Upgrade issues

220 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 5 2008 10:23

I don’t think the blue/black model is that much of an issue, the headline information is positioned prominently at the top and is marked out as different to the main content by the colour, which is largely sufficient in terms of drawing the eyes to it - unlike with a newspaper once people have logged on the headlines aren’t competing with other content like you’d get on a magazine rack, so they don’t need to be huge and dominant in the same way.

They could probably be sightly more demarcated by say bringing them up a point size or making the blue a touch darker (though I’d probably leave non-headlines at the lighter blue, which is perfectly readable). I’d probably agree about the updated thing, personally I’d drop red from the palette altogether as it’s too in-your-face compared to the rest of the content – maybe a muted green?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 5 2008 10:55

Yes, everyone should be aware that the current theme is only for testing, while the actual infrastructure of the site gets upgraded and working properly. A lot of the stuff related to design will probably change in the near future.

Catch sorry I forgot to mention, it's IE7

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 11:03

new/updated changed to green, thanks. That's the default colour and I'd not even thought about changing it yet - like Steven. said, assume that for a lot of things at the moment.

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 11:06

Steven - I don't have IE7 handy - can you upload a screenshot, or e-mail me one? http://browsershots.org/http://libcom.org/forums/news looks fine...

Django's picture
Django
Dec 5 2008 11:31

If I access the site by typing www.libcom.org in the browser or use old bookmarks I just get a white page with 'It works!" at the top, but if I just type libcom.org or search for the site it works fine. This is in firefox.

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 12:02

www.libcom.org should redirect to http://libcom.org now. If it doesn't, might be browser history - but let me know.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 5 2008 12:11
robot wrote:
Not only from the optical usability, but from the information architecture as well.

have you seen the new library navigation?

Django's picture
Django
Dec 5 2008 12:11

It works now, ta.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 5 2008 12:13

Catch, lots of external links which are directed to hear pointed at pages which begin www.so maybe one redirect wouldn't be enough...

Screenshot is here:
http://img165.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brokenscreenshopat0.jpg

Threads are okay, it's just on the indexes

On the colour scheme, actually I think the default red was best. If anything was to change I think it should actually be making some of the other colours a bit brighter - making the light blue richer for example, say royal blue. Everything looks a bit washed out at the moment.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 5 2008 12:27

TinyMCE (I assume thats what you're using?) is missing when you create a new topic, only there in replies...

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 13:16

Steven - it'll go to the http://libcom.org equivalent page, don't worry wink

Asher - we're using bueditor, don't like tinymce much, not worked out why it's failing on node/add yet though.

Colour scheme - blue is the same one we used to use on the old site - I don't mind changing stuff - but ideally need #123456 codes for new colours 'cos that stuff gives me a headache.

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 13:24

IE7 looks fixed according to http://browsershots.org/screenshots/1779acc794f41d03d5d6a45a9d52a2af/ - but someone please confirm either way.

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Dec 5 2008 13:33

Just flicked open IE7 to test - works fine for me.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 5 2008 13:37

That's strange, it's not working to me - it's still overlapping, and I see it's not just in indexes. It's overlapping in this thread as well.

Also, related articles block is displaying on forum pages, which it shouldn't. I tried looking through the admin pages for the blocks section to fix this myself, but I couldn't figure it out

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 5 2008 13:50

- don't have a link to post intros in submit content page

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 5 2008 14:01

hmm maybe #336699 for the blue, which is a bit darker but shouldn't overwhelm and maybe #006600 for the green? There's a colour wheel here.

Ed's picture
Ed
Dec 5 2008 17:50

Authors who've had articles added after we wrote introductions for them are still having their intros pushed down the page i.e. Alex Aspden..

http://libcom.org/tags/alex-aspden

Mike Harman
Dec 5 2008 21:35

Main tracker now excludes libcommunity and the bin and #new links work with it like that.

Jason Cortez
Dec 5 2008 23:25

Can we get rid of the avatars, i know people like to 'personalise' but there just annoying distractions that use up bandwidth and make short posts use up too much space. Plus they ruin the good design element. It is like pebble dashing a Walter Gropius.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 6 2008 16:04

Sorry about the downtime everyone, I had to restart the server. We know what the problem is we think and will hopefully sorted out soon, so hopefully this won't happen again after that.

Catch I can't see how to edit the content type of this intro to library. Because there are two intros in this section:
http://libcom.org/intro/russian-revolution-1917-1921

Ed, the reason some of the intros are dropping down the list is because they are not set to be sticky. Catch said not to bother making them all sticky because he would edit the theme so they were automatically at the top in some way that looked good.

However, that might take a little while to get going so in the meantime I reckon it would be best if all current intros were edited to make them all sticky, and all intros were set as sticky by default.

