University/higher ed AUT and NATFHE strike on 7th of March 2006

Submitted by JDMF on February 23, 2006

This was mentioned on anorher thread already, but just in case there are people involved in this in one way or another, lets start a dedicated thread about it!

University lecturers and academic related staff from AUT and NAFTE unions are about to go on strike on 7th of March.
http://www.aut.org.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1527

Here are some background stuff on the press:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1714057,00.html
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1713985,00.html

Some comms from solfeds Education Workers Network were thinking of producing some material for the strike to hand out. This is not ready yet, but would include much wider range of subjects than what the strike is about, inlcuding anarcho-syndicalist positions on things like having education workers split into 7 different unions etc.

I will keep this thread updated as new info comes through!

Admin - this thread has been locked to preserve it, archived. If you would like to add any information to it please contact us and we can unlock it for you. - Apr 2007

Steven.

18 years 1 month ago

In reply to by libcom.org

Submitted by Steven. on February 23, 2006

Hmmm my bosses will both be out for that I guess, I'll be off work then so I'll miss it, which is annoying. Cos I guess I could've probably not crossed picket lines and still got paid. Still, I'll ask about it...

Steve

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steve on February 23, 2006

If you get some stuff done can you email it to [email protected] and we'll print some off. I'm coming down to Manchester next monday for a DA meeting. A-M in Preston is on strike next week and then refusing to mark assigments. (Actually what happens is that lecturers mark the assignments but refuse to give the university the marks)

Some lawyer in Preston is going round advising students to sue lecturers for not marking their work. Twat!

OliverTwister

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by OliverTwister on February 23, 2006

Students need to strike too!

Scumbag lawyers (down here pronounced "liars") are no different than scabs...

Jacques Roux

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Jacques Roux on February 23, 2006

Hmm i thought it was later than March. There was quite a good piece or 2 in London Student about it last week. Term will have finished for me by then anyway.

JDMF

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by JDMF on February 23, 2006

honestly, if any of you students could pop by the picket lines i'm sure the folks would appreciate it loads.

And if we get the leaflet done before that if you could give those out to students, strikers, other uni staff 8)

(need to get it done, printed and sent off though first)

Sorry.

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Sorry. on February 24, 2006

hah, was supposed to be doing an introduction for a seminar that day. Wonder if I'll have to tell the tutor to go fuck himself...

IanB

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by IanB on February 24, 2006

A few of us from Edinburgh uni were talking about this in the pub tonight and will be at the picket lines and are trying to organise a rally of support. We're also going to be doing leafletting and postering to raise awareness among students about why there's a strike and why the students should fully support it etc...

Then again an offer might be made and there will be no industrial action.

ticking_fool

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by ticking_fool on February 24, 2006

Some comms from solfeds Education Workers Network were thinking of producing some material for the strike to hand out.

I'd love some of those - I'll help out with them if you need it. I'm going to be picketing somewhere (not sure where yet, I work in two different universities) and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'boo-hoo we're not paid as much as doctors and lawyers' leaflets. The strike's about a lot more than that, and most of the yes vote (as far as I can see from talking to people I work with) was motivated by workloads and being generally pissed off at management, but if the public face of it is a bunch of relatively well paid people complaining about how badly paid they are then I can't see it going down all that well - especially with students living off about 5 grand a year.

jef costello

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 25, 2006

Didn't they threaten to strike 2/3 years ago and then completely caved without a hint of a fight?

I didn't realise this was only for academics, that'll explain why I haven't head anything about it.

JDMF

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by JDMF on February 25, 2006

Jef Costello

Didn't they threaten to strike 2/3 years ago and then completely caved without a hint of a fight?

I didn't realise this was only for academics, that'll explain why I haven't head anything about it.

it is all academic related staff which also contains people like me who are in the support staff (IT support) - though funny enough about half of the IT support is technical grade, which means they are Unison members and not taking part to the strike.

We had a two day strike two years ago, which at least in my neck of the woods was really well attended, so i dont think it is the same event you refer to, unless it flopped in your location?

Refused

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Refused on February 25, 2006

I would come by but I'll be in Blackpool and I can't strike in solidarity because of the nature of my job. Well, I could, but I won't. But still, I'll be there in spirit. Refused Party Program spirit.

JDMF

18 years 1 month ago

ticking_fool

I'd love some of those - I'll help out with them if you need it. I'm going to be picketing somewhere (not sure where yet, I work in two different universities) and I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'boo-hoo we're not paid as much as doctors and lawyers' leaflets.

very true mate. Also, the leaflets that AUT usually produce only talk about academics and lecturers and support staff is left out.

The strike's about a lot more than that, and most of the yes vote (as far as I can see from talking to people I work with) was motivated by workloads and being generally pissed off at management, but if the public face of it is a bunch of relatively well paid people complaining about how badly paid they are then I can't see it going down all that well - especially with students living off about 5 grand a year.

exactly, but to take all the issues concerning education these days would make the strike too political, which is why it would be great if we could get some material of our own out there.

JDMF

18 years 1 month ago

IanB

A few of us from Edinburgh uni were talking about this in the pub tonight and will be at the picket lines and are trying to organise a rally of support. We're also going to be doing leafletting and postering to raise awareness among students about why there's a strike and why the students should fully support it etc...

this is exellent mate.

Sorry. - i think your school has always had a good turnout for this kind of things, so i think you'll be ok ;) Come to the pickets & the rally mate!

refused - you scab :D Nah, this strike doesn't even cover all the uni staff - just those on academic related pay scale - actually not even all those, because some of them are in Amicus :roll: Its so stupid its unbelievable...

Alan, it has definitely been quiet, most of the staff dont know about the strike either!!!

jef costello

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 25, 2006

I thought scabbing was doing the work of strikers.

If they can be arsed to do pickets at work then I might not cross them.

I'd like to see them striking in support of people on clerical grades like myself.

jef costello

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 26, 2006

ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace, or if I have to do it at both. It won't do much good but it should stop me getting sacked if I show solidarity.

Rob Ray

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on February 26, 2006

Alan, it has definitely been quiet, most of the staff dont know about the strike either!!!

Aw but they put it up on the website and everything...

Hopefully we'll be getting a piece in for the regional site a some point, tis also a good idea to send letters to mainstream papers this week as individuals involved in the strike attacking (edit: the university/college) and saying that there is gonna be a strike, cos it usually takes a couple days to go through the proper channels and get put in the event diaries for coverage (though obviously save your choicest quotes and most ineteresting info for any radical regional press that's about, give em a boost in the eyes of the public like :wink:)

Rob Ray

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on February 26, 2006

a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go

Students in not turning up for lectures shocker :wink:. Some of the lot at Suffolk college struck last year but there were a lot of scabs, we had someone down to cover it for easf who got told the student union was a pile of shite and refused to support them, which made quite a lot of difference in terms of impact.

Mike Harman

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on February 26, 2006

Jef Costello

ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace,

If it's the same union (UNISON?) at both workplaces you'll only have to join it once, but make sure you set up a standing order instead of them both taking dues out of your wages.

Steven.

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 26, 2006

Catch

Jef Costello

ok

I won't cross a picket.

I'm also going to join the union, I'm just not sure at which workplace,

If it's the same union (UNISON?) at both workplaces you'll only have to join it once, but make sure you set up a standing order instead of them both taking dues out of your wages.

I did that on principle, but now think it'd be best to have it taken from wages from a practical pov cos if my account's empty I'll get charged £30...

JDMF

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by JDMF on February 26, 2006

Jack

AUT had a 2 day strike 18 months ago. UNISON and NATFE were cunts, and didn't support it. The result - AUT universities (basically old unis) got a much better deal, altho it kinda split the workforce. At my uni it was pretty solid tho, and UNISON members wouldn't cross picket lines.

I did a load of work on it on the 2 days, and the staff REALLY appreciated it. Even just going between the various picket lines, bringing coffee, food and encouragement was really well recieved (remember it's March and fucking cold!).

Other things we did were standing outside the main lecture building with a leaflet we'd made aimed at students, asking them not to attend scab lectures - and a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go. We also tried to get students to give scab lecturers shit - one of the best bits for me was when I thought some student had just ignored us, and was kinda pissed off - then 2 minutes later, we heard some shouting in the lecturer hall, and he came out with a bunch of other students in tow he'd dragged out. :D

People also put up 'lectures cancelled' signs all over outside classrooms and lecture halls, which a lot of people read and just left.

Then on the second day, we occupied the Vice Chancellors suite (the VC at our uni was head of the association of VC's, and had made a lot of anti-strike comments). Which was a load of balls, but actually quite good fun, 'cause it was a plush executive style boardroom. :D

thats beautiful stuff man, i would have been exited through the roof had some students done that over here :rb:

...instead we got SWP students selling us papers, and the front cover said "LECTURERS SHOW THEIR POWER", LOL! :D

Sorry.

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Sorry. on February 26, 2006

JDMF

Sorry. - i think your school has always had a good turnout for this kind of things, so i think you'll be ok ;) Come to the pickets & the rally mate!

Course, you can count on it!

(sorry, I didn't reply to your email btw, my hard drive got fried recently and I lost your address)

jef costello

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by jef costello on February 26, 2006

Steven.

I did that on principle, but now think it'd be best to have it taken from wages from a practical pov cos if my account's empty I'll get charged £30...

Call the bank and get them to refund the charge. You also get to talk to irish girls with lovely accents. Seriously though you can talk your way out of overdraft/late payment fees etc if you call them up. I do it every time.

I think Catch's point was more so that I only paid once rather than twice. Plus if they take it direct they'll get a cut of my overtime.

Mike Harman

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on February 26, 2006

Jef Costello

I think Catch's point was more so that I only paid once rather than twice.

yep.

Refused

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Refused on February 26, 2006

Jack

JDMF

...instead we got SWP students selling us papers, and the front cover said "LECTURERS SHOW THEIR POWER", LOL! :D

Hahaha, cantdo went mental when the SWP came along in the middle of the occupation. :D

OH man. I wish I could have been there. :D

Caiman del Barrio

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on February 26, 2006

Jack

Jef Costello

AUT had a 2 day strike 18 months ago. UNISON and NATFE were cunts, and didn't support it. The result - AUT universities (basically old unis) got a much better deal, altho it kinda split the workforce. At my uni it was pretty solid tho, and UNISON members wouldn't cross picket lines.

I did a load of work on it on the 2 days, and the staff REALLY appreciated it. Even just going between the various picket lines, bringing coffee, food and encouragement was really well recieved (remember it's March and fucking cold!).

Other things we did were standing outside the main lecture building with a leaflet we'd made aimed at students, asking them not to attend scab lectures - and a large number of those who got one and we talked to agreed and didn't go. We also tried to get students to give scab lecturers shit - one of the best bits for me was when I thought some student had just ignored us, and was kinda pissed off - then 2 minutes later, we heard some shouting in the lecturer hall, and he came out with a bunch of other students in tow he'd dragged out. :D

People also put up 'lectures cancelled' signs all over outside classrooms and lecture halls, which a lot of people read and just left.

Then on the second day, we occupied the Vice Chancellors suite (the VC at our uni was head of the association of VC's, and had made a lot of anti-strike comments). Which was a load of balls, but actually quite good fun, 'cause it was a plush executive style boardroom. :D

That day was AWESOME.

