sets out some facts and invites us to try to answer these questions.

www.mouvement-communiste.com

Housmans Bookshop, 5 Caledonian Road, London N1 9DX

Saturday 9 October, 5 p.m.

playinghob's picture
playinghob
Oct 1 2010 20:31

Original post taken from Housmans Newsletter and not website - sorry - thanks for that H. It seems unusual to me that London based comrades should ask you in America to do this for them. Dare I ask why they couldnt do it themselves? They obviously have a peek at libcom or they wouldnt have known that the abridged announcement was posted. Just wondered.

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Oct 1 2010 22:16

Yeah, playinghob, good point.

I got a brief e-mail from a comrade in London asking me to post it -- I guess he's too busy at his IT job to get around to doing it himself. I agree it's pretty strange. But maybe not since my comrades in the States have been close to M.C.

And the London comrade did mention that the Houseman's blurb was truncated.

guadia
Oct 9 2010 07:12

today!

Spikymike
Oct 9 2010 14:09

Are any Libcom types going to this who could provide some feedback or english language MC notes link?