Issues with the new theme

173 posts / 0 new
Last post
IDP
Aug 16 2012 03:32

Could you please delete this article: http://libcom.org/library/cio-reform-reaction

Since the formatting is so sloppy and there are so many errors, we've decided to post it on a new website where it can be edited and will be completely error-free. As it is, it's a disservice to the authors to have the footnotes be so inaccurate.

One of the main problems is that the preview function only allows 1 or 2 sentences to be seen before saving, so the whole text can't be seen nor can it be edited/corrected without admin approval. It means posting complex articles "blind" and having to spend unnecessary time communicating to moderators to get them fixed. Which is a shame, because the above article isn't really too long. It seems like it would be simply impossible to post a long pamphlet or book.

Thanks.

Harrison
Aug 18 2012 11:48

this isn't an issue, but a suggestion. solely on the "news" page ( http://libcom.org/news ) , i think it would look better if you didn't display the submitter name for articles. (it makes it look a bit indymedia and like it isn't proper news).

Spikymike
Aug 18 2012 11:59

Could still do with more 'printer friendly' versions of anything more than a page long for us oldies.

bastarx
Aug 18 2012 12:06

Apologies if this has been raised already but the hyperlinks are very hard to use on my Android (HTC Desire) phone. It appears that the actual links are somewhat above the text where they should be and are quite difficult to click on.

I haven't had this problem with any other websites.

Harrison
Aug 18 2012 12:17

another suggestion is making the bookmarks feature more prominent
- add a shortcut to the user bar at the top of the page (rather than having to go into myaccount > bookmarks)
- put a bookmark button in the top gray bar of an article (where the View and Edit links are located), rather than at the very end of the page where no one can see it!

other than that i love the new theme

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 18 2012 16:23
Harrison wrote:
another suggestion is making the bookmarks feature more prominent
- add a shortcut to the user bar at the top of the page (rather than having to go into myaccount > bookmarks)
- put a bookmark button in the top gray bar of an article (where the View and Edit links are located), rather than at the very end of the page where no one can see it!

other than that i love the new theme

that's a good idea - although maybe it would be good to have it alongside twitter/Facebook/Google plus

Peter wrote:
Apologies if this has been raised already but the hyperlinks are very hard to use on my Android (HTC Desire) phone. It appears that the actual links are somewhat above the text where they should be and are quite difficult to click on.

I haven't had this problem with any other websites.

that's weird… Basically I think we would like to have a specific mobile theme soon. If someone would like to volunteer to help sort it out that would be brilliant!

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Aug 22 2012 15:14

I can't access any of my PMs, recent or otherwise, I just get the 404. Can I get them back?

sabot's picture
sabot
Aug 22 2012 15:40

I'm only able to view recent posts instead of the general forum. Not sure, maybe a browser issue??

Inhousejoke
Aug 25 2012 01:05
aquacrunk wrote:
Hey, don't know if this has been brought up, or if anyone else is experiencing this, but I cant go to to different pages on the forums or browse through pages in the library. inside the threads it works fine, but everywhere else- no go. it just shows the most recent featured articles. I've tried srware Iron and firefox. anyone else getting this?

edit: that was happening for the last couple days and as soon as I post about it it stops...figures eek

I'm getting the same thing at the moment, at least on "tag" lists, i.e. im scrolling down a list of articles under a certain tag (this particular tag was Dublin lol), then when you try and go to the second page it just shows one of the featured articles as the only thing there

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 25 2012 10:33

Yes, this is a known issue whereby the pager all across the site malfunctions intermittently. We are working on a fix

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 25 2012 18:10
IDP wrote:

One of the main problems is that the preview function only allows 1 or 2 sentences to be seen before saving, so the whole text can't be seen nor can it be edited/corrected without admin approval. It means posting complex articles "blind" and having to spend unnecessary time communicating to moderators to get them fixed.

It seems like it would be simply impossible to post a long pamphlet or book.

^this

Also could the edits to this article be approved; http://libcom.org/library/credit-romanticism-golden-pincers-zachary-atla...

The bug (probably mentioned already) is that italics in footnotes make them partly reappear in the maintext, so I deleted some italics now. Or I put a space between them in the hope that works. Like so. Thanks." href="#footnote1_rpfwa3r">1

• 1. Like so.
    Thanks.
Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 25 2012 18:11

doesn't work, so never mind the approval neutral

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 25 2012 18:44

Noa, footnotes with formatted text in only display properly in the input format Full HTML. We can't allow all users to post in that format because that would open us up to hackers. So if you just post in the comments asking for it to be changed it will be. Looks like someone has already done it on your article. Cheers

Noa Rodman's picture
Noa Rodman
Aug 25 2012 19:31

I see thanks, but is there nothing I can do about the several footnotes still popping up in the text (even if I were allowed, I have no experience in HTML).

As a general comment, I feel the narrow layout makes longer texts difficult to read. When you get to after the end of the side-bar with "featured" and info, there is just massive white space. Perhaps the text can then be broadened. Maybe it's because the new width is better on e-readers? I like the marxists.org style of entire screen width so you don't have to scroll all the time.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Aug 25 2012 20:00

I'd imagine the narrow format is in line with the normal design standards that pitch optimal character count at between 50 and 70:

http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 25 2012 23:04
Noa Rodman wrote:
I see thanks, but is there nothing I can do about the several footnotes still popping up in the text (even if I were allowed, I have no experience in HTML).

okay I see what you mean now. Don't worry you don't need to know HTML, that's something for editors. I have fixed it now. If it ever happens again (which you will have you have footnotes with formatted text) just say in the comments and we will sort it

Fleur
Aug 28 2012 21:07

Hit the next button at the bottom of the forums page and it takes me to the Intro to the State page, which is very good, by the way, but not what I was looking for.

Zirkus
Aug 29 2012 10:33

Hi, the problem with narrow layout is exacerbated if you use a very high resolution. On my screen it is like I am browsing on a mobile site. Could you possibly sort the width to a % of screen rather than a fixed number?

Armchair Anarchist's picture
Armchair Anarchist
Sep 2 2012 13:27

Not really an issue with the new theme as I think it was the same with the old one, but if you actually want people to donate then I would stick the donate link above the fold, rather than burying it in the footer...

Armchair Anarchist
Sep 19 2012 09:30

URLs stick out of the containing element in blog comments, e.g, here (2nd comment by rooieravotr):

http://libcom.org/blog/greece-coming-place-near-you-16092012#comments

You can fix this by adding the following styles to the .comment class:

-ms-word-break: break-all;
word-break: break-all;

// Non standard for webkit
word-break: break-word;

-webkit-hyphens: auto;
-moz-hyphens: auto;
hyphens: auto;

Probably worth testing this though, pick a few random pages just to check it doesn't break anything else (it shouldn't)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 19 2012 10:26

Brilliant, cheers!

Armchair Anarchist
Oct 30 2012 23:37

The page links seem to be fubarred, clicking on '2' takes to me a page with virtually no content except for a graphic and a link to 'Round-ups, detention camps and deportations', and the following text and tags:

Quote:
The anti-immigrant operations continue and expand across Greece. Detention camps, round-ups and harassment are now state policy.

tags: fascism, Greece, migration, race, Thrasybulus