Article on police repression of Chiapas, Oaxaca

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caiman del Barrio
Oct 8 2007 01:39
Article on police repression of Chiapas, Oaxaca

OK I just submitted a bit of a monster to News. It's slightly over the word limit, but I hope admin don't mind. It's only a first draft, so please feedback to me, but let me do any edits (it's a pride thing). It's easier for me to make a thread rather than randomly pick an admin to PM. i got the following points:

-embedded links in text or footnotes?
-can you wrap the text around the pictures perchance?
-should I credit any sources in more detail? I mean, if that woman on NarcoNews is pro-copyright...
etc

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 8 2007 15:43

excellent that looks great. pics i'm not sure.

EPR needs explaining what it is when it's first mentioned... apart from that looks great. nice one. cool

Mike Harman
Oct 8 2007 16:12

embedded images are a tough one at the moment - we don't have a standard way to do it and I think it's impossible for non-admins due to anti-hacker measures. I can do it for you though if you don't mind?

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 8 2007 17:03
John. wrote:
EPR needs explaining what it is when it's first mentioned...

Like how? Their politics or what? I could just embed a link to their Wiki page or something?

And RE: the pics, yeah sure wrap them Catch. I'll replace that one we discussed in a minute...

Mike Harman
Oct 8 2007 18:14
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
John. wrote:
EPR needs explaining what it is when it's first mentioned...

Like how? Their politics or what? I could just embed a link to their Wiki page or something?

I think John may have missed this: Ejército Popular Revolucionario (Popular Revolutionary Army – EPR). Maybe reverse it so it goes "EPR (Ej.........)", took me a little while to spot that was the same reference as well.

Quote:
And RE: the pics, yeah sure wrap them Catch. I'll replace that one we discussed in a minute...

Cool I'll wait for that.

embedded links vs. footnotes is up to you. Increasingly I think we should follow wikipedia for this kind of thing - immediately related internal links embedded, everything else footnotes (internal and external). To do footnotes, you just put everything that should be in the footnote itself in <fn></fn> tags in the place in the text, then drupal generates the number and the actual footnote for you.

also I've bumped your permissions a bit so you'll be able to use "some html allowed", which allows you to use footnotes.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 8 2007 18:34

OK I've reversed the acronyms and changed the picture. Not really sure I have the energy right now to discern which links are immediately related and which aren't. I personally think that having embedded links makes it easier to navigate. If you think it looks clumsy or unseemly then I'll change them when I get round to it.

Mike Harman
Oct 8 2007 18:54

One more thing - embedded images should be uploaded as files at the bottom of the post rather than linked externally (hopefully there's an upload form there) - sites that don't mind people using images often still mind if you link to them and steal their bandwidth. It also means if the site goes down in 6 months we've still got the image.

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 8 2007 19:07

oh ok...hold up.

EDIT: I uploaded the pictures as file attachments. Assume that's what you meant. Left the picture text in the main body though, as a rough guide to where I'd like the pics. wink

Mike Harman
Oct 8 2007 23:38

images done, article up. I'll actually read it tomorrow! wink

Caiman del Barrio
Oct 9 2007 00:25

Thanks. When do I get a blog? wink