Last post
proletarian.
May 17 2014 21:49
Why is there no Europe sub-forum?

Why is there no Europe sub-forum?

Theft's picture
Theft
May 19 2014 00:58

I asked the same question a few years ago. http://libcom.org/forums/feedback-content/no-europe-19082011

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
May 19 2014 01:15

I think the main reason is that there are not users from those regions to make having a subforum viable. Additionally, if we're talking about different languages, we do not have the capacity yet to moderate a multilingual forum. At least, that's the answer I remember from years ago...

proletarian.
May 19 2014 01:27
Theft wrote:
I asked the same question a few years ago. http://libcom.org/forums/feedback-content/no-europe-19082011

I searched before I started a thread but didn't come across yours. Surprised there wasn't more discussion.

proletarian.
May 19 2014 01:50
Juan Conatz wrote:
I think the main reason is that are not users from those regions to make having a subforum viable. Additionally, if we're talking about different languages, we do not have the capacity yet to moderate a multilingual forum. At least, that's the answer I remember from years ago...

Are there more users from say Africa and Asia on Libcom than Europe? Surely those two forums I have just mentioned would potentially require multilingual moderation. Is there a danger this site is really only for English speakers,

Lastly, presumably most of the stuff that happens in Europe goes straight into the news sub-forum. That could lead (or has) to a problem of emphasizing Europe over other continents on the site in general.

Just a few thoughts, don't mean to have a go at anyone. I think the site is great and appreciate all the hard work that's been put in.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
May 19 2014 08:01

Yeah, rather than "why do we not have a Europe forum" I think the question should be more "should we really have Africa/Asia/North America etc sections?"

Especially as discussion from in those areas could probably be split into the existing other forms

I think basically the rationale for us having them was to try to encourage people from areas where people were less likely to contribute, so they wouldn't think their topics would be out of place (as the main forums are Europe-heavy)

so for consistency I think we should delete the regional forums, and merge them with the international forums, however I would worry that we would put off some posters…

What do people think?

We have had a big decline in use of the forums over the past few years (but a bigger increase in use of the other parts of the site), so rather than create new forums we should probably consolidate some existing ones

Spikymike
May 19 2014 19:21

Or alternatively just get rid of the 'Groups Forums' as selected groups can still run their own blogs on the site and announcements can go in the UK, Regional or Announcements Forums.