Private message upgrade

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Jul 27 2008 08:49
Private message upgrade

I've just upgraded the private message software. Couple of new features, also there was a database upgrade, so let me know if any issues.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Aug 18 2008 16:33

Any chance of getting back the ability to know if the pms sent have been read or not? This is especially handy in the case of less regular posters.

Love

LW XX

petey
Aug 18 2008 20:07

(useless comment deleted)

Mike Harman
Aug 18 2008 20:28

1. I'm not sure that feature still exists.
2. I didn't know it existed in the first place and I'm not sure I like the idea of it that much.

So it'll need a lot of votes, cos at the moment, it's 1 vs. 1 and I have to do the work wink

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Aug 18 2008 21:28

Catch yeah it did and was useful and not as intrusive as the tracker system which some seem to favour tongue

However if other people aren't leaping up and down for this then i quite understand your priorities; it is not as if i can offer assistance on the techy stuff. smile

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Aug 20 2008 16:33

The feature that alerted you to the fact you had a PM seems to have vanished. I just checked mine by chance and discovered, much to my surprise, that I had some waiting for me! Could this be put back in?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 24 2008 10:46

I think that issue has been resolved dem.

One problem I have is that if I click on the 'send pm' link it takes me to my inbox. It's easy enough to send a pm from there but there's no point having the useless link.

Catch in the outbox it used to say if the person had opened the message or not. It can be a useful thing but probably not enough to make it worth a lot of work.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 24 2008 13:41

No, having that pm 'read or not' feature is fucking creepy.
DO NOT WANT

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 24 2008 17:20

Basically LW has admitted she is a stalker.

Mike Harman
Aug 24 2008 19:37
Quote:
One problem I have is that if I click on the 'send pm' link it takes me to my inbox. It's easy enough to send a pm from there but there's no point having the useless link.

Yeah, the address changed for that page, so the link is broke. Will get to it at some point but I'm in the middle of a major Drupal version upgrade of the whole site, which'll change all this stuff anyway, so that might happen first.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Aug 24 2008 20:08

yeah fuck that feature, it's creepy

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 24 2008 22:09
Steven. wrote:
yeah fuck that feature, it's creepy

agreed smile

Demogorgon303's picture
Demogorgon303
Aug 25 2008 10:23
Quote:
I think that issue has been resolved dem.

Yeah, but now no-one is sending me any. The bastards.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 26 2008 12:23

Does this mean it's creepy for me to have delivery reports on my mobile?

Quote:
Basically LW has admitted she is a stalker.

I think it's just an extension of her caring nature.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 26 2008 14:50

Eh no it is creep stalker shit
'I need to know if they have read their post and how long they are taking to reply'

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 26 2008 15:46

sounds like you are a classic bully going after someone who is "competent, caring, diligent, empathic...the kind of person who is likely to be affected by bullying actions."

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 26 2008 16:19

eh, don't be a shit stirring wanker jef, I think LW is sound
I just think that function is just stupid creepy shit and unneccesary

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 26 2008 17:28

I'm so bored I am probably going to have to do something constructive soon sad

radicalgraffiti
Aug 26 2008 17:55

I don't see how its any worse than the thing that tells you when txts have been read, then again I did turn it off on my old phone cause I thought it was kind of creepy smile (then I turned it back on again cause it's useful)

Mike Harman
Aug 26 2008 20:32

I didn't know it existed on phones, and that's even worse. The whole point of texts is that you can read them, or not, and reply at your leisure.

Deezer
Aug 26 2008 21:18

Yeah, having yer phone buzz to tell you when someone has read the text you sent them is fuckin awful, causes all sorts of rows and paranoia (with people who use this function).

Mike Harman
Aug 26 2008 21:33

At one of my old jobs, everyone had to have 'require read receipt' switched on by default for Outlook. So this one guy set up previews, and read every single email in there. Used to have about 200 unread non-spam e-mails at any one time.

radicalgraffiti
Aug 26 2008 21:50

With phones it doesn't actually tell you when some one reads a message just when they receive it, some times it is useful, like when people have no signal, so you don't send loads of messages when you are trying to meet up or some thing.
I don't have it turned on on my current phone, because i am to lazy to figure out how, and because it not really essential, plus people should respond in there own time.
Also its pretty annoying when you think you have a message and its just a receipt

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Aug 26 2008 22:07

jesus, my phone doesn't have that!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Aug 27 2008 10:32

Phone reports can't be sent as a text message (this is for losers that no one ever messages) or you can have it that it remembers. It pops up a little thing saying delivered, usually after a few seconds. Like RG says it can be useful especially when there is poor reception, like in London where people can be on the tube and not receive messages, or when I was on holiday up north recently and didn't have reception a llot of the time. Although I did nearly get lynched for having a devil box, I got out of that by telling them that it wasn't a devil box, just a demon that I had imprisoned.

dee
Aug 31 2008 17:03

sounds more like you were on the Isle of Wight then up north.

Lone Wolf's picture
Lone Wolf
Aug 31 2008 17:21
dee wrote:
sounds more like you were on the Isle of Wight then up north.

Yeah the IOW is pretty weird in that respect. Pal of mine who lives there has only recently got a reliable broadband connection. eek Pretty bizarre given that the IOW is not exactly a remote outpost neutral - it is only a hop skip and a jump away from the mainland.

To allay any stalker tendency concerns people may have tongue i am just relieved to know that any message i send via any medium has been received. My fam who are a bit paranoid at the best of times failed to believe i had written to them twice, second time recorded delivery - nowt ever reached them so snailmail is as bad. sad Having said this, you can be given false reassurance via technology which is even worse - twice on MySpace i got upset pms from people asking why i had not replied to them, both times MS had showed the message as "read". I resent them. i think they believed me. Catch should be in charge of everything techie in the universe, then things would run smoothly. cool

Refused's picture
Refused
Sep 3 2008 18:19

I no longer seem to get a message telling me if I have new PMs. Teh halpz?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Sep 21 2008 03:00

The send pm link on people's posts is sending me to my inbox or sentbox again. The link in profiles still works fine though.