News

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Nov 13 2007 10:11

blog entries will show up in tags, but not anywhere else particularly.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 20 2007 06:35

http://libcom.org/news/france-transport-strikes-enter-second-week-20112007

picture's buggered I'm knackered and can't fix it and when I try to preview it to chck I've done it right the pictures all get deleted and I have to reload them.

didn't get the interview yet but I'm going to try and do it today at the big demo. Might also go to the rail workers coordination meeting if I can.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 21 2007 10:24

nice one mate!

magnifico
Nov 21 2007 12:01

Hi admins,

I posted up the latest Building Worker newsletter in the news forum today - I'd like to put it in as a news story as well, it does contain news of recent events only it doesn't fit in with your guidelines regarding tone (ie it is very ranty). let me know what you reckon - no worries if you don't want that kind of thing on there.

good article jef cool

Mike Harman
Nov 21 2007 12:08

magnifico:

Stuff like that we normally ask people to summarise the content in your own words so it meets the style guide, then quote ranty bits "The building workers newsletter said:"

And by the way, thanks for checking!!!

magnifico
Nov 21 2007 12:10

ok thanks - i'm really snowed under with my dissertation at the moment, but i'll try and find time to do that soonish

Mike Harman
Nov 21 2007 12:20

or like John said - in the library.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 21 2007 17:11

for me to add:
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bus-peace-hopes-grow-after-unions-agree-to-contain-picket-1219892.html

also add tgv sabotage

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 28 2007 04:08

http://libcom.org/news/france-rail-workers-end-strikes-27112007
attached picture in the end won't show up when I add it, it's not a great picture so I left it. I think it's the title but I am a bit pushed for time and I want to go in and visit the blockades tomorrow.

I like the new sectors tags, they're all fancy like the regions tags, just one thing, how do I add more than one sector or region? I se John.'s done it but I wasn't sure if he'd put them in as tags or if there's a clever way to do it.

Also for the France stuff I've decided that the school stuff needs its own tag and the french seem to have sttled on LRU rather than loi pecresse or law on autonomy so I'm going with LRU.

Also I'm considering editing the assemblies tag to assemblee generale because I think I'm the only one that uses it and it would be more accurate. I won't do it without checking the tag first to see who else has used it of course.

I didn;t realise library needed moderation too smile

[url=library/account-assemblée-générale-staff-nanterre-university-271107]This account[/url] is a bit long and there aren't any pictures, is it worth me going into so much detail in future? I could always do a shorter account and then put a boring one like this up in my blog.

If I've attached photos to an aticle can I then use them again in another article without re-uploading them?

also the report on the student meeting the pictures are all fucked up. I can't face fixing it, it's 5am. Thanks. I think the problem I had earlier was html allowed but I can't face that either.

Incidentally the France unrest front page, does it the feed come from news and the tag or just the tag? cause we've now got a few things in the library and I will put up some stuff if I get time tomorrow. I have stuff for interviews but I might do more tomorrow and that way have more to say.

Mike Harman
Nov 28 2007 10:22

Jef, you should be able to unmoderate your own stuff now, but let me know if not.

Quote:
how do I add more than one sector or region?

CTRL-click should work. DON'T ADD THEM AS TAGS.

assemblies to AG sounds fine if it's not used elsewhere.

haven't read the account yet but long and no pictures is fine for the library smile

Re-using photos - not yet, maybe in Easter smile you can link manually if you want from the text area just like any other photo, but otherwise no.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 28 2007 15:06

I can't unmoderate my stuff at the moment. Although library stuff didn't need moderation before I don't think.

