DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Working Time Directive

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 14:27
Working Time Directive

what a prick digby jones is

Quote:
The issue was about "freedom of choice", said the Director-General of the CBI, Sir Digby Jones.

"People who just do five hours a week overtime and use the money for a holiday. All I want to know is who's going to pay them for the money they lose."

as if he gives two fucks about some poor fecker and his holiday angry

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
May 11 2005 14:31

My interpretation of that has happened here is that the other countires in the EU, with a less decomposed working class and labour movement, had managed to force the WTD, and the degree of opt-out was small. The UK, with a weaker labour movement did not manage to prevent opt-out as much. European capital sought to undercut the perceived competetive edge of UK capital by closing the loophole.

Is that self consistent?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 14:43

makes sense what you say i guess, but does it really work like that?

why wouldn't european capital just take advantage of it and fly to the UK and make use of it

does capital have national boundries?

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
May 11 2005 15:13

hmmm..

Well, I do think that that explanation is part of the underlying reason for this decision. A large amount of EU capital is tied up in plant and equipment...

Diocletianus
Offline
Joined: 10-05-05
May 11 2005 15:14

I noticed the greaseball was blackmailing englsih workers by saying,if this happens the indains and chinese will be the victors.So work like a serf or we ship yer jobs abraod.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 15:41
pingtiao wrote:
hmmm..

Well, I do think that that explanation is part of the underlying reason for this decision. A large amount of EU capital is tied up in plant and equipment...

More so than in the financial & other services industry, which are easily moveable?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 15:43
Diocletianus wrote:
I noticed the greaseball was blackmailing englsih workers by saying,if this happens the indains and chinese will be the victors.So work like a serf or we ship yer jobs abraod.

that attitude, by digby, backs the argument that capital will just go to wherever it finds the best home

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
May 11 2005 15:54
oisleep wrote:
pingtiao wrote:
hmmm..

Well, I do think that that explanation is part of the underlying reason for this decision. A large amount of EU capital is tied up in plant and equipment...

More so than in the financial & other services industry, which are easily moveable?

Wellll....

Given that, you'd expect pressure from the owners of moveable capital to keep the loophole, and pressure to close it from EU business-owners in competition with UK businesses that can employ the loophole.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 16:03
pingtiao wrote:

Given that, you'd expect pressure from the owners of moveable capital to keep the loophole, and pressure to close it from EU business-owners in competition with UK businesses that can employ the loophole.

that's clear!

but does what you wrote not imply that (non-uk) EU capital is not moveable?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 11 2005 16:35

true, but given germany has a bigger economy than the UK anyway, is it not to be expcted

anyway, whether germany or france have a bigger manufacturing economy than the UK is not really the issue is it, is it not more the ratio within each country of moveable to non moveable capital, that would determine their preference?

yeah i always wondered what happened in the 80's, thanks for clearing that up, can you now help me out with my faulty understanding of a car park

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Offline
Joined: 9-10-03
May 12 2005 08:56

So am I right then?

Enquiring minds (mine) want to know...

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Offline
Joined: 20-04-05
May 12 2005 10:12

what was the question again??