Is it worth trying to organise students round here?? Other than the acquaintances I've made via this site, I don't know any "radical"/leftie students (I know two Respect types but they're just confused students). I'd be up for it...even if does mean missing a seminar on Jamon Jamon.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years 1 month ago

I knew the answer was yes, I just needed some encouragement. 8)

I like the idea of "LECTURE CANCELLED" signs, that's easy enough to do...even if Goldsmiths' campus takes up about half of South London.

I think the problem with our occupation was that it was purely symbolic. If there was a possibility of disrupting scabbers on campus I'd be all for it.

*Runs off to London forum to start thread*

Caiman del Barrio

18 years 1 month ago

Jack

Just don't hysterically shirek SCAB at any student that goes to a lecture. :P

Find out which staff are the SUT activists, and have a chat with them, then do a leaflet aimed at students, and get people handing them out trying to persuade people not to go to lectures.

Do you mean AUT??

Why not anything more confrontational than that??

Steven.

18 years 1 month ago

Submitted by Steven. on February 27, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Jack

Just don't hysterically shirek SCAB at any student that goes to a lecture. :P

Find out which staff are the SUT activists, and have a chat with them, then do a leaflet aimed at students, and get people handing them out trying to persuade people not to go to lectures.

Do you mean AUT??

Why not anything more confrontational than that??

Whatever you do you should make sure you take the lead from the strikers, or get it OKed by them - or at least some strikers you're in contact with.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 3, 2006

Ok looks like we're gonna do some leafleting on Tuesday morning outside college and some postering in between now and then. Some friends of mine have promised to come with to the pickets on Tuesday, where we can chat to the strikers and see what they think.

What issues are there, other than the 30% thing?? I'm curious.

BB

18 years ago

Submitted by BB on March 3, 2006

According to the southeast AUT regional organiser, nothings happening at city college brighton as it's further rather than higher ed (Industrial union anyone!) although the members there are NATFHE.

The local students union, Union Council have said that all there local offices will be open to keep students informed of what's going on. :roll:

I thought maybe a show of solidarity on the picket line with the striking lecturers might have been more usefull to inform students, but hey what do i know...

davethemagicweasel

18 years ago

Submitted by davethemagicweasel on March 4, 2006

I'm planning on supporting the pickets here at Birmingahm Uni.

If anyone's produced any anarchist leaflets to give students on the strike then I'd really appreciate it if they could email me a copy.

Spartacus

18 years ago

Submitted by Spartacus on March 4, 2006

my spanish lecturers are ace, they sent an email around saying they'd be going on strike and wouldn't make up any of the work because that would go against the principle of the strike, and attached a leaflet from the union. but then she is from barcelona...

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Submitted by Lazy Riser on March 4, 2006

Hi

my spanish lecturers are ace, they sent an email around saying they'd be going on strike and wouldn't make up any of the work because that would go against the principle of the strike, and attached a leaflet from the union. but then she is from barcelona...

I hope you’re going to ask for a refund of tuition fees.

Love

LR

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 4, 2006

i'm afraid we could not get the finger out in time to produce the text :( Sorry everyone...

We should have tried collective text writing here on this forum to get something done ;)

Local agitation has been going a bit better - i am still a bit lost on the official reasons why the strike is going ahead, but that doesnt really matter. There is a lot of dissatisfaction among the workers and it has been a good way to discuss broader issues as well, namely continuing commericalisation of education, privatisation, outsourcing, casualisation etc.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 4, 2006

GenerationTerrorist

My Spanish Lit and Culture seminar leader said the exact thing, and she's also Catalonian. It's kinda annoying that there's an assessment strike from Wednesday onwards when I'm busting my ass trying to write an essay for her for Monday.

RE: leaflets. Enelpozo's converted some text I wrote into an incredibly pithy and eyecatching A5 leaflet. PM me if you want one. It's specific to Goldsmiths, but you'll probably only have to change about two words to make it relevant to your college, and of course you can fuck around with it as much as you like.

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 4, 2006

Apparently my department observes the strikes religiously.

I'll go to the picket but I do need to go to work as well, if only to refuse to cross picket lines :)

is the text for your A5 the one you posted earlier Alan? If its formatted for A5 then I'll have a copy if you don't mind.

I might email my lecturer to find out if they'll actually be a fucking picket.

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 6, 2006

This has just been forwarded to me from a NAFTHE member

Intimidation by employers backfires as hundreds more join the union

In a desperate effort to dissuade members from joining the action, employers have tried to intimidate NATFHE members by asking them to sign a form in advance of the action - stating that they will be on strike on 7th March. Members have recognised that there is no legal requirement for advance notice of action to be given by individuals. The union has informed each employer of the number of members affected and there is no need for individuals to sign any notification to their employer in advance.

I presume it was sent round on a NATFHE mailing list

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 6, 2006

Jef Costello

is the text for your A5 the one you posted earlier Alan? If its formatted for A5 then I'll have a copy if you don't mind

It's slightly different...Enelpozo improved it several times over. PM me your email address.

WeTheYouth

18 years ago

Submitted by WeTheYouth on March 6, 2006

http://www.wmanarchists.org/strike2.pub

Coudl comrades take a look and tell us what you think, also could comrades tell me how to convert it to pdf. or if your really nice do it for me??

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 6, 2006

You probably need to download Adobe Acrobat - not reader, the full version. You should be able to get a cracked torrent or p2p download with keygen easily... I can't read .pub formats...

Rob Ray

18 years ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on March 6, 2006

Also primo pdf can convert em, which is a free thing you can google, installs to your printer and makes the pdf by 'printing' the file.

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 6, 2006

great work mate. Lets get a PDF version (with the www.ewn.org.uk URL in the bottom) of this up and people can start printing them off.

Sorry folks for leaving this so late, anarchists eh :roll: ;)

I'll try to get the ewn web site rewamped tonight if i get hold of the passwords...

Does newswire need an article about this? Could write one after tomorrows strike and march (perhaps get a photo as well with some red and black in the background ;) ).

Everyone taking part tomorrow: good luck and hope you have a great day! Our local one has been patchy in level of organising with some faculties and central admin units participating more strongly than others. Mine is not too bad, but with some time and better material could have done better in getting more people out and to join the union.

Anyways, have a great day tomorrow folks!

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 6, 2006

JDMF

Does newswire need an article about this? Could write one after tomorrows strike and march (perhaps get a photo as well with some red and black in the background ;) ).

that would be grand!

JDMF

18 years ago

This one jointly from AUT, NATFHE, EIS and NUS is much better than the stuff i've seen so far:

http://www.aut.org.uk/media/pdf/m/k/pay_jointstatement_final.pdf

WeTheYouth

18 years ago

Submitted by WeTheYouth on March 6, 2006

http://www.wmanarchists.org/strike2.pdf

pdf version.

Sorry i didnt put ewn.org.uk on the front JDMF if you still want me to do it then i will do.

JDMF

18 years ago

WeTheYouth

Sorry i didnt put ewn.org.uk on the front JDMF if you still want me to do it then i will do.

nah dont worry about it mate, didn't get the passwords for the site anyway and it doesn't look very good at the moment :D

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 7, 2006

Shame I'm off sick today, cos I might've been able to refuse to cross the lines. And can't visit them either cos my managers are all AUT, and I imagine if I can stand on picket lines I can be in work!

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 7, 2006

ok, just got back from the rally. Police charged into us, but we fought back and suddenly they were flanked by the history department lecturers from the right, and Manchester Computing analysists from the left - the filth had no chance and many were hospitalised, especially after the clinical trials unit academics were done with them.

While i would not call it a major blow against the capital, the day turned out better than originally feared. The weather was awful, which automatically cuts back the number of pickets by atleast 20%. Anyways, we got all major entrances of all uni buildings covered (believe me, there are bloody dozens of these to cover!), perhaps about 100 strikers in total turned up, majority of the strikers staying away, and many non-union workers choosing to take a day off. Loads crossed the picket lines though...

Students had few dozen supporters out, which was great to see, even the odd anarchist walked by ;) Though mainly it was students from Revo and SWP.

As always, all kinds of politics were discussed at the picket lines and unions got their fair share of shite for cocking things up. Some unison members hecked some pickets - divide and rule seems to be working just fine :(

I'll get something written for the newswire now :rb:

Steven.

18 years ago

JDMF

ok, just got back from the rally. Police charged into us, but we fought back and suddenly they were flanked by the history department lecturers from the right, and Manchester Computing analysists from the left - the filth had no chance and many were hospitalised, especially after the clinical trials unit academics were done with them.

:D

And that was before the Archivists even turned up I bet :bb:

Cheers for the report JDMF. When you say heckling, do you mean arguing with on the lines? At your place are a lot of AUT members Unison members' managers? It's fucking annoying the unions didn't all make claims together, cos most of them have got ongoing disputes right now, it's so stupid.

Jacques Roux

18 years ago

Submitted by Jacques Roux on March 7, 2006

Steven.

Shame I'm off sick today, cos I might've been able to refuse to cross the lines.

You'd have to imagine pretend picket lines first!

Steven.

18 years ago

rkn

Steven.

Shame I'm off sick today, cos I might've been able to refuse to cross the lines.

You'd have to imagine pretend picket lines first!

Ah. TBH that doesn't surprise me... JDMF's place having so many does though. Ah those Northerners. Bloody southern pansies don't know class struggle.

Jacques Roux

18 years ago

Submitted by Jacques Roux on March 7, 2006

Yeah but it would be quite funny seeing you doing a bit of street theatre with an invisible picket ;)

JDMF

18 years ago

Steven.

Ah those Northerners. Bloody southern pansies don't know class struggle.

seems like more north you go the better it gets!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4779654.stm

JDMF

18 years ago

Steven.

When you say heckling, do you mean arguing with on the lines?

this was just couple isolated incidences and didn't happen in my posts, but basically we (AUT) have an interim pay agreement because of the strike action we took two years back. Unison bottled out of the strike and didn't join it and as a consequence they do not have a pay agreement and have seen their conditions deteriorate.

This is the official line you get from AUT hacks - dont know how true it is.

Anyways, we in AUT should show more solidarity to the much worse paid Unison staff, this bickering and dividing of staff into smaller units is just fucking silly!

At your place are a lot of AUT members Unison members' managers?

yeah its possible, especially among admin staff, and some IT staff as well, but not that common any more.

When the new union is formed following the merger between AUT and NATFHE, which will be called UCU - univeristies and colleges union - it will no doubt attract many ex-unison people to join up as well.

Ramona

18 years ago

Submitted by Ramona on March 7, 2006

Goldsmiths wasn't bad, although Alan probably saw more of what was actually going on as I pretty much stayed at the front entrance for the morning. The place was deserted, but people who did turn up were hard to persuade otherwise. Art students didn't like being asked not to go to their studios for the day, and other people took the leaflets, seemed interested and then walked on regardless - I think people just don't actually get the concept of a picket line...

Anyway, I think Alan, Tommy Ascaso, Jason and I did a fairly good job of actually going and being useful and talking to the strikers etc, rather than just hanging out being lefties and staring at them. Speaking of lefties - a shocking lack of swprespect presense today...

Steven.

18 years ago

JDMF

Steven.

When you say heckling, do you mean arguing with on the lines?

Anyways, we in AUT should show more solidarity to the much worse paid Unison staff, this bickering and dividing of staff into smaller units is just fucking silly!

Exactly - but that's exactly what a lot of anarchists "middle class" slagging plays up to, including those on here. This strike is a good example of its counter-productivity.

Do you know what the forces behind the merger are? (I.e. more industrial unionism, or more top-down bureaucracy?)

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 7, 2006

zobag

Anyway, I think Alan, Tommy Ascaso, Jason and I did a fairly good job of actually going and being useful and talking to the strikers etc, rather than just hanging out being lefties and staring at them. Speaking of lefties - a shocking lack of swprespect presense today...

Yeah I came away cautiously optimistic. None of the scenes JDMF's describing but the turnout was better than I expected and my friends and the other students there showed a real willingness to get involved, even if it was fucking freezing and pissing down. The library picket line was quite inspiring, a good number of us down there managing to persuade about half of the heavy traffic to turn away. Although some nutter from the WRP worked his ass off trying to recruit me...

We're trying to get affiliated to the SU for the photocopying and access to all the halls for next time. The lecturers were really stoked to have student support and I'm also gonna try and make links with my personal tutor (who I sense is a union militant) for next time. We need to build on this.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

zobag

Art students didn't like being asked not to go to their studios for the day

My good friend's an art student and explained to me how the entire department has an external/freelance (?) convenor all day which is crucial to their course, which was why he and others were reluctant to strike. I got the feeling that next time he'd be out though. I also think better publicity about the strike will dissuade departments from organising things for that day.

Ramona

18 years ago

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Although some nutter from the WRP worked his ass off trying to recruit me...

Ah so they were there after all...

We're trying to get affiliated to the SU for the photocopying and access to all the halls for next time.

I don't understand who you mean :confused:

The lecturers were really stoked to have student support and I'm also gonna try and make links with my personal tutor (who I sense is a union militant) for next time. We need to build on this.

Sweet 8)

Steven.

18 years ago

Good reports, Alan and zobag. This is what these forums are really best for. I'll try to find out what happened at my place next week...

JDMF

18 years ago

Steven.

Do you know what the forces behind the merger are? (I.e. more industrial unionism, or more top-down bureaucracy?)

probably savings - and pure fucking common sense! only snobbery prevented earlier merger (pah those polytechnics are not proper universities), but like one academic said on the picket line today, we are all polytechnics these days anyway, lol!

Hey really cool story from today:

the royal mail van turned back! This is no small thing - it is mail to 15 000 staff and 35 000 students, Manc Uni is huge, and thats why there is a full vanload of mail coming in often twice a day. The guy said he is not crossing any picket lines, so see you tomorrow, lol!

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

zobag

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

We're trying to get affiliated to the SU for the photocopying and access to all the halls for next time.

I don't understand who you mean :confused:

Ask Tommy Ascaso. :wink:

Ramona

18 years ago

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Why can't you tell me, wink wink?

Shut up Jack, what are you doing today? Working, like some selfish capitalist pig dog, that's what. Makes me mad :x

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Submitted by ticking_fool on March 7, 2006

Picketed Edge Hill in Ormskirk (http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/), which I'm sure none of you have heard of. Fairly poor turnout of about fifteen covered both main entrances in fucking horizontal freezing rain. I still haven't thawed out. Campus was almost deserted, although some whole departments appear to have completely ignored the strike.

Almost no student support, although we did get a bin lorry refusing to cross the line.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

zobag

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Why can't you tell me, wink wink?

Cos it's like, insurrection, man. It's all gonna snowball... :bb: :bb:

Nah seriously, something to do with GCSU supporting us meaning we get photocopying and access to all the halls to flyer. Tommy Ascaso, our very own former SU bureucrat, can tell you more.

Ramona

18 years ago

ticking_fool

Picketed Edge Hill in Ormskirk (http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/), which I'm sure none of you have heard of. Fairly poor turnout of about fifteen covered both main entrances in fucking horizontal freezing rain. I still haven't thawed out. Campus was almost deserted, although some whole departments appear to have completely ignored the strike.

Almost no student support, although we did get a bin lorry refusing to cross the line.

Kinda mixed, then? It's hard to know if the deserted campuses were because of the strike ot the rain :|

Good ol' bin men :D

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Submitted by ticking_fool on March 7, 2006

Kinda mixed, then? It's hard to know if the deserted campuses were because of the strike ot the rain

I don't know whether it's a difference between NATFHE and AUT, but smaller post 92 universities don't seem to have been covered as well. Apparently, there were no pickets at Chester (although the strike was observed by many) and I've heard nothing about Hope and John Moore's in Liverpool, all of which are mainly NATFHE. Liverpool University was covered, but that's AUT.

I suspect, that in a shocking move, most students used this as an excuse to stay at home, and possibly in bed.

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 7, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Jonty or another one?

JDMF

18 years ago

ticking_fool

I don't know whether it's a difference between NATFHE and AUT, but smaller post 92 universities don't seem to have been covered as well. Apparently, there were no pickets at Chester (although the strike was observed by many) and I've heard nothing about Hope and John Moore's in Liverpool, all of which are mainly NATFHE. Liverpool University was covered, but that's AUT.

hey good to hear you had a reasonably good day despite the challenges! Well done!

Its just sign of our times that most workers are not in union, from those who are, quite a few wont take part to industrial action, from those who take part to the strike, only fraction will turn up to the picket lines and so on.

I wrote a story to the newswire - didnt find a way to put images on it, anyways here is one from our local rally - as you can see the turnout was pretty good, though this is joint effort from manc uni and MMU

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Catch

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Jonty or another one?

I wouldn't know mate. He was old and had a beard, but that's all fucking Trots to me!!

JDMF

18 years ago

exellent, some of you lovelies made it live with the pic and all - cheers!

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/higher-education-stike-070306

Steven.

18 years ago

JDMF

Hey really cool story from today:

the royal mail van turned back! This is no small thing - it is mail to 15 000 staff and 35 000 students, Manc Uni is huge, and thats why there is a full vanload of mail coming in often twice a day. The guy said he is not crossing any picket lines, so see you tomorrow, lol!

That happened during the strike at the BFI when I was working there too. Postal workers kick ass 8)

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 7, 2006

JDMF

exellent, some of you lovelies made it live with the pic and all - cheers!

http://libcom.org/news/article.php/higher-education-stike-070306

one handed holding the baby, how's that for service eh?

(not in an irresponsible way, like).

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 9, 2006

According to the newspaper today vice principals & principals in universities have had 25% pay rises over the past three years. As usual seems there is always enough money for those at the top of the tree.

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 9, 2006

Jack

zobag

Shut up Jack, what are you doing today? Working, like some selfish capitalist pig dog, that's what. Makes me mad :x

Not just working, but today, I was OFFICIALLY working for the man.

After you went on at me not to cross pickets :x

I still haven't joined the union yet.

I don't think I'm high enough up for the AUT, I'll do Unison.

I have found out that the new staff who'll be joining us are being screwed on pay. May have to point that out to them.

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 9, 2006

Jef Costello

I still haven't joined the union yet.

I don't think I'm high enough up for the AUT, I'll do Unison.

its quite simple really in higher ed: you are on academic, or academic related pay, you join AUT/NATFHE.

You are on manual, clerical or technical grade, you join either UNISON, GMB or Amicus, depending on whats up in your workplace.

Soon though all workers in higher ed are in same pay spine, which means that this distinction disappears. Watch this space as the unions will launch organising drives to attract more members - millions of pounds worth of fees are at stake ;)

Unison in some universities are heading up for a strike soon as well, something to look out for!

I have found out that the new staff who'll be joining us are being screwed on pay. May have to point that out to them.

please do mate.

Choccy

18 years ago

Submitted by Choccy on March 9, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

wonder was it the same dude who tried to sell me their mag in the new cross inn bout 2 months ago?

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 9, 2006

Tommy Ascaso

Because it makes no difference to the college management.

The only people inconvenienced by the picket being outside the library are students, and it has cost the strikers support from some students. People use the library for all kinds of things, especially access to the internet, and this is a time when students really need to have access to those facilites. I don't think it's a lot to ask students not to attend lectures, but to ask them not to do any work at all for the whole day with only two weeks until essays are due in is a bit counter-productive.

:confused:

Tommy Ascaso - public service workers are always put in the position of having to inconvenience service users with their struggles. Since public services don't make a profit, that's how they have an impact.

AUT members will work in the library as well, like Archivists and so on.

If the strike is arranged so that no one is inconvenienced, there's no way it will win.

knightrose

18 years ago

Submitted by knightrose on March 9, 2006

Tommy Ascaso, the logic of what you're saying is that we shouldn't bother striking at all. After all, who do these kind of strikes bother? I'm a school teacher. I was on strike a couple of weeks back and will be on strike again next Tuesday. Should I picket my school?

Anway, shouldn't students be demanding extensions from the elcturers who were on strike?

Steven.

18 years ago

knightrose

Tommy Ascaso, the logic of what you're saying is that we shouldn't bother striking at all. After all, who do these kind of strikes bother? I'm a school teacher. I was on strike a couple of weeks back and will be on strike again next Tuesday. Should I picket my school?

Anway, shouldn't students be demanding extensions from the elcturers who were on strike?

Or grade allowances - that's what solidarity should mean in these kinds of cases.

Ed

18 years ago

Submitted by Ed on March 9, 2006

At last night's occupation of the library, I got talking to some Socialist Party people about what was happening around campus on the day of the strike (I'd come to London for the day so didn't see what was happening).

Apparently there were a few people picketing but it was lashing down with rain so not as many people were about for it as could've been. The most impressive thing I heard though was that bus drivers refused to drive onto campus during the strike, which was pretty impressive.

Also, some of the seminar tutors at my uni are just PhD students who are sent in to teach (associate tutors or something, my memory is a bit hazy admittedly :oops: ), aren't covered by any of the unions and therefore weren't balloted. As a result, there were a few of these tutors who still worked during the strike :cry:

Still, apart from that, the strike was pretty solid with most staff and students staying away. And of course, the library occupation the next day fulfilled all my May '68 wank fantasies :wink:

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Submitted by Lazy Riser on March 9, 2006

Hi

Steven.

If the strike is arranged so that no one is inconvenienced, there's no way it will win.

It’s not the inconvenience caused to the working class which will decide whether it is won or not. Whoever decides on remuneration has no reason to alter course, it’s a stage managed negotiation.

Steven.

grade allowances - that's what solidarity should mean in these kinds of cases

That’s more like it. Unfortunately it argues against your previous point. If lecturers started handing degrees out to students from working class backgrounds willy nilly, saving them the aggravation and expense of further study, they’d win in no time.

Just like the DWP staff, if they started over paying benefits, they’d win their industrial action tomorrow.

Love

LR

knightrose

18 years ago

The problem with this strike isn'twhether anyone picketed or not. It's a question of what happens next? A one day strike solves nothing, does it? The task for lib com types is to argue that it should spread and be extended. It'd also be worth making links with teachers involved in strikes at the moment - which is over "responsibility allowances" - basically the government is regrading the work we do and loads of teachers are losing out - sometimes afew hundred a year, sometimes many thousands. We at least are getting strike pay, but I can see the dispute fading away if it's just a series of one day stoppages.

Choccy

18 years ago

Knightrose are youse striking over the TPR replacing MAs thing? NUT in our school is supposed to balloting soon but according to the rep I don't get balloted because I'm only a student teacher even though I'm NUT - sounds a bit dodgy to me??

Steven.

18 years ago

Lazy Riser

Steven.

grade allowances - that's what solidarity should mean in these kinds of cases

That’s more like it. Unfortunately it argues against your previous point. If lecturers started handing degrees out to students from working class backgrounds willy nilly, saving them the aggravation and expense of further study, they’d win in no time.

Just like the DWP staff, if they started over paying benefits, they’d win their industrial action tomorrow.

Er, that sounds well and good, but it's most likely impossible for them to actually do. Though the idea may have a convenient place in your head, in that it allows you to justify your dislike of benefits workers, which is no doubt your cost-benefit analysis of that idea.

Lecturers would have much more discretion (almost complete?) over marking.

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 9, 2006

Tommy Ascaso

Catch

Jonty or another one?

It wasn't the one that does the sale outside Highbury station.

Not old enough to have a beard, crazy eyes?

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

Er, that sounds well and good, but it's most likely impossible for them to actually do.

Not in my experience. Its a question of the will rather than the way.

We at least are getting strike pay, but I can see the dispute fading away if it's just a series of one day stoppages.

I recommend developing knightrose’s point.

Love

LR

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Submitted by ticking_fool on March 9, 2006

They're eligable for the AUT (or were at Essex anyway), but I'd think it depends on the specific branch on whether they know this, or if there is an attempt to organise them.

They're eligable for both NATFHE and AUT - in fact, PhD students planning on an academic career can get some kind of membership with NATFHE. Membership's really low though, although NATFHE are supposed to be running a recruitment drive in this sector.

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Lecturers would have much more discretion (almost complete?) over marking.

Not quite. The marking standards would be set down during the QAA validation of a new course which would be externally assessed by outside academics, but also by the QAA themselves who are the equivalent of schools inspectors. Any marking would then be second marked internally and at least a sample assessed by an external as well. If all of those people collaborated to push grades up then the QAA can step in and reassess everything. It has happened. There's a lot of financial pressure on making sure that students pass and this kind of collaboration has happened under pressure from management. Chester lost it's degree awarding powers over something very similar.

ticking_fool

18 years ago

If lecturers started handing degrees out to students from working class backgrounds willy nilly, saving them the aggravation and expense of further study, they’d win in no time.

This is impossible - we're not in control of any of that and the mechanisms are already in place to boot us out if we do manage to get some control over it (by systematic grade inflation or something like that). This is one of the things that public sector reform's all about - making sure that workers don't have the power to fuck up management without fucking up their students, their patients, their passengers or whatever as well.

I work in two universities. In both, we're trying to minimise the impact we have on the students and get them on side, but there's almost nothing we can do to hurt management that won't hurt the students more. For my money that's why striking over pay was a fucking bad idea, it separates our interests from the student's interests. Striking over rising class sizes, increased bureacracy, increased workloads and decreases in contact time, which in reality is what people are pissed off about, would have been much better because that's where our interests obviously overlap with those of students.

But of course the idea of a lecturers union actually organising amongst the students would just be crazy... (not at all embittered by previous experience or anything like that, oh no).

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 9, 2006

I think it depends, at kings they hardly ever let Phd students teach, at sussex they let Phd students teach all the time, I've even heard of an MA student covering (he may have been Mphil 1st year phd, unreliable source)

They are casual workers and there are always more of them than there are places so they are tough to organise.

I don't know if I'm clerical or not, I'm a supervisor in the library.

I just got bumped up a pay grade tho 8)

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

This is impossible - we're not in control of any of that and the mechanisms are already in place to boot us out if we do manage to get some control over it

I think you will find that there are mechanisms in place to boot you out if you decide to withdraw your labour without union sanction, so what you do on top of that can hardly matter. There are mechanisms to boot you out if you do anything effective.

This situation where people are happy to have a few one-day strikes but start shaking in their shoes when somebody threatens to sack them are weird. As if they couldn’t just sack you now if they wanted too, you should try working for Dunnes or Gate Gourmet.

If you start worrying about your job rather than winning the strike, then it’s stage managed at best, lost before it’s begun. The outcome has been negotiated in advance.

We at least are getting strike pay, but I can see the dispute fading away if it's just a series of one day stoppages.

I recommend developing knightrose’s point. Does anyone think a rerun of 1979 is the way forward?

In what way will it be different this time?

Love

LR

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 9, 2006

ticking_fool

For my money that's why striking over pay was a fucking bad idea, it separates our interests from the student's interests. Striking over rising class sizes, increased bureacracy, increased workloads and decreases in contact time, which in reality is what people are pissed off about, would have been much better because that's where our interests obviously overlap with those of students.

this is the mood among my co-workers as well, and repeated by the strikers across the board. The actual official reason of the dispute, pay, was mentioned very rarely. Even at the rally speeches most dealt with changing nature of education etc.

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

Striking over rising class sizes, increased bureacracy, increased workloads and decreases in contact time, which in reality is what people are pissed off about, would have been much better

So what do you really want? Are you asking Mervyn Allister King to print up some special money to finance all this stuff?

Love

LR

knightrose

18 years ago

in reply to xconnorx yeah, we're striking over the introductin of TLRs instead of management allowances. In practice it's a regrading exercise aimed at saving money.

I'm wondering what is wrong with saying a strike is about money? That's what we mostly get angry about, isn't it? Or our own working conditions. I don't see a problem with an apparent conflict of interest with students. It shouldn't b beyond people's wit to explain why it's not.

\it alsways worries me when we hear about not taking action for fear of alienating others - in my case, they say we shouldn't alienate the parents. taking that line has held pay back for years.

Barry Kade

18 years ago

Submitted by Barry Kade on March 9, 2006

I was on the picket line at Lancaster Uni. What fun! This was after years of visiting other pickits in solidarity. Now for the first time in my previously lumpen life I was a real striking worker, and a proper union member to boot! Cor! Life has its thrills now that I've been sucked into the academico- proletariat.

About 30 of us pickets at any one time were gathered at the main entrance, standing in the pouring rain. We managed to slow down most of the river of cars, buses and vans and hand them leaflets. Its odd when the occaisional student wanker in a posh car tries to run you over! Hey sonny, that no way to get good marks in your degree!

But I remember past pickets at that spot where bus drivers once refused to cross, instead decanting their passengers for the quarter mile walk onto campus. Now they roared passed, spraying us with rain and fumes, with only a few slowing to take a leaflet. Are they still unionised round here? I've been on their pickets lines in the past.

The post van stopped, halted in a car park for ten minutes. I thought, oh good. I remember every picket I've been on in all sorts of strikes, the good ol posties, they always refuse to cross. Nice one, CWU. I've been on their picket lines also, quite a few times in the past 20 years. But then the van drove on, up to campus. Bollocks! Should have had a word with the driver, who was probably waiting, wondering whether theyd be turned back. Bollocks!

A bunch of students turned out and stood with us in solidarity in the rain. Nice one. It is sabbatical election week, and alot were candidates. They brought us tea! Turned out, most were in the Labour club, which still exists at Lancaster! Most were still socialists. Amazing. Some were even Trot entrists, organizing meetings like 'Hands off Venezuela'! Amazing that the past 10 years of Labour shit hasn't changes this. No different to my youth in the 1980's, apart from the fact there is now no longer any SWP to provide competition for them round here any more. There are loose green, people and planet and semi-anarchist networks, but of course, these were not on the picket line!

I felt unconfortable with our unions pay demands. Of course I support the strike and the wider dispute, but I wish it wasnt so sectional and economistic. Workers on an average wages of £35 grand wanting more is hardly heart rending. (I'm on a lot less, and while an AUT member, I'm one of the growing band of contract staff who wont benefit.) Still, the principle is that if a strike, even by a relatively high paid group wins, then this makes it easier for the rest of the class to have a go. If they loose, well, we all find it harder.

But I wish we had a united front with other campus unions resisting the whole shitty neo-liberal assault on the universities. It would be better if it were also against the exploitation of short term contract and casual staff, against the attacks on pensions of non-academic staff, against the exhorbitant fees and crap deal students are getting, against marketisation, privatisation and the corporate hijacking and control of higher education institutions.

Its funny, the AUT leaflets say we want to be back up there with doctors and lawyers, back into being proper middle class. Yet to get there, we must take collective strike action...ie the very thing that defines us as now being part of the new working class. Great paradox. Discuss!

One of the best things I did was give every picket a leaflett about the 'George Fox Six' the six Lancaster students who will be in court again next week over their protest against arms companies etc linking with the University. I also got it agreed at our union meeting that we will have the AUT banner on their demo. See

www.georgefox6.co.uk

After the picket we put up hundereds of posters accross campus about the court case and demo. They said things like " University research for peace not war" and "university research for human need not corporate greed" etc etc. Gave me a warm feeling, despite the freezing rain.

What next?

Now there is the assesment boycott. Lecturers are going to refuse to set or mark essays or exams. This is probably going to get heavy. Some students will get nasty and scabby. The ones with some sort of wider view of the world will rally round. It could go either way. I havent noticed any discussion of this here on libcom. Its probably gonna have more of an impact and long term importance than the one day strike. We need to start thinking and organising on this one.

Finally, though, what a boost the Sussex students have given us all with their occupation, and wonderfull manifesto. More of that sort of thing. And the massive wave of student occupations in France, with a million youth on the street. Not a whisper in the UK press. I can see why. Under the circumstances, it is a dangerous example that our rulers dont want students in this counrty to hear about.

Choccy

18 years ago

knightrose

\it alsways worries me when we hear about not taking action for fear of alienating others - in my case, they say we shouldn't alienate the parents. taking that line has held pay back for years.

is that the reason ATL and NASUWT aren't balloting on the TLR issue? I felt kinda left out at our recent NUT meeting cos I'm not a paid member of staff . :( Student teachers don't count apparently :x

Steven.

18 years ago

Barry Kade

Now there is the assesment boycott. Lecturers are going to refuse to set or mark essays or exams. This is probably going to get heavy. Some students will get nasty and scabby. The ones with some sort of wider view of the world will rally round. It could go either way. I havent noticed any discussion of this here on libcom. Its probably gonna have more of an impact and long term importance than the one day strike. We need to start thinking and organising on this one.

Yeah I only read about that in one news report, and this seems like the key bit of the action.

knightrose

18 years ago

The ATL and NASUWT signed up for the government's whole workforce reform deal. This meant they signed away two increment points - Upper 4 and Upper 5, in exchange for everyone getting onto Upper 3 (at the time - no promises for the future). They also agreed to TLRs. So they are bigger bosses unions than the NUT! (And that's bad enough).

Ironically at my school some of the worst effected by the change are in NASUWT and ATL.

si

18 years ago

Submitted by si on March 9, 2006

Barry Kade

And the massive wave of student occupations in France, with a million youth on the street. Not a whisper in the UK press. I can see why. Under the circumstances, it is a dangerous example that our rulers dont want students in this counrty to hear about.

I've not heard anything about that either. Any sources?

Barry Kade

18 years ago

Submitted by Barry Kade on March 10, 2006

Jack

Barry Kade

Workers on an average wages of £35 grand wanting more is hardly heart rending.

Why not? :confused:

Just because other bits of the working class are more under paid, doesn't make this sort of under paying any less disgusting.

Of course, its a struggle between wage labour, and capital, and we are on the side of labour. If our strike wins, it will help lower paid workers also to take industrial action and win.

To repeat one of my earlier points - we are taking collective (working class) action in order to regain our percieved 'middle class' status.

Our unions demands makes perfect sense within market logic...like if we are not paid the market rate for our skills, (ie £40-£50 grand p.a.), then were all gonna fuck off to the private sector or to American universities where we can easily get that. Sure.

And its hard to pay a mortgage and certain, ahem, school fees on only £35K. My colleagues worry about whether their kids will be as middle class as them. And its embarrassing having dinner parties with doctor and lawyer friends who get paid twice as much. And its embarrassing to have to work with people in industry on four times as much. sure.

And if firefighters are gonna demand £30K, then we need at least £40k to stay one step ahead. :confused:

But (to repeat) my criticism is of our sectional and economistic demands, that make the action weaker. We need to broaden our demands to win.

There are divisions between the 'gold book staff' and the rest of us. The strike doesnt really speak to the rest of us, who are rapidly becoming the majority of university workers. I'm on the picket line, because I'm always on pickets lines, not because I will benefit. But how many think like me?

Yes, Jack mate, I agree. I think if a strong, highly skilled section wins, we all win. Lecturers are a strong section. The argument is similar to those around skilled craft elites within the working class ever since the dawn of the modern class struggle over the last 3 centuries. sure.

But ultimately, and, call me a liberal green hippy if you will, but I dont think ANYONE ON EARTH should really earn more than £35K p.a! :shock:

Barry Kade

18 years ago

knightrose

my problem isn't school fees, it's keeping my daughter at university.

Sure. Many of my colleagues have the same problem. Its like Kinnocks speech in reverse (I was the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to get to uni). Because of fees and falling pay, lecturers face the paradox of being the last generation of their family to go to uni.

But surely the answer is to STRIKE FOR THE ABOLITION OF FEES!

(Rather than to want a slice of these disgusting fees?)

Now thats a demand that would unite people and win.

Barry Kade

18 years ago

revol68

yeah and i'd like an insurrectionary general strike that swept aside the bourgeois order and replaced it with free frederations of workers councils but it ain't gonna happen tomorrow.

Things take time to develop and small victories can lead to more adventurous demands, the job for communists is to support these demands whilst being completely honest about their limits and also how these limits can be transcended.

Yes, Friend, I totally agree. Well said. And thats why I spent all Tueday on the picket lines, and thats why I am proud to help organise this industrial action with my union.

But that doesnt stop me being critical of bad tactics by my union leadership. And demanding that top up fees are spent on us, rather than being abolished is bad tactics. And its not unrealistic to demand the abolition of fees. I'm not arguing for an insurrectionary general strike, I'm arguing for tactics that can win here and now. Tactics that can unite lecturers, contract staff, students against the current neo-liberal assualt. Its about waging a political industrial struggle.

These are actual criticisms being raise by the left within the union. I'll post some correspondance later.

The Bosses are trying to divide university workers. They want some academic superstars on £70-100K, most lecturers on shit salaries, and most work done by contract staff on a pittance. Thats the new neo-liberal university. Do you have any concrete tactics to adress this?

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Submitted by Lazy Riser on March 10, 2006

Hi

small victories can lead to more adventurous demands

This is true. But do the institutions have the capacity to meet the strikers’ demands? And do the strikers have any real leverage to force the management to change course?

Love

LR

Barry Kade

18 years ago

Here is quite a good argument by Malcom Povey, Leeds AUT member in SW, which I happen to agree with. (Funnyseeing the historically economistic SWP arguing agaisnt the economistic focus of the AUT)

http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/article.php?article_id=8384

Lecturers’ action needs wide focus

by Malcolm Povey

Strike action by about 60,000 workers is set to take place across higher education on Tuesday of next week, followed by action short of strike including an appraisal and assessment boycott.

The action will involve members of the new University and Colleges Union (UCU), formed by the merger of the AUT and Natfhe unions, which will represent lecturers and many other academic-related staff.

The strike will challenge the employers’ negative response to the UCU pay claim. The attitude of university managers reflect their acceptance of New Labour’s neo-liberal agenda in higher education.

The planned strike is not just an opportunity to claw back lost ground over wages and conditions, it is also a chance to defend education against marketisation.

So this strike is to be welcomed and activists must throw everything into ensuring its success. However, it is essential that this dispute is placed into a wider political context if it is to realise its full potential.

Unfortunately, UCU’s response to management intransigence has so far been a narrow economic one.

Because of the introduction of student fees and other funding changes in higher education, there is more money in the system than for very many years – £3.4 billion between now and 2008, a 25 percent increase.

Marketisation

But the money comes with strings attached. The introduction of student fees is part of the marketisation of education.

In order to get their fees proposal through parliament, government ministers argued that at least a part of the income generated would be used to address the long decline in academic salaries.

Thirty years ago academic salaries were comparable to those of doctors or judges. Now they don’t even compare well with teachers’ salaries.

The process through which academics have been pushed into the wider working class has led to resistance.

This included a successful strike at the beginning of 2004 in defence of national negotiating rights and against local bargaining.

The first steps in taking the universities into the brave new world of business involved massively increasing pay differentials.

This created a layer of top managers who have a stake in the marketisation of education. Vice-chancellors recently gave themselves a 25 percent increase in salaries.

An examination of university accounts for the past year indicates that it is not just vice?chancellors who have enjoyed huge pay hikes. They have also created a layer of highly paid cronies around them.

The next steps are a drive to cut staff wages as a whole, to further increase differentials, to casualise and privatise university teaching, to replace national pay bargaining with local or even individual pay deals.

Increases in student fees and differential fees are also on the cards, with a serious attempt to create an “ivy league” of privileged institutions, charging enormous student fees, already in hand.

Those institutions left behind in the race will find themselves confined to vocational training.

Success

University staff and students will be the victims of this. UCU has to face up to the fact that it must battle on all these fronts.

University workers are spoiling for a fight. The strike day will be impressive and victory is a real possibility, but we need to widen our focus to ensure success.

UCU activists need to ensure student support for every picket line, every demonstration, every rally. To do this UCU must demand an end to student fees.

Currently this is union policy but it is nowhere to be seen in the material being put out in support of our pay campaign.

Malcolm Povey is a member of the AUT at Leeds University

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Submitted by ticking_fool on March 10, 2006

The Bosses are trying to divide university workers. They want some academic superstars on £70-100K, most lecturers on shit salaries, and most work done by contract staff on a pittance. Thats the new neo-liberal university. Do you have any concrete tactics to adress this?

Exactly. With the added 'bonus' of encouraging students to regard themselves as customers and consumers of a product with a market value (an education that can get you this or that job) rather than as participants and colleagues who have their own stake in how the university is run. If we're not taking on the processes that are creating this - which means at the very least striking against fees - then we've got a problem.

ticking_fool

18 years ago

this is the mood among my co-workers as well, and repeated by the strikers across the board. The actual official reason of the dispute, pay, was mentioned very rarely. Even at the rally speeches most dealt with changing nature of education etc.

Even the branch secretary where I was was saying the same things - it seems to be pretty much universal and it was only argument I was able to use that turned (I think two) students back at the picket line. It's crazy that it's not the main thrust, but I guess that's up to us.

knightrose

18 years ago

Submitted by knightrose on March 10, 2006

my comment about university costs was serious. £35k may sound a lot if you're single, or if you and your partner are earning similar wages. But what if you are not? What if you've got kids? I'm not bleating on, but I can easily understand why they think they need more. It's foolish to put an arbitrary figure and say, "that and no more."

ticking_fool

18 years ago

Maybe asking people to not hand essays/coursework in until the demands are met to stop the work being marked by scabs, although this would only work if done on a mass-scale, if it's done on a small scall without enough support it would just fuck things up for a few people. What do people think?

It would depend on how the individual department's running it. Take the two department I work. One is really small; three full time lecturers and five part timers (all hourly paid). Only two are unionised - me and the programme leader. We're trying to get everyone else to join, but the feeling amongst the part timers is that it's best to just keep their heads down and people are very depoliticised. In order to keep the marking ban solid in this situation we're carrying out all marking and internal (within the department) assessment and giving marks back to students etc. What we're not doing is archiving any work or centralising any marks with academic registry (who do all bureaucratic stuff around degree marks). Because all of that goes through the programme leader he can refuse to cooperate, with union cover, and jam up the whole department.

A mass refusal to hand in essays would be nice here, and would seriously strengthen our hand, but is far from essential. If it was partial and unsuccessful, we'd probably be able to make sure that no one got victimised because of it.

The other department I work in has no agreed strategy on the marking ban. Unionisation rates are if anything even lower and there's an anti-political culture. The marking ban here just isn't going to work. A mass refusal to hand in essays here would be fantastic, but higher risk because if it ended up partial those students would almost certainly get victimised.

(edited on grounds of temperance and identifying individuals)

ticking_fool

18 years ago

£35k may sound a lot if you're single, or if you and your partner are earning similar wages. But what if you are not? What if you've got kids? I'm not bleating on, but I can easily understand why they think they need more. It's foolish to put an arbitrary figure and say, "that and no more."

Absolutely, but it's a propaganda thing. The first thing my students said when I told them the strike was over pay was 'aren't youse on shitloads anyway?' (as it happens I'm not). If you're asking for solidarity from Unison workers on £10 to £15k and students scraping by on £5k a year and getting into massive debt, complaining about being underpaid is going to sound a bit fucking hollow.

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 10, 2006

regarding the exam marking, appraisal and cover boycott, anyone willing to produce some material about that? We have a network of people, both workers in education and students, lets use it!!!

(i have no part in markings so i dont know if i can produce anything emaningful)

Barry Kade, thanks for your report, great to hear you guys had a presence in Lancaster as well. I was wondering about that, i did a stint of 3 months there back in -97 so its always been close to heart :P

JDMF

18 years ago

On the issue of pay and what is "enough" etc. My opinions are very unrefined about this, but i largely agree with what Barry Kade said.

I agree with the initial premise of we should support, show solidarity and take part to any and all pay disputes.

But at the same time our position as communists should be equal pay, rather than this liberal "equal pay for equal job" which leads an academic to earn 40k and the guy who cleans his office to earn 10k.

The pay rounds also always increase the pay with certain percentage per year across the board, so for instance last time around it was 3% which meant:

person earning 30k got 900 = 30 900

person earning 10k got 300 = 10 300

which means that the income differences grow every year.

or we could take the approach to not to worry about any of this and demand that everyone gets paid 70k a year, and at the same time we should drop the top up fees as well. Its easy when you dont have to worry about where the money comes from ;)

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 10, 2006

Honestly I think that getting the non-teaching staff on board would help. They can shut down the university and create more problems.

You seen what happens if the post room is closed for a day?

Solidarity is what we need, it is hard to stand alongside people who earn more than you do, but we are all workers.

I'm going to join the union next week, not sure which one.

I might be eligible for AUT and it seems to be more militant at the moment, but I think UNISON is probably more representative of people doing my job.

ftony

18 years ago

Submitted by ftony on March 10, 2006

i like the idea of mass not-handing-in-of-coursework. but the problem is, if anyone's course is like mine, we don't have to hand anything in until may, by which time things will have probably calmed down.

it would be great to see UK students having the guts to put themselves on the line like the french folk but alas i doubt it would happen in the current climate.

nastyned

18 years ago

Submitted by nastyned on March 10, 2006

Tommy Ascaso

At Goldsmiths the largest picket was probably outside the college library, pickets were trying to stop students accessing the library (which has all the computers, books etc. in) and this is two weeks before the final essays for the year are due in. A lot of people I've spoken too were fucked off about it, they totally supported the strike, and didn't go to lectures but needed to use the library either for the internet, or to get books out for essays etc.

Anyone got any thoughts? :)

WTF? :confused:

You know where the library is? :wink: :D

JDMF

18 years ago

Jef Costello

Honestly I think that getting the non-teaching staff on board would help. They can shut down the university and create more problems.

at our uni, it is the UNISON organised staff who open the locks in the morning ;) If their strike is solid, no one will go in!

the button

18 years ago

Submitted by the button on March 10, 2006

ftony

i like the idea of mass not-handing-in-of-coursework. but the problem is, if anyone's course is like mine, we don't have to hand anything in until may, by which time things will have probably calmed down.

And another problem would be, would anyone notice? :P

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 10, 2006

JDMF

Jef Costello

at our uni, it is the UNISON organised staff who open the locks in the morning ;) If their strike is solid, no one will go in!

Exactly, but there was no attempt to link up from what I could see.

I'd be interested to know if security are UNISON, turning off CCTV etc.

I know where to do it at City, but not how to do it subtly. Also the students there are wankers or barely sentient. No positive class consciousness there

I guess that's what the EWN thing is about.

Is that just for SolFed people or can anyone join in?

JDMF

18 years ago

Jack

JDMF

On the issue of pay and what is "enough" etc. My opinions are very unrefined about this, but i largely agree with what Barry Kade said.

I agree with the initial premise of we should support, show solidarity and take part to any and all pay disputes.

But at the same time our position as communists should be equal pay, rather than this liberal "equal pay for equal job" which leads an academic to earn 40k and the guy who cleans his office to earn 10k.

The pay rounds also always increase the pay with certain percentage per year across the board, so for instance last time around it was 3% which meant:

or we could take the approach to not to worry about any of this and demand that everyone gets paid 70k a year, and at the same time we should drop the top up fees as well. Its easy when you dont have to worry about where the money comes from ;)

Oh come on mate, you're sounding like that cunt who was slamming you for your 40k household income.

so whats your counter suggestion? My worries are that in the current situation of craft unionism the highly paid staff which are more vital to the core business of the university are able to fight for better pay & conditions than those who are easily expendable and outsourced, from support staff to cleaners, porters and so on. Which is why i call for solidarity across the board. At the moment it is not even on lip service level here, so UNISON staff (the guys closer to that 10k mark) see their relative income drop all the time compared to the AUT staff (closer, or above that 30k mark).

JDMF

18 years ago

ok, i see your point here.

Thing is, "we", as in workers in this dispute and students who are the primary vehicle of solidarity, need to balance out practical suggestions with theoretical discussion here. So we need to think of practical ways of how we break this more or less craft unionist situation and create cross industry solidarity.

In finland unions negotiate pay increase on the basis of how much it costs to the emplyer, but distribute it differently. So for instance they would say that this pay increase will be 3% cost increase, but it is disctributed in such way that those making less get a bigger percentage increase than those making more.

Ok, its still not communism, but miles better than the situation now IMO :)

JDMF

18 years ago

i should check how common it is actually before banging on about it, but we had that in the metal workers union at least.

ftony

18 years ago

Submitted by ftony on March 10, 2006

i've just heard that the QM AUT have 'reached an agreement' with management

that's all i've heard, but will follow up as soon as i've heard any more

JDMF

18 years ago

this just in:

Union anger over vice-chancellors' pay hikes

The timing could not have been more embarrassing for university vice-chancellors.

Their lecturing staff had just started a boycott of exams in protest over pay - a

move that could mean thousands of students not getting their final exams marked this

summer - then a survey dropped through the letterbox showing that their own pay had

risen by 25 per cent over the past three years, with the result that 33 were earning

more than the Prime Minister. Cue furious reaction from the lecturers and, according

to the unions, growing determination from their members to back militant action over

pay.

The Independent, The Guardian, The Scotsman, The Times Higher Education Supplement

<http://www.thes.co.uk/story.aspx?story_id=2028439> (Mar 10)

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 10, 2006

I posted that story on Thursday (page 7 of this thread) after reading it that morning. :wink:

Steve

According to the newspaper today vice principals & principals in universities have had 25% pay rises over the past three years. As usual seems there is always enough money for those at the top of the tree.

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 10, 2006

JDMF

In finland unions negotiate pay increase on the basis of how much it costs to the emplyer, but distribute it differently. So for instance they would say that this pay increase will be 3% cost increase, but it is disctributed in such way that those making less get a bigger percentage increase than those making more.

Arguing for wage rises should if possible always be tied to a lowering of wage differentials. Wage differentials are a great way of breaking up solidarity. So Jack I think JDMF has a fair enough point here - he wasn't arguing against pay rises.

coyote

18 years ago

Submitted by coyote on March 10, 2006

The only time I ever was part of a succesful action in education was when it involved everyone.

Our FE college campus was gonna be shut down and the land sold to tescos, meaning the studen´t and lecturers would be crammed into another campus and thus have less resources and that most ofthe support staff would lose their jobs.

The union (NATFHE?) had petioned, protestedetc to no avail. then the Student Union pitched in (1 anarchist, 2 SP) and organised the students and support staff.

For the actions we had security switch the CCTV off, and then lecturers, students, technicains, and dinner ladies piled into a board meeting, made our concerns know, took photos and video of every single board member, and left. Incidentally the vice principal had foolishly attempted to barricade the door with her body, she ended up bleeding on the floor (by accident, but still...).

A few rumours were spread, the business addresses of the board members were distributed and lo and behold the closure vanished.

Okay, that kind of DA isn´t always appropriate or possible, but does show the value in having all sectors ofthe campus workforce united.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 10, 2006

Yeah the whole non-assessment thing's gonna be harder to justify to students than a one day strike, especially to foreign/mature students who are paying their own way. The AUT's tactics aren't the easiest to manipulate into lecturer/student solidarity, and the likelihood of persuading students to refuse to submit coursework (poor hackneyed student jokes aside) is very small indeed. Part of the problem at Goldsmiths is that apart from anything else, we don't know who's striking or even in the AUT (a very significant proportion of the tutors are freelance, PhD etc). I'm not entirely sure what will happen to be honest.

RE: Tommy Ascaso and the library. It was the strongest picket I saw by far. Several workers in the library are AUT, and there are actually language classes on the 2nd floor (my Spanish class was de facto cancelled by the picket, even though in the days before the tutor was adamant it was happening). Moreover, like it's been repeatedly said, strikes are supposed to cause disruption. So what if a few students couldn't check their emails for 24 hours (well actually, 3 hours), the picketeers approached each one separately and talked to them rationally and cordially.

I'm not entirely sure that the answer is a renewed call for the abolition of top up fees, since that would only directly affect students arriving in September and beyond. I think calling for the top up fees money to be spent on education in general (instead of the AUT's current call for it to go to lecturers) might be an idea, especially if you consider how underfunded a lot of departments are. Ultimately, the problem is that universities are run for profit not for educational purposes, and that's reflected in their attitude towards admissions, learning and facilities.

I know I keep being dismissed for pipe dreaming on this one, but is there any chance of getting the NUS onside?? I mean, I'm sure every student and lecturer can think of something in their uni they could do with. Here, the long-awaited gym is something of a burning issue.

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

Ultimately, the problem is that universities are run for profit not for educational purposes

If they are run for profit then they’re not being run particularly well. Universities could be much more profitable, especially if they taught something useful. Do you think the educational services would be better if they ran at a loss? It can’t be that bad, it’s not compulsory to attend, or work there.

Love

LR

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

Whilst I’m at it…

strikes are supposed to cause disruption

Strikes are supposed to achieve objectives.

Does anyone, apart from me, side with knightrose?

Love

LR

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 10, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

I know I keep being dismissed for pipe dreaming on this one, but is there any chance of getting the NUS onside?? I mean, I'm sure every student and lecturer can think of something in their uni they could do with. Here, the long-awaited gym is something of a burning issue.

Technically they are, but AFAIK all they did was put an article on their site in support 2 days before.

Just spoke to a colleague (Unison) at the Uni where i work (i've been off sick), and he said on the day there were 2 small pickets at the library and the main building/reception area for a few hours. The AUT people in our dept. in the library kept working. When my colleague got in there was no picket, the AUT people were working and all Unison staff had been warned they had no sympathy striking rights, and he felt pretty shit but he had to go in. TBH if there's no picket it seems like there's no way he could've avoided it. Glad I didn't have to go in and do that as well...

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Lazy Riser

strikes are supposed to cause disruption

Strikes are supposed to achieve objectives.

I'm sure you knew what I meant - in reference to both of your posts. I understand you're playing devil's advocate and whatnot but please be gentle with me, instead of laying rhetorical traps with questions I'm supposed to answer. After all, I suspect I lack your experience of labour struggles (both first hand and as an observer), so all this is pretty new to me and the last thing I (and fellow students making the leap from passive observers into active participants) need is belittlement. If I've misinterpreted your intentions, I'm sorry but please, if you have a point, just make it. :)

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Steven.

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

Technically they are, but AFAIK all they did was put an article on their site in support 2 days before.

Yeah but as you and I know, that means fuck all. Concrete and material support is something to be aimed for.

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 10, 2006

JDMF

A very minimum step on this would be arguing for flat rate increases instead of percentages year-on-year.

We had a pay change at work and it was 3.25% down the lower grades, kept going like that upto about £25K, then slowly went down to 1.5% and eventually 0 for the very highest grades. You had to earn around £40K to get a smaller increase than my grade (about £14.5k, although I'm 0.4 time atm so it's even less than that) even though the percentage increase was much lower.

To get it across, I worked out the actual monetary increase for a few choice spine points - highest was around £3000 (for someone on about 28K), lowest (for the lowest paid staff) was about £800. And wrote the actual figures on the sheet of paper - showed it to a few people including my line manager and they all agreed to it was complete shite - especially as it'd been sold that the high earners were getting a lower percentage increase to give us more of a rise (extra .25%) - they were getting more than three times as much in some cases.

Not enough time to take it any further than that but next year...

Next year though.

f2t

18 years ago

Submitted by f2t on March 10, 2006

Does anyone know of any temporary workers unions that would be able to help some temp teaching staff or an educational union that would advies temp staff?

JDMF

18 years ago

f2t

Does anyone know of any temporary workers unions that would be able to help some temp teaching staff or an educational union that would advies temp staff?

you work in higher ed? Then AUT is the best bet, they do temp and fixed term staff (i'm on fixed term as well - have had my contract extended 5 times so far, but no perm contract in sight!)

JDMF

18 years ago

to add, if you want to organise around casual workers, Stuff Your Boss campaign is a good thing to get in touch with as well!

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Hi

if you have a point, just make it

JDMF is right when he says that the strikes are just part of a set of stage managed negotiations between trades unions and management. Knightrose is right when he says that more cash for workers as an isolated proposal is a totally rational position for the strikers.

JDMF correctly asserts that the outcome of these events has already been decided in advance. Knightrose’s appraisal of the effectiveness of these one day strikes in advancing working class interests is wisdom that we ignore at our peril. Why do the bourgeoisie allow strikes to go ahead? The fact is, they couldn’t care less whether people turn up for work or not. As far as they’re concerned it proves their point and strengthens their hand, leading as it does to the settlement they anticipated all along.

To turn this situation into an authentic win, I humbly suggest that the individuals concerned decide upon an objective and develop a plan to achieve it. I know I’m sucking up heavily to JDMF, but his point about leverage is spot on. Perhaps you could force the sacking of the University Top Brass, a symbolic victory perhaps, but a clear one nonetheless. Forgive me for pointing out that these are excellent environments for stunts.

Is there a chance this can be joined up to other Financial-Mismanagement-In-Public-Services scandals, like that Hospital in Cornwall that’s laying off staff…

http://society.guardian.co.uk/publicfinances/story/0,,1726721,00.html

Love

LR

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 10, 2006

This happening in Scotland at the moment as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4790808.stm

Second strike day shuts schools

Protesters

The Aberdeen school strike continued on Friday

Fifty schools in Aberdeen were forced to close on the second day of industrial action by catering and cleaning staff.

jef costello

18 years ago

Submitted by jef costello on March 11, 2006

Wouldn't it be a good idea to demand across the board pay rises?

Vice chancellors etc seem to be making out like fucking bandits.

Let those cunts try to find "equivalent jobs in industry"

knightrose

18 years ago

Submitted by knightrose on March 11, 2006

We are due to strike again next Tuesday. Again "sustained" - which means the NUT pay our full wage for the day. Another strike is due two weeks later.

But even though people I know at work are pretty solid, I feel the beginnings of the end. Teachers worry that strikes damage kids education. The state plays on that. The union has made this a series of local issues - we now have three schools on strike out of 14 - but in reality this issue is one with the government. So the NUT acts all militant, pays out some strike pay, but unless individual heads or Local Authorities are prepared to cave in, know that the issue is lost.

I'd predict that unless we get a result afetr our third day, then we will vote to pack it in. I know others may not like to hear me say this, buit a huge issue in schools is behaviour. That doesn't rely so much on oppression as on a sense of routine. The strikes will disrupt this and so beahviour will get worse. This worsens our working conditions. That is what will drive us back.

Ironically, the strikes eem to have led to my partner getting a job. She's working on a temporary contract at my school. For some reason the head has just found the extra money needed to extend her contract till September. Anyone like to guess where the extra money has come from? And that's despite her being a typical anarchist, gobby, militant!

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 11, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

I'm sure you knew what I meant - in reference to both of your posts. I understand you're playing devil's advocate and whatnot but please be gentle with me, instead of laying rhetorical traps with questions I'm supposed to answer. After all, I suspect I lack your experience of labour struggles (both first hand and as an observer), so all this is pretty new to me and the last thing I (and fellow students making the leap from passive observers into active participants) need is belittlement. If I've misinterpreted your intentions, I'm sorry but please, if you have a point, just make it. :)

i have a lot of sympathy for this position, and would like to perhaps see that we could have a "theoretical" discussion, maybe in thought, running alongside of this thread which deals with up to date news and gossip and serves as an organising tool in this dispute.

This dispute has shown that there is some clear potential on these boards in terms of organising, passing on information and networking, but it doesn't come automatically. We need to learn to use these online tools to improve our organising - too often we get bogged down in theoretical discussions, but then again they are important, so why not run two threads simultaneously.

Admin - ftony's discussion on AUT/NATFHE merger split here:

http://libcom.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8504

f2t

18 years ago

Submitted by f2t on March 11, 2006

JDMF

f2t

you work in higher ed? Then AUT is the best bet, they do temp and fixed term staff (i'm on fixed term as well - have had my contract extended 5 times so far, but no perm contract in sight!)

I am asking for someone I know who works in Adult education who is trying to organise staff at her workplace who are effectively being payed well below minimum wage and being asked to work well over the hours they are meant to. They also have no permanent contract. It is one of the most exploitative work situations I have come across. We were wondering what unions are best to contact

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 11, 2006

adult education like Workers Education Association, or some community learning group?

Amicus organises at WEA type of educational charities - it really depends mate, if it is some language school etc, all bets are off.

f2t

18 years ago

Submitted by f2t on March 11, 2006

its the local college doing BETCs and GNVQs etc. Sorry I dont know if you describe it as FE or HE or something else. I can pm you a link to the website if it would help.

Mike Harman

18 years ago

Submitted by Mike Harman on March 11, 2006

sounds like local authority community college.

Would be unison, gmb or amicus for non-academic grades depending on what's going on.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 12, 2006

Lazy Riser - are you effectively suggesting a PR campaign run against the university authorities??

ftony

18 years ago

Submitted by ftony on March 17, 2006

OH MY GOD

my college has just forwarded a load of the university employer's org's propaganda to the entire staff and student population!!

i am fuming right now :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :cry:

Lazy Riser

18 years ago

Submitted by Lazy Riser on March 17, 2006

Hi

Lazy Riser - are you effectively suggesting a PR campaign run against the university authorities??

I would certainly encourage efforts along those lines, yes.

Love

LR

Rob Ray

18 years ago

Submitted by Rob Ray on March 17, 2006

So would I, nothing concentrates the mind of an official quite like an organised and highly personal investigation/expose/smear campaign leading to sackings, especially if it's made abundantly clear that the focus on their personal dealings is linked entirely to their behaviour on issues such as teacher pay (and is of course in the public interest - always remember the public interest bit).

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 17, 2006

ftony

OH MY GOD

my college has just forwarded a load of the university employer's org's propaganda to the entire staff and student population!!

what kind of stuff is it? Printed material or just mass emails?

We've seen nothing at Manchester.

Also, has anyone lost days wage from the strike? We are systematically refusing to say who was on strike and who wasn't and the HR department has no means of trying to sort it out, so i doubt we will lose pay either. 8)

lucy82

18 years ago

Submitted by lucy82 on March 18, 2006

We are systematically refusing to say who was on strike and who wasn't and the HR department has no means of trying to sort it out, so i doubt we will lose pay either

in the upcoming strike week after next for pensions we've been told that the company will honour leave booked before the strike date was announced but anyone who takes that day off work apart from that will be assumed to be striking so i don't really get why your HR dept can't sort it out. I mean if your not on leave or due to be off that day for some reason yr striking right??

on the funnier side, the big boss came in on friday and said "i need to know whether any of you are not striking for operational needs to sort out cover" and there was a long silence and everyone just looked at him which was quite amusing.

and last strike we got free breakfast given us from the cafe across the road. solidarity bacon :)

Steven.

18 years ago

Submitted by Steven. on March 18, 2006

lucy82

on the funnier side, the big boss came in on friday and said "i need to know whether any of you are not striking for operational needs to sort out cover" and there was a long silence and everyone just looked at him which was quite amusing.

and last strike we got free breakfast given us from the cafe across the road. solidarity bacon :)

Hey lucy, you couldn't post that on the pensions strike thread could you?

http://libcom.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8580

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 18, 2006

lucy82

We are systematically refusing to say who was on strike and who wasn't and the HR department has no means of trying to sort it out, so i doubt we will lose pay either

in the upcoming strike week after next for pensions we've been told that the company will honour leave booked before the strike date was announced but anyone who takes that day off work apart from that will be assumed to be striking so i don't really get why your HR dept can't sort it out. I mean if your not on leave or due to be off that day for some reason yr striking right??

not that simple in univeristies: peoples jobs are transient, you work in all kinds of locations and are on the move alot - many academics work from home or are out and about. Couple all that with low level of unionisation (which means all non-union members will work anyway on that day) its impossible to know who did turn up that day and who didn't.

Don't forget our managers are in the same union which means they are not co-operating with the higher management either :)

ftony

18 years ago

Submitted by ftony on March 20, 2006

what kind of stuff is it? Printed material or just mass emails?

email. even the admin staff got it.

bastards. i sent a strongly-worded email back, but got no response cos they're so scared of me :wink:

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 20, 2006

yeah we got some emails as well, sent to all 12 000 staff with some propaganda. Now the same is happening with Unison staff (talks broke down a while back) and we got emails from HR condemning Unison and hinting that they are not representing admin/technical/manual staff properly (well, i kinda agree but from another angle :P ).

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 20, 2006

Same thing is happening at UCLAN in Preston. The management have invented the phrase 'partial performance' to describe the industrial action. They have also planning to deduct 1/260th of wages rather than 1/365th. NATHFE has responded by saying that lecturers shouldn't attend open days that take place at weekends. There is a danger of them picking off staff I think.

the button

18 years ago

Submitted by the button on March 20, 2006

One thing to keep an eye of for is increased use of "visiting tutors" (i.e. PhD students who teach on the side) for marking, invigilation, etc. They've tried this with mrs button, but she told them to fuck off.

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 20, 2006

the button

One thing to keep an eye of for is increased use of "visiting tutors" (i.e. PhD students who teach on the side) for marking, invigilation, etc. They've tried this with mrs button, but she told them to fuck off.

They tried the same with my partner and got the same response. :)

the button

18 years ago

Submitted by the button on March 20, 2006

Steve

the button

They tried the same with my partner and got the same response. :)

Perhaps a leaflet -- "Mrs Steve & Mrs Button say 'Fuck off!' to being used as scab labour" :D

No but seriously though.... I reckon quite a few VTs, etc, would be glad of the extra cash, so it might be worth putting a paragraph addressed to them in future leaflets.

Caiman del Barrio

18 years ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on March 20, 2006

That's good of Mrs Button.

Goldsmiths people (ie Tommy Ascaso cos Zobag's too busy doing lame stuff like studying :P) - is it worth putting together a leaflet/petition on the non-assessment business?? If we manage to get people pointing the finger at the VC instead of their individual lecturers (as is now happening in most conversations I have on this issue), then it'd be a real gain.

JDMF

18 years ago

Submitted by JDMF on March 22, 2006

alright comrades, hows the action short of a strike holding up in your neck of the woods?

At Manchester Uni things are not too bad i guess (considering) and a lot of assesments are not being carried out - enough to make a serious embarrasment to the university and potentially open Uni for legal challenges from students for breaching contract.

Our situation in nutshell:

- Man Uni not going to deduct pay for the assesment boycott (Salford uni and Leeds Met are examples of universities who have been saying that they will deduct 30% of academics pay who are not submitting marks)

- for the strike pay 1/365th of annual pay will be deducted instead of 1/200th - but union is refusing to co-operate to name people who have participated. In practise i doubt anyone will lose pay.

- Vice-Chancellor (or President as he likes to call himself) has been meeting with union reps and is more symphatetic with union demands than the employers association which is chaired by this right bastard who wrote that column in yesterdays guardian about how justified 25% increase in vice-chancellors/presidents pay was and how AUT members have seen their wages soar in the past year (you what?!?). He is also saying how his words were misunderstood before top-up fees were introduced and everyone, including gov ministers just got him wrong - the money was not supposed to go to pay after all...

Anyways, action continues still and our union is holding fortnightly open meetings about it plus local meetings in schools and departments.

JDMF

18 years ago

breaking news:

UCEA, chaired by that bastard Dr Geoffrey Copland, is refusing to see AUT representatives on 28th (date set for next round of negotiations) and will only meet with unions who are not in industrial action (remains to be seen if they will meet with UNISON at all).

Looks like a proper mexican standoff. We need a proper open ended strike...

Ramona

18 years ago

Submitted by Ramona on March 22, 2006

Ok, don't get me wrong, I'm still 100% in support of the strike and everything, but does anyone know what's likely to happen to those of us scheduled to graduate this year if the action short of a strike carries on? A phd student I know said that when he did his MA a few years ago and similar stuff happened, the college authorities were set to override the assesment process and just give everyone a pass mark (which is shit, if yr not familiar with the marking systems it goes 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, pass and fail). I fucking hope I don't come out with a pass.

Also confusing is that I doubt the strike will be effective enough to seriously affect Goldsmiths, but I'm also doing a course at SOAS and they're much more commited to the strike, and there's no way my tutor there is going to break the action short of a strike (and fucking good on her 8) )

Panic panic panic...

Steve

18 years ago

Submitted by Steve on March 22, 2006

zobag

Ok, don't get me wrong, I'm still 100% in support of the strike and everything, but does anyone know what's likely to happen to those of us scheduled to graduate this year if the action short of a strike carries on? A phd student I know said that when he did his MA a few years ago and similar stuff happened, the college authorities were set to override the assesment process and just give everyone a pass mark (which is shit, if yr not familiar with the marking systems it goes 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, pass and fail). I fucking hope I don't come out with a pass.

Also confusing is that I doubt the strike will be effective enough to seriously affect Goldsmiths, but I'm also doing a course at SOAS and they're much more commited to the strike, and there's no way my tutor there is going to break the action short of a strike (and fucking good on her 8) )

Panic panic panic...

You should contact the University and demand they meet with the unions and settle the dispute or you will sue them. :wink:

JDMF

18 years ago

i'm not an academic so i dont know the full details (the whole marking system is greek to me), but in todays union meeting a lot of academics were really worried if the action will affect the future or their students.

Basically, someone has to blink first: university (if they care about the students, potential legal challenges, bad reputation etc), or academics (caring about students will cave in).

At the moment we (as in the workers) are hoping university and its employers body will blink first, but who the fuck knows.

What would help in a very non-anarchist and communist way would be if all students would write letters of complaints to thei heads of schools, vice-chancellors, student bodies etc etc, telling how this is worrying you and you support the strike and demand that the Uni will sort the fucking mess out!

This is what many academics here have been asking their students to do, and i believe hundreds have already done so.

JDMF

18 years ago

zobag

Lol, I vey much doubt they'd believe me/care :D

please try! Thats a great approach!

We need to get the law students angry, lol! Too bad the school of law isn't as solid in the action as many other schools...

davethemagicweasel

18 years ago

Submitted by davethemagicweasel on March 22, 2006

I just got forwarded a new AUT press release - apparently the universities have made the proposed talks on the 28th conditional on the unions ending the assessment boycott.

They seem pretty pissed off by this, so it looks as though the union's position could harden. And with Unison striking over pensions on the 28th as well things could start getting interesting

Jacques Roux

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Jacques Roux on April 4, 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4872944.stm

A lecturers' marking boycott is "starting to bite", potentially disrupting thousands of students' final university exams, unions have warned.

Meanwhile, six unions representing further education lecturers have voted to hold a two-day strike in May, in protest at a pay rise offer of 1.5%.

They say this represents a pay cut in real terms, as it is below the rate of inflation. The strike is scheduled for 2 and 3 May.

Caiman del Barrio

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on April 4, 2006

You're having a laugh!!! I have to hand in coursework amounting to 25% of my first year on the 2nd!!!

the button

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by the button on April 4, 2006

Alan_is_Fucking_Dead

You're having a laugh!!! I have to hand in coursework amounting to 25% of my first year on the 2nd!!!

So Alan...... it's your hand-in date. There's a picket line in front of the building where you have to hand your stuff in.

What do you do?

:wink:

Caiman del Barrio

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on April 4, 2006

Yeah but the picket line last time was more porous than a sponge, and I doubt it'll work as a valid excuse for my (most likely non-striking) tutor. Who's fucking GINGER.

That said, last time the pickets wound up by 12 so I could just sneak into college later. :P

ftony

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by ftony on April 5, 2006

i have coursework amounting to 100% of this semester due in on the 2nd may too. if i don't hand it in i fail my degree and lose all funding for my phd (and therefore all the money i'm living off).

there would have to be something VERY big to stop me handing it in. sorry

the button

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by the button on April 5, 2006

JDMF

whats up, can't you return it a day earlier?

Students handing work in early? :shock:

And here was me thinking you worked in education. :wink:

JDMF

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by JDMF on April 5, 2006

the button

thank fuck i never have to face students, i dont even know when term starts or ends! :P

the button

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by the button on April 5, 2006

JDMF

the button

thank fuck i never have to face students, i dont even know when term starts or ends! :P

mrs button is a tutor, and she can tell when term ends, because it's the only time her students want to come & see her.

JDMF

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by JDMF on April 5, 2006

ftony

can't you return it a day earlier?

no, we're not allowed :(

so you are in NATFHE institution? This is not an AUT strike...

ftony

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by ftony on April 5, 2006

ah right! i really should read things more carefully :roll:

no my college is mostly AUT, but there are some natfhe folks i think

Caiman del Barrio

17 years 12 months ago

Submitted by Caiman del Barrio on April 5, 2006

JDMF

whats up, can't you return it a day earlier?

Usually you can't, no.

But if this isn't AUT then it looks like I'll be OK. :)

JDMF

17 years 11 months ago

Submitted by JDMF on April 7, 2006

AUT/NATFHE pay action: whats going on in your institution?

I'm trying to get some info on whats going on at the moment in different institutions regarding the dispute.

Any input appreciated:

http://libcom.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9129

Sacha

17 years 11 months ago

Submitted by Sacha on April 29, 2006

Please add your or your group's name by emailing [email protected], post on relevant websites and elists and forward to sympathetic people!

For the full version with links, please visit the Education Not for Sale site:

http://www.free-education.org.uk/?p=184#more-184

SUPPORT OUR LECTURERS: DON’T LET THE BOSSES DIVIDE US!

Despite NUS’s official position of support for the NATFHE/AUT dispute, the pressure of supporting a prolonged industrial struggle is beginning to tell.

NUS has always been less than forthright in its support for the dispute, and NUS President Kat Fletcher has previously expressed “concern” at the AUT’s decision not to set dates for exams as part of its assessment boycott. However, the union has now gone a step further. In a recent press release the NUS said it “condemned” the AUT’s decision not to set exams, and would “put pressure” on them to do so.

This comes in the context of the publication in the Independent of a letter signed by 20 sabbatical officers from various students’ unions attacking the NUS for its position of support for the dispute. (Read the article here)

Although some pro-strike officers admirably responded with their own letter (available here), a groundswell of anti-AUT feeling is clearly developing. It needs to be combated.

To this end, ENS is calling for signatories to the following statement. You can add your name by emailing us at [email protected].

"Whilst it is unfortunate if students’ degrees are disrupted, we cannot allow university bosses to divide us by playing the interests of students off against the interests of workers on campus.

A quality HE sector staffed by well-motivated and well-paid workers is in all our interests. That means we have to support every struggle towards it, even if that means facing some disruption.

NUS’s demands on the AUT to call off aspects of their assessment boycott will have the effect of weighing into the dispute on the side of the bosses.

If you want well-paid lecturers, and if you want an NUS that offers full and unconditional support to workers in struggle on our campuses, please add your name to this statement."

Signatories so far:

Daniel Randall, NUS NEC

Sofie Buckland, NUS NEC-elect

Joe Rooney, NUS NEC-elect, Training and Development Officer, West Midlands Area NUS

Heather Shaw, Bretton Hall Officer, Leeds University Students’ Union

Keir Lawson, President, Glasgow University SSP

Pat Yarker, University of East Anglia

Josh Robinson, Queens’ College, Cambridge

Laura Schwartz, University of East London and Students Against Sweatshops campaign

Kate Ferguson, Oxford University Students’ Union executive committee

Mike Wood, York University

Louise Gold, Sheffield University

Ruth Cashman, Newcastle University Union Society Council

Heenal Rajani, Lambeth College

Dave Smith, King’s College, Cambridge

Mike Rowley, Ruskin College, Oxford

Anna Longman, York University

Thomas Lalevée, Pembroke College, Cambridge

Leonie Ratty, Oxford University

Katja Kurbus, University of East London

Edward Maltby, St. Johns College, Cambridge

Keith J. Baker, De Montfort University, No Sweat

Michael Hance, Reading University

Richard Wyatt, Lancaster University

Alasdair Thompson, Edinburgh University, Union Executive

Jacob Bard-Rosenberg, Robinson College, Cambridge

Riccardo Pantone, University of East London

Rachael Ferguson, Sussex University

Leonie Hannan, Royal Holloway, University of London

Rebecca Barr, Jesus College, Cambridge

Pete Harris, VP Services, Edinburgh University

Dan Swain, King’s College, Cambridge

Clare Bielby, Edinburgh University

Houzan Mahmoud, Birkbeck College, UK representative of the Federation of

Workers’ Councils and Unions in Iraq.

Michael Bleisteiner, University of East London

Sobhi Samour, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London

Robert Lee, University of Sussex

Gary Dunion, Staffordshire University and Scottish Young Greens

Tim Freeman, Edinburgh University

Tim Perkins, Chair, Lancaster University Students’ Union

Donnacha Kirk, Churchill College, Cambridge

Hanif Leylabi, University of Leeds

Ruth Matthew, Associations Rep, University of Leicester Student’s Union

Andrew Weir, Edinburgh University, Scottish Socialist Students’ Society

Roger Hylton, President, University of Sussex Students’ Union

Abigael Candelas, University of Edinburgh

Andy Hix, Royal Holloway, University of London

Ian Burnett, Edinburgh University Socialist Society

Vicki Mann, Welfare and Graduates Officer, Cambridge University Students’ Union

Gordon Strachan, Stirling University

Charles Atkey, Sheffield University

Keshav Dogra, Edinburgh University

Richard Budden, President, Canterbury Christ Church University

Dave Isaacson, Leeds Metropolitan University and CPGB National Student Organiser.

Jaz Lovett, Leeds Metropolitan University

Dan Glass, President-elect, University of Sussex Students’ Union

Andy Higson, Communications Officer, Union of UEA Students

MFV Manassei, Edinburgh University

Matilda Guffogg, Truro College

Eamonn Coyle, Glasgow University SSP

Vicki Morris, University of Westminster, NUS and NUJ member

Martin Jopp, Liberations Officer, Union of UEA Students

James Kerr, Goldsmiths College