Don;t worry I'm not going to add them as tags, I'm not entirely stupid wink

Mike Harman
Nov 28 2007 15:31

I'm thinking about restricting sectors and regions to editors, then re-enabling freetagging to make adding them quicker (we'd still have the benefit of the re-organisation, without the clunky select box). Let me know if you think that's worthwhile.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 28 2007 16:04

Well it might be bit confusing for some because it would seem like it wasn't possible to add certain tags etc. It would also create extra work for moderators. Mind you the sectors box is clunky enough that the IRan article was marked transport and not buses so the risk wouldn't be as big.
You mean freetagging for editors or for everyone?
I'm pretty sure I already have fretagging (being able to make up my own tags) already. I think it was restrited for a good reason and opening it up again would bring back all those same problems.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 30 2007 00:49

http://libcom.org/news/france-repression-student-movement-intensifies-30112007

Changed the 'description' of the attached photo from the file name to an actual description but it doesn't show up. Is there a way to do mouse overs etc? or put labels on the phot, I'd like it known that the picture was fom the Censier campus (I came across it by accident on Sunday smile )

Also how do I sumbit a photo that needs to turn 90 degrees? Do I need photoshop or is there a simpler way?

http://libcom.org/news/france-students-demonstrate-paris-30112007

the second photo looks good full size but I'm not sure as it is, I can switch the photo tomorrow night if you like. I was going to do a gallery but it's 2am and I'm going in early again tomorrow smile

Mike Harman
Nov 30 2007 10:56

Jef - title shows up on mouseovers, fine to put same for title and descriptin.

90 degree rotate - you can do this in XP with the "windows picture and fax viewer" or any photo programme will do it. If you want free one without hassle of downloading then gimp.org is pretty good.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 30 2007 14:24

I rotated in with picture viewer but I didn't realise that would affect the saved file. thanks.
I'll give picture titles a go again later on then.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 10 2007 12:29

news - blocks missing?
http://libcom.org/news

Mike Harman
Dec 10 2007 12:31

weird - there in the admin panel, but not showing up.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 10 2007 13:20

Could that be because there's nothing in the sectors?
Maybe the fix where you ask for submissions got lost in an upgrade.

magnifico
Dec 17 2007 18:49

Libcom is currently second on a google search for 'Karen Reissman' and 'Karen Reissman strike' (the latter is second only to the same article which someone's copied onto indymedia with a link back to the libcom news page)

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 17 2007 18:58
magnifico wrote:
Libcom is currently second on a google search for 'Karen Reissman' and 'Karen Reissman strike' (the latter is second only to the same article which someone's copied onto indymedia with a link back to the libcom news page)

that's annoying, not as bad as when it's infoshop though smile

magnifico
Dec 17 2007 19:08

it seems to be happening with all my articles, not sure if it happens with every libcom article, or if someone on indymedia just likes me a lot lol. i think it's quite good actually, cos it gets the message out and whoever's doing it links it back to here as well

Mike Harman
Dec 17 2007 19:22
Quote:
i think it's quite good actually, cos it gets the message out and whoever's doing it links it back to here as well

Yes it's good. The amount of articles on here nicked from other sites (which we credit wherever possible) we can't complain when people do it to us!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 17 2007 23:42
magnifico wrote:
think it's quite good actually, cos it gets the message out and whoever's doing it links it back to here as well

It's good when they link back (which to be fair infoshop and indymedia nearly always do.) it's just a bit annoying when you've gone to the effort of putting something up only for someone to nick your google ranking. I used to have quite a few top google rankings back in the day. I couda bin a contender smile

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 18 2007 10:10

Yeah we've had a bunch of search engine referrals for her I think. Nice on magnifico! (for me we're higher than IMC - and also we would like to encourage people to post our articles to indymedia, and link back to us)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 18 2007 15:25

nb the news index is still fucked...

Mike Harman
Dec 18 2007 15:50

I think we should take the opportunity to redo it a bit, especially since I've got no idea how to fix it wink

Need to old thread which has saii's mockup and stuff.

And I need to uninstall jquery update because it's messing with panels a bit. Will do that the next day or so when we can get started.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 18 2007 23:08

Cheers whoever fixed up my latest news posting (on the Port Of Napier strike) a little before approving - sorry, was in a massive rush, copied it across from Aotearoa Indymedia (where another editor had written it as a feature) and didn't have time to properly do it up....

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 18 2007 23:10

no worries!

Mike Harman
Dec 19 2007 14:01
Mike Harman wrote:
And I need to uninstall jquery update because it's messing with panels a bit. Will do that the next day or so when we can get started.

Done this - so panels should work (although it's still alpha) - which means we can get started smile