MT
Dec 6 2008 16:52

some comments to the new Libcom look:

- when someone writes only 1 sentence it creates a gap, free space because there is a minimum size of the "reply window" (not the one where we write but the one we see when we look at the post, sorry, my English is bad). it distracts attention and make me nervous hehe

- articles at the front page miss dates which is really baaad

- the layout of forum topics (the list of recent forums/posts - http://libcom.org/forum/tracker) is certainly worse than the one before although I don't know how to make it better now... I just know I have to concentrate much more to read the topic titles. There are somehow too close to each other, hard to explain what is bad there sad It just looks pale, undistinctive... Black font might work batter than the blue one perhaps.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 6 2008 16:57
MT wrote:
when someone writes only 1 sentence it creates a gap, free space because there is a minimum size of the "reply window"

i've had a look at some other forums that use the same layout, and they seem to get around this by having a smaller avatar/user pic, which allows the minimum post size to be smaller.

MT wrote:
articles at the front page miss dates which is really baaad

we could include submitted date, but the problem would be we don't add news really regularly so it could make the site look out of date. it might be better to not refer to 'yesterday' or 'today' in intros, only names of days perhaps?

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 6 2008 17:07

you could free up some space by moving the pm button (and the button next to it that doesn't seem to do anything. While I'm at it can we have a pm button that in some way identifies itself as such?) That would make the side bit shorter. You could also take out join date as well.
To be honest avatars don't look that good and I'd rather have poster info (location etc) than an avatar.

The other thing you could do, don't know if this is possible, but you could middle justify (vertically) the text in a post. Would probably solve the problem of short posts looking shit.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 6 2008 17:15

i think if we can halve the minimum post height we'll be ok, i quite like avatars but think we should shrink them...

Mike Harman
Dec 6 2008 18:17
Steven. wrote:
Sorry about the downtime everyone, I had to restart the server. We know what the problem is we think and will hopefully sorted out soon, so hopefully this won't happen again after that.

Yep, the main issue is fixed now hopefully, and I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Quote:
Catch I can't see how to edit the content type of this intro to library. Because there are two intros in this section:
http://libcom.org/intro/russian-revolution-1917-1921

We don't have that module installed yet - I'll check for a D6 version or can maybe write a small one.

Quote:
Ed, the reason some of the intros are dropping down the list is because they are not set to be sticky. Catch said not to bother making them all sticky because he would edit the theme so they were automatically at the top in some way that looked good.

However, that might take a little while to get going so in the meantime I reckon it would be best if all current intros were edited to make them all sticky, and all intros were set as sticky by default.

Thanks! I'd forgotten saying that and couldn't work out why the sticky ordering was broken in views neutral - you can do this in bulk at admin/content/node by the way.

Mike Harman
Dec 6 2008 18:20
MT wrote:
- when someone writes only 1 sentence it creates a gap, free space because there is a minimum size of the "reply window" (not the one where we write but the one we see when we look at the post, sorry, my English is bad). it distracts attention and make me nervous hehe

Yeah this is default. Easy to reduce the size, but as has been said, need to decide what to do with avatars (which are also default but I left them switched on).

Quote:
- articles at the front page miss dates which is really baaad

Can add that back in, quite like it without but I think Steven wanted dates back too.

Quote:
- the layout of forum topics (the list of recent forums/posts - http://libcom.org/forum/tracker) is certainly worse than the one before although I don't know how to make it better now... I just know I have to concentrate much more to read the topic titles. There are somehow too close to each other, hard to explain what is bad there

Yep this needs fixing.

Mike Harman
Dec 6 2008 18:20
Joseph K. wrote:
it might be better to not refer to 'yesterday' or 'today' in intros, only names of days perhaps?

I think that's in some style guides, or maybe the other way 'round. Rob Ray?

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Dec 6 2008 19:10

If dates aren't obvious always state them in full and never use today, last week or yesterday. You can get away with it in a newspaper done specifically for the date in question, but a news site stays online permanently so it needs to be clear.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 6 2008 20:09
Mike Harman wrote:
Thanks! I'd forgotten saying that and couldn't work out why the sticky ordering was broken in views neutral - you can do this in bulk at admin/content/node by the way.

okay, I've made it difficult to sticky. When I tried to edit all of them to make them sticky, it would only do one page of them at a time - is there some way I can do all of them?

radicalgraffiti
Dec 6 2008 20:22
Jack wrote:
Really, really minor thing - only Opera (not IE or Chrome, not got Firefox to test it) sometimes when you scroll dowm to the grey box, the 4 of the headings (library history, comments and notes) sometimes appear black and sometimes the top half black and the rest normal colour until you hover the mouse over it. Comments and notes less often, but it's worse for them as the black of the evolution image completely obscures the text.

On google chrome - the heading fonts on the grey box at the bottom look really really ugly, and the main colume taks up a lot more of the page. Actually on Chrome as a whole it looks kinda ugly - fonts along the top ugly too. I think Safari is built on the same base as Chrome so it might look crappy on that too?

I use safari and it looks fine to me, is chrome maybe using default fonts instead of the ones libcom wants?