Upgrade issues

220 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 17:56
Upgrade issues

Please post any upgrade-related issues in this thread.

Known issues:
formatting buttons only work on comments (not new forum topics etc.)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 3 2008 19:03

Latest library articles seems to not be displaying actual latest library articles

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 19:06

Fixed, was ordering by sticky as well as by date.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 3 2008 19:07

I'll only add things here that I haven't mentioned on the other thread.

- map box is displaying on every page (and presumably unless the map starts blank until you select a tag for it to display then it will still have the problem of crashing everything a lot right?)
- related items box not yet displaying -4 related stories would be good

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 3 2008 20:17

I don't know if it's just me but libcom is pretty slow right now.
The design looks great but the front page seems to be mostly taken up with stuff that isn't content and you can't see any content that isn't news without scrolling down.

Some clearer boundaries within the forums front page would be good to, it's not really well defined now, although that might just take some getting used to.

I like the bottom bar, it's got lots of good stuff in it but does this mean we're doing away with side bars altogether? They're a bit more eyecatching I think.

martinh
Dec 3 2008 20:24

I'm having a problem with private messages, when I click on my unread one, I get the following message:

Read private message
There are no messages available to display.

Also, has the tracker gone?

Regards,

Martin

martinh
Dec 3 2008 20:38

Oh and I keep on getting logged out sad

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 3 2008 20:41

There's 'recent posts' in the top left corner Martin but I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 20:44

private messages are messed up. None will be lost, but I need to work on the upgrade path a bit.

Sidebar will have stuff when it's set up.

Tracker is 'recent posts' - there's also unread messages and a forum tracker on the forums index.

Front page will have different stuff featured - but that needs setting up too.

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 21:03

private messages fixed.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Dec 3 2008 21:04

In comments to posted items (or at least blog posts) one comment sort of goes into the next one. Also the shading of quotes is very pale, making it almost impossible to discern where the quote starts and ends.

petey
Dec 3 2008 21:05

when i click on "gallery" at top, and go to the gallery, and click on an individual image from any page to enlarge, and then go back, i'm always sent back to the fist image page, not to the page on which the image is.

ps - i love nemo's penguin.

radicalgraffiti
Dec 3 2008 21:30

If i click on the map tab i get the error message

Quote:
The Google Maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://code.google.com/apis/maps/.

But after i click OK the map seems to work properly

Also shouldn't the save button below the comment box be "post comment"?

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 21:32

map should be fixed now.

The save button - it used to be, but not any more.

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 21:33

@khawaga: quotes should be a bit more obvious now. Comments everywhere now look like they do here.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 3 2008 22:41

Wow looks nice, not sure about leading so heavily with the news on the front page tho, relies on having three leads a day to seem regularly updated which isn't happening at the moment, and having them so big obscures the rest of the content as well. Maybe make it three deck so like:

News 1---Library---Map
News 2---Blog---Who's online
News 3---History---Forum post

Just so you've got that immediate lead-in before people scroll down to the bottom (also, not the pic of the evolving policeman, nooo). I dunno how much you're intending on fiddling tho, and otherwise don't want to criticise cos it looks v good.

Mike Harman
Dec 3 2008 23:31

Rob - the front page will change soonish to have 'featured' stuff instead - but we couldn't do that properly until after upgrading the database.

Similar articles is now working - although this required switching off block_caching, so reminder to self to sort that later.

Mike Harman
Dec 4 2008 00:39

Did a couple of things which should speed things up a bit. If it's still running slow for you let me know.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 4 2008 01:00

In IE7, the boxes at the bottom are overlapping the text here at least:
http://libcom.org/notes/sections

Libcom.org/organise is not forwarding to the organise index (I I just now realise that that was a panel, and we don't have panels now).

It would be good if book outlines were displayed maybe in the right-hand column? Here's a sample book page:
http://libcom.org/organise/workplace-organising

radicalgraffiti
Dec 4 2008 01:45

I think there might be a problem with the go to new post function, at least for threads with more than one page, when I click on new with threads of more than one page it just takes me to the start.

Mike Harman
Dec 4 2008 09:14

Thanks radicalgraffiti, that's been fixed in Drupal core - but wasn't fixed in the custom tracker. Switched back to the old one (which includes posts in libcommunity), and will work on fixing properly in views.

Book outlines are now in the right sidebar.

Organise we'll need to think how to do that differently now there's no panels.

Looking into IE7.

Mike Harman
Dec 4 2008 09:39
Jack wrote:
Might be being stupid, but how do i quote normally?

So that i can break up a post and reply in parts.

Quoting should work now.

Jason Cortez
Dec 4 2008 10:02

Is it possible to have narrower comments when there is only a sentence or two, it looks rather chunky and makes it seem clunky? But it is looking good

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 4 2008 12:10

Forum thread marking as read/unread seems to be a bit off - I came on and it told me all forums were fully read, however there were actually 2 new posts in the look of the site thread in the Feedback forum.

On a happier note, hooray for a "mark all as read" option, been wanting one of them for ages!

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 4 2008 14:17

It's very, very slow for me right now...

Mike Harman
Dec 4 2008 16:53

Yeah the server's getting hit pretty hard. Still tracking down where that's coming from...

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 5 2008 00:14

In forum indexes the bottom box overlaps a lot of the rest of the page...

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 00:59

Steven: which browser?

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 5 2008 01:39

Yep, forum marking as read/unread is def way off. Came back on this afternoon (last post was last night for me) and it told me only Organise forum had unread posts, whereas there were another 4 or 5 forums that had them. When I go into the forums themselves, the topics seem to be correctly marked as read/unread.

robot's picture
robot
Dec 5 2008 04:22

Sorry to say, but the old site (www.libcom.org is broken for more than 24 hours now without any explanation why) was far better. Not only from the optical usability, but from the information architecture as well. I usually browse the "recent posts" overview for the forum to navigate. There is no possibility to exclude forums from the view (which I use widely) now. There is not even an indication which forum a posting belongs to in the overview. The color model is disfunctional. The important information is in light blue with low contrast towards the background, the "updated" information is in bright red an such gets far more prominent than it should be. The date is in black and thus more emphasized than any other information except the "updated" status. This color model puts the the relevance of informations from head to feet. Same goes for the forum postings. Posters name in light blue with little contrast but irrelevant information (Date of joining) in black. Bandwidth consuming gimmicks (customized posters icons) far to big and space consuming especially in short postings. Navigation elements (Online/offline, contact, PM hardly viewable at all due to lack of contrast to the backgound. Other elements (the box in the bottom of each page) are good ideas.

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 09:27
Quote:
I usually browse the "recent posts" overview for the forum to navigate. There is no possibility to exclude forums from the view (which I use widely) now.

That's coming later. This is primarily just updating software to the latest secure version so far, and cleaning a bunch of things up so it's easier to add things in than it was before. A lot of features and old stuff which needs reimplementing hasn't been done yet.

Quote:
Navigation elements (Online/offline, contact, PM hardly viewable at all due to lack of contrast to the backgound.

Those icons come with the 'advanced forum' module which does a lot of things we used to do with custom code - it's very easy to swap them out for different icons, but that requires someone making the icons or finding a decent set somewhere.

Quote:
Other elements (the box in the bottom of each page) are good ideas.

Cool, that and the author/tags listings in the library are about the only things that I'm generally happy with. Lots of work still